Our potential donors, so far - your advice?

Our potential donors, so far - your advice?

March 11th, 2011, 2:17 am #1

We're waiting for complete data on 2 different donors, but here's what we know about them so far. Part of what is making this even more challenging is that we are looking for a Latina donor. There aren't terribly many proven (not just experienced) Latina donors out there!

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children
Cycle #1: 15 eggs retrieved; 12 fertilized; 5 embryos; 2 fresh transfered-BFN; BFP with subsequent frozen transfer. This does not seem great to me.
Cycle #2: don't know yet

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; 3 children, youngest is 2 years old
Cycle #1: BFN with fresh cycle, but couple moved on to a surrogate; BFP with frozen cycle, via surrogate. Awaiting complete cycle results.
Cycle #2: Awaiting complete cycle results. 10 eggs; stimmed for only 5 days because eggs developed much more quickly than expected. Had to fly to clinic for retrieval earlier than expected and did HCG on plane. No pregnancy results yet. Am worried about how quickly she stimmed this cycle.

The wait is maddening. But maddening as the wait and search are, we won't go with the wrong donor. We'll just keep looking. (I'm more ok with continuing to look than is DH. DH is confusing experienced with proven, so I have to keep explaining the difference. He's just anxious to get this party started, as am I.) We would very much like enough embryos to give us a reasonable shot at a sibling. I know...we are asking for quite a bit!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
Last edited by elseeG on March 11th, 2011, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dee
Dee

March 11th, 2011, 2:30 am #2

I would not go with Donor #1.

Donor #2 looks better by far.

March 11th, 2011, 2:42 am #3

are worth a small fortune right now! Thank you for taking the time.
Last edited by elseeG on March 11th, 2011, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2011, 2:59 am #4

We're waiting for complete data on 2 different donors, but here's what we know about them so far. Part of what is making this even more challenging is that we are looking for a Latina donor. There aren't terribly many proven (not just experienced) Latina donors out there!

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children
Cycle #1: 15 eggs retrieved; 12 fertilized; 5 embryos; 2 fresh transfered-BFN; BFP with subsequent frozen transfer. This does not seem great to me.

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles
Cycle #1: BFN with fresh cycle, but couple moved on to a surrogate; BFP with frozen cycle, via surrogate. Awaiting complete cycle results.
Cycle #2: Awaiting complete cycle results. 10 eggs; stimmed for only 5 days because eggs developed much more quickly than expected. Had to fly to clinic for retrieval earlier than expected and did HCG on plane. No pregnancy results yet. Am worried about how quickly she stimmed this cycle.

The wait is maddening. But maddening as the wait and search are, we won't go with the wrong donor. We'll just keep looking. (I'm more ok with continuing to look than is DH. DH is confusing experienced with proven, so I have to keep explaining the difference. He's just anxious to get this party started, as am I.) We would very much like enough embryos to give us a reasonable shot at a sibling. I know...we are asking for quite a bit!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
they both got bfps with frozen transfers. That is great news. Although after my experience, I would try to go with a donor 25 or younger, but then finding someone proven will be really tough. Donor #2 might have some of the indicators of PCOS. Oh this is all so hard, who really knows?!

Bear

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 11th, 2011, 3:08 am #5

and from here you are not considering any different donors (either by waiting for the clinic to provide more or agency-searching), then I would probably consider the two you picked about "even" fertility-wise. Then pick one over the other based on non-fertility traits (looks, education, gut feeling, etc).

good luck with your decision!

ALM
ALM

March 11th, 2011, 3:50 am #6

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
I think you are better off continuing to look, especially if you are hoping to have more than one child. The donor I'm to cycle with in April will be #4 for her, and a shared cycle

Cycle #1 - 11 eggs, 10 fertilized
Cycle #2 - 22 eggs, 21 fertilized
**Currently on cycle #3, I'm part of #4

* All parties involved had positive pregnancies. This could mean 4 parties if they were shared cycles, or 2 parties, or 3 if one was shared and one was not. Either way, I figured with these results I should be able to at least get a couple of blasts. If they had come back and told me that she had a cycle result like either of the two donors you're looking at, I wouldn't choose her.

That's not to say I'm right! Not at all. That's just my $0.02. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide!

E&H
E&H

March 11th, 2011, 6:52 am #7

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
Would never use a donor who stimmed in 5 days as the eggs will be bad quality although her drugs will be cheap (sorry). the other donor would also be a no go too unless of course you have no other choices. If no other choices I'd go for number 1.

March 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm #8

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
Have you looked in the Albuquerque clinic? I know when I did donor embryo there, nearly every profile I was offered was for hispanic, and I think all the couples used a donor.

Sorry but neither of these donors seems like a great choice.

Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on March 11th, 2011, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm #9

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
Hi there. Well, I know how hard it is to find a donor you love. After looking at more profiles than I can count and going back and forth with wanting and then losing several of them, I finally decided what I wanted was this: young (under 25) and proven. It was not my only criteria of course, but I would not have chosen someone otherwise no matter how much I liked her. Our donor didn't produce a ton of eggs in any cycle I think the max was 15 and for our's she produced 13), but the majority of them created high quality embryos. We have twins from a FET. I would keep looking.

March 12th, 2011, 7:28 pm #10

Donor #1:
2 previous cycles
Age 27; no children

Donor #2:
2 previous cycles

Any thoughts?

Thanks, ladies.
then I would. These aren't awful results, but they aren't stellar either. Having gone through DE (and I was damned lucky to be successful first time), here's my thoughts on choosing a donor:

- A donor with her own children trumps any 'proven' donor, even if the proven is younger and especially if she has 2 or more children. This is the sign of a woman with fertile, good quality eggs.

- A donor with her own children (per the above) who is between 23 and 28 and has had one successful cycle would be the ideal. I am wary of donors who have never cycled as you don't know how they will stim. You want to at least have an idea going in.

- If you must go with one of the two you mentioned, I go with #2. Doing HCG on a plane is no big deal. Stimming quickly can sometimes become a problem, sometimes not. It can be tough to gauge how a donor will do. Our 2x proven 'rock star' donor took FOREVER to stim and then produced a large quantity of what turned out to be mostly so-so eggs. Fortunately, we had our little jewel in there as well. But our RE (from the top clinic in the US) was very surprised at how she stimmed.

- All this being said, the number of eggs you get is nowhere near as important as quality. So don't be judging your donor candidates by number of eggs previously produced. You want to look at live birth rate per cycle. Also, 'rock star' donors don't always come through. In fact, I am somewhat leery of donors who have had multiple BFP/live birth cycles because I always think that the odds are going to fall not in my favor. This is a numbers game (as well as a Mother Nature game!) and even the best donor is going to have BFN cycles mixed in with BFPs.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you can find the perfect donor for you and your husband soon.

Keep us posted!