OT got scared for absolutely nothing

OT got scared for absolutely nothing

April 24th, 2012, 5:06 am #1

Hi,
I"m sitting here typing away when I hear footsteps behind me in the garden. I'm too scared to turn around so I went and got the dog and sent him out.

Its a giant Kookaburra leaping about on the dry Fall leaves. OM heavens and here I was with my heart beating in my ears. I thought it was another burglar.
I need a stiff gin now best, THK

April 24th, 2012, 5:51 am #2

Glad it was nothing bad!

April 24th, 2012, 10:33 pm #3

Hi,
I"m sitting here typing away when I hear footsteps behind me in the garden. I'm too scared to turn around so I went and got the dog and sent him out.

Its a giant Kookaburra leaping about on the dry Fall leaves. OM heavens and here I was with my heart beating in my ears. I thought it was another burglar.
because that post scared me. LOL Glad things are ok.

April 25th, 2012, 3:24 pm #4

Hi,

I'm sorry you were scared, but this made me giggle. All I know of "kookaburra" is a song we learned in kindergarten, which I'd forgotten until seeing your post! It's fun to have friends in faraway places.

April 25th, 2012, 4:28 pm #5

Somehow I missed this completely in the news when it happened, but Men Down Under were sued and lost due to the appropriation of "Kookaburra" in the flute solo in "Land Down Under." I had always assumed that the musical allusion to "Kookaburra" was an intentional reference, but apparently not. The publisher -- I thought it was a folk song, but it was written by a teacher and under copyright -- sued and won a share of royalties. It's certainly not as clear as the plain, if unintentional, plagiarism of "He's So Fine" by George Harrison in "My Sweet Lord." I would think this is bound to have a chilling effect on the creative community. Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on April 25th, 2012, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2012, 6:28 am #6

HI Maggie,
Last week the flutist who did the flute rift for the Men at Work song took his own life. It was reported that the court case broke him mentally.
cheers, THK

April 26th, 2012, 6:30 am #7

I'm sorry you were scared, but this made me giggle. All I know of "kookaburra" is a song we learned in kindergarten, which I'd forgotten until seeing your post! It's fun to have friends in faraway places.

HI Jen,
My nephew told me that kookaburras only 'kook kook ka ka' (their birdsong) when someone or something enters their territory. I like them here as they are sort of like watch dogs. The kookaburra I saw was the biggest one I've ever seen. Went to take a pic and it flew away, best, THK

April 26th, 2012, 3:09 pm #8

HI Maggie,
Last week the flutist who did the flute rift for the Men at Work song took his own life. It was reported that the court case broke him mentally.
cheers, THK
Yeah, I learned about it in the context of the report of his death, but the cause was still in question at the time. What I don't understand is that Ham said, "In over 20 years no one noticed the reference to Kookaburra." But I think it's just the opposite, everyone noticed, but everyone assumed it was intentional, like the strain of "Yankee Doodle" in "Dueling Banjos." It makes me so sad that he felt people thought he was a plagiarist, when I, at least, thought it was just normal creativity at work. And I was about as surprised to hear that "Kookaburra" was still under copyright as I would be if I learned "Yankee Doodle" was. The copyright owners for "Kookaburra" were asshats for pursuing this, IMO. Maggie (in VA)