OT - IVIG may help treat Alzheimer's disease (x-post)

OT - IVIG may help treat Alzheimer's disease (x-post)

July 18th, 2012, 12:34 am #1

I learned of IVIG on these boards as a treatment for Natural Killer Cells, etc. Just saw today that it may be helpful for Alzheimer's.http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/sto ... e=timeline

Thought others here might find it interesting.

xoxo, Tracy

July 18th, 2012, 2:23 am #2

It's a terrible disease. My mom has it, and I worry for her and worry about getting it myself.

July 18th, 2012, 4:13 am #3

I learned of IVIG on these boards as a treatment for Natural Killer Cells, etc. Just saw today that it may be helpful for Alzheimer's.http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/sto ... e=timeline

Thought others here might find it interesting.

xoxo, Tracy

Lost my dad to Alzheimers and my mother is in late stage now. I'm terrified of what the future holds. Now I just hope the damned FDA gets off it's rear and gets this approved in my lifetime. Frankly, the way healthcare and medical insurance are today I figure the chances it is approved and actually covered by insurance before I begin to go downhill are slim to none.

Thanks for posting.

sas

Tracy
Tracy

July 18th, 2012, 6:24 pm #4

But I agree that the real challenge will be getting the FDA to approve and get insurance companies to cover. It is a costly drug, but hopefully if it gets used on a massive level they can somehow reduce the cost. Nice to see some kind of a break through though! Sending Prayers to your Mom and GulfGal's Mom.

xoxo, Tracy

July 18th, 2012, 9:34 pm #5

After reading that EPA (in fish oil) could modulate NK activity, I took several grams of high EPA fish oil a day early on, and finally stayed pregnant. I took a huge leap of logic and decided to get my mom on a high EPA fish oil and see if maybe it helps her with her cognitive decline. :/ At the least, it cannot hurt.

Tracy
Tracy

July 19th, 2012, 1:27 am #6

It may very well help her! Keep us posted. Sending good thoughts.

xoxo, Tracy