Overdue on storage fees for one frostie...(long)

Overdue on storage fees for one frostie...(long)

June 19th, 2015, 5:34 pm #1

Ugh!!! Ladies, I dont know what to do. We have one perfect 6 day frostie at SG, and have got to make a decision. I'm ignoring the notices and hope they don't report me to a collection agency. Unfortunately, transfer is not an option. Although, I would love for it to be, I'll be 50 next week. DH and I have many hesitations. I regret not transferring 3 years ago and have been trying to get over depression caused from my regret. I think about another miracle constantly, but I just got to get on with life.

I am soooo grateful for my DS, he is awesome and I enjoy being a mom to him every second, minute, hour, day, etc.. He is our miracle and I actually think he is content being an only child; he gets a ton of attention and sleeps with us every night. We really have a great family and hopefully if all continues to go well, DH and I will be able to fully retire in 5 years when DS is 9. We are by no means rich, we were just fortunate to have been able to work for good companies for a long time. We saved as much as we could and are debt free. Hopefully, good health will keep us going for many years.

I put off asking DH about what to do with frostie, because he has been dealing with a lot of life events this year. I brought it up the other day and suggested we pay another year. He refuses to pay another year of storage fees. Right now, at this point in time, I have a hard time donating. I have not read my contract to see if that is even allowed. I am just procrastinating on the whole situation, just "frozen" about what to do.

Shady grove options are pay fee, transfer, thaw and dispose.

My questions are:

Anyone have frosties via DE at SG, if so, do you know if they have restrictions on our options?

Do clinics take one perfect 6 day frostie for donation?

Is donation for stem cell research an option for DE embie? What about other research options for donation?

Any other options? I know I can do a compassionate transfer, but I'm not going to do that.

On a side note I talked with an acquaintance of DH, he just graduated college and starting on master's. A great kid whom I think grew up from a privileged family. He mentioned he was an only child and I asked if he liked that. He said yes and that after 11 attempts his parents had him. So I assumed he meant 11 infertility treatments. Hearing that story brought tears to my eyes, hope he did not notice it.

If you have read this far, I appreciate it. Thanks for "listening".

June 20th, 2015, 2:11 am #2

Even with two, given that I was in a position of having to get them shipped internationally to be able to use them, I was a mass of what-ifs. Of course, I had the twins and had not planned on having more than two kids. Have you asked SG about what their options are? {{{Hugs}}} I can't feel the anxiety now that the boys are five and I know that I just couldn't tolerate another pregnancy, but I remember how hard it was at the time. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

June 20th, 2015, 6:56 pm #3

Ugh!!! Ladies, I dont know what to do. We have one perfect 6 day frostie at SG, and have got to make a decision. I'm ignoring the notices and hope they don't report me to a collection agency. Unfortunately, transfer is not an option. Although, I would love for it to be, I'll be 50 next week. DH and I have many hesitations. I regret not transferring 3 years ago and have been trying to get over depression caused from my regret. I think about another miracle constantly, but I just got to get on with life.

I am soooo grateful for my DS, he is awesome and I enjoy being a mom to him every second, minute, hour, day, etc.. He is our miracle and I actually think he is content being an only child; he gets a ton of attention and sleeps with us every night. We really have a great family and hopefully if all continues to go well, DH and I will be able to fully retire in 5 years when DS is 9. We are by no means rich, we were just fortunate to have been able to work for good companies for a long time. We saved as much as we could and are debt free. Hopefully, good health will keep us going for many years.

I put off asking DH about what to do with frostie, because he has been dealing with a lot of life events this year. I brought it up the other day and suggested we pay another year. He refuses to pay another year of storage fees. Right now, at this point in time, I have a hard time donating. I have not read my contract to see if that is even allowed. I am just procrastinating on the whole situation, just "frozen" about what to do.

My questions are:

Anyone have frosties via DE at SG, if so, do you know if they have restrictions on our options?

Is donation for stem cell research an option for DE embie? What about other research options for donation?

Any other options? I know I can do a compassionate transfer, but I'm not going to do that.

On a side note I talked with an acquaintance of DH, he just graduated college and starting on master's. A great kid whom I think grew up from a privileged family. He mentioned he was an only child and I asked if he liked that. He said yes and that after 11 attempts his parents had him. So I assumed he meant 11 infertility treatments. Hearing that story brought tears to my eyes, hope he did not notice it.

I know Cooper will do this. Often people end up reserving multiple batches of small numbers of embryos in order to make certain that they have one or two for a transfer since not all survive the thaw and continue to grow.

I know Cooper accepts donations from other clinics sometimes. So, you could check with SG and if they don't have a donated embryo program, see if they could donate to Cooper or another clinic.

I'm so sorry that you are wrestling with this decision. I know it must be very hard.

June 21st, 2015, 12:03 am #4

Do you know if Cooper would accept donations of frozen embryos from overseas clinics?

June 21st, 2015, 3:07 pm #5

My understanding is that the biggest difficulty is that Customs (via FDA?) regards embies as tissue. Also, the Czech Republic is veerrryyy strict about allowing embies to leave the country. Maggie (in VA)

June 22nd, 2015, 3:05 am #6

My questions are:

I only have a minute, but please call SG and ask to talk to someone about their new embryo donation program. I think Michele (don't recall last name) handles it. There are also other options for donations-- we are looking at Crystal Angels.

I'll try to write more tomorrow!

June 22nd, 2015, 5:28 pm #7

Do you know if Cooper would accept donations of frozen embryos from overseas clinics?
If you want, I can give you the info of the coordinator and you can contact her directly and ask questions.

June 22nd, 2015, 6:16 pm #8

yes I would like the info of the coordinator, if you can post it here; if not, you can email me at chang14000@hotmail.com

thankx

June 22nd, 2015, 11:42 pm #9

My questions are:

I think I have finally come to a decision to do something w/ our 3 frozens. To transfer them myself is now off the table; took me a long time to accept that. The biggest obstacle for that is my age; time just flies by and DS is now 4.5 and finally I have accepted the fact that I don't feel like I could transfer these embryos myself...we should have done it 3 years ago but now; I just can't...If I was 2-3 years younger maybe yes, but as much i try to stay youngish looking for DS it's all catching up w/me and I look older ...I'm in perfect health but I do look older than I would like to...
And to be honest; I think this is what our family was supposed to be. And w/ just one child we have a tad more resources to spend on 'fun' things for DS and for us, trips to Disney, extra days off with him just because I love to be home with my son( & maybe doing something for my face to keep it 40 something looking...I haven't been called his grand mom yet and I would like to keep it that way...)
Now we just have to decide what to do w/ the embryos; it is mainly up to DH as I have no genetic connection to these embryos but he is really having a hard time deciding whether to donate...even w. best intensions one never knows what kind of 'situation' the embryos go to and what could happen later for the family and the child. It is time for us to let go of those 3 frozens; now the hard part of deciding what to do with them...
keep us posted what you decide to do; it is not an easy decision by any means I've found out.

Greetings,

zane

June 23rd, 2015, 3:18 pm #10

That is what I have difficulty with also. Not knowing what could happen later for the child born into whichever family decides to take the embryos. I am hoping to do a known donation, rather than anonymous. But even that bugs me because I just don't know what the child's fate would be.