Omega 3 supplements anyone use them?

Omega 3 supplements anyone use them?

May 23rd, 2012, 12:37 am #1

I have been encouraged to use them to help with Ross speech development he has made major strides but not where he should be at 3, if I had to take a guess he is at the 2yr old level. I bought some that was a highly recommended brand it came in a capsul and I would squeeze it into his mouth. The give him a milk chaser, and some other foods. Well both nights I did this he threw up his food in about 30 minutes later.

I found the same brand in gummies but 30 of them are almost 30 dollars. I know its a small price to pay compared to possible benefits. Just wonder if they will make him sick also. Any experience out there the brand I bought is Nordic and it says no fishy taste but as Maury says "and thats a lie" I tried putting it in his juice but no way

May 23rd, 2012, 12:47 am #2

I use these for my apraxic daughter and I see improvement in attention as well. We see Dr. A.g.in and according to her you need pretty high doses that you work up to once you plateau. I usr nordic 369 which is adult strength. Not sure gummies would give you a high enough dose. She is at 5 capsules every morning. I squeeze them into 1/4 cup of strawberry yogurt and give a small cookie as a reward. My daughter likes the oil in yogurt although I gag just mixing it up for her. I buy it from Amazon.

May 23rd, 2012, 12:53 am #3

I have been encouraged to use them to help with Ross speech development he has made major strides but not where he should be at 3, if I had to take a guess he is at the 2yr old level. I bought some that was a highly recommended brand it came in a capsul and I would squeeze it into his mouth. The give him a milk chaser, and some other foods. Well both nights I did this he threw up his food in about 30 minutes later.

I found the same brand in gummies but 30 of them are almost 30 dollars. I know its a small price to pay compared to possible benefits. Just wonder if they will make him sick also. Any experience out there the brand I bought is Nordic and it says no fishy taste but as Maury says "and thats a lie" I tried putting it in his juice but no way

Zane just turned a few of us on to a product by Burleans. There is a fish oil "lemonaide swirl" they make that my LO just LOVES. It's really nice tasting and he gobbles it up. It is about the consistency of a smoothy. They also have an orange swirl that has higher levels of Omegas for adults. I imagine you can get what you need with those. Google burleans fish oil swirl and you will see what they have. Amazon has a full line. I'm really happy with it.

Thanks again Zane!

GL

sas

May 23rd, 2012, 1:11 am #4

which are strawberry flavored. my ds loves them, but dd won't take them so definitely depends on the child. we get them at whole foods. i think it's a great idea even without any speech issues for kids to be taking this type of supplement. i tell my ds it's his "brain food" good luck finding something ross will take

May 23rd, 2012, 2:18 am #5

They're called "Omega-3 + Vitamin D3 Gummies"; I get them from drugstore.com, and they taste very good. I take them and my daughter takes them (in addition to a multi-vitamin). They're not that expensive.

Maya

May 23rd, 2012, 2:48 am #6

My kids are excited by the packets. I subscribe and save on Amazon.

May 23rd, 2012, 9:17 pm #7

Barleans Omega Swirl, my kids personal favorite. It is a sweet, creamy lemon flavor. You cannot taste the fish in it at all! My kids salivate when they see the bottle coming out of the fridge. You can buy it at most vitamin stores (including the Vitamin Shoppe, if you have that chain near you) It has to be refrigerated, so I dont know if you can order it online.

Another great tasting one that comes in packets is called Coromega. I have ordered this one online, and it doesnt have to be refrigerated. My kids do prefer the omega swirl over coromega.

The gummy fish oil has very, very little omega 3 in it compared to the 2 above brands, and the gummy aspect is very bad for teeth, so I wouldnt go with those.

My kids hated all the other versions of fish oil I tried, including the dr. sears one and nordic naturals.

BTW, it really helped my kids language, so I would give it a go. My kids are past the language worry now (onto other worries!!), but I still give it to them daily. It has so many health benefits.

MW

May 24th, 2012, 12:16 pm #8

Do you never give your kids candy? I realize that gummy candy isn't something you'd want your kids eating buckets full all the time, but considering how much they like it (kids in general, my DD in particular), I think it's fine in moderation. And what better way to enjoy the sweetness of candy than to have it serve double-duty as a source of vitamins and/or Omega-3's?

I just think it's interesting how differently people think about these things. So I really am curious-- Do you (or other people here) have a strict "anti-candy" policy? How do you keep your kids from wanting it and begging for it?

Maya

May 25th, 2012, 12:35 am #9

My kids are excited by the packets. I subscribe and save on Amazon.

I ordered some gummies that claim to have more then the average gummie and I compared it and it did.

Last edited by Dee.S on May 25th, 2012, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 12:38 am #10

Do you never give your kids candy? I realize that gummy candy isn't something you'd want your kids eating buckets full all the time, but considering how much they like it (kids in general, my DD in particular), I think it's fine in moderation. And what better way to enjoy the sweetness of candy than to have it serve double-duty as a source of vitamins and/or Omega-3's?

I just think it's interesting how differently people think about these things. So I really am curious-- Do you (or other people here) have a strict "anti-candy" policy? How do you keep your kids from wanting it and begging for it?

Maya

Lolly pops, raisenets and gummies. If they get candy 4-5 times a month I be surprised.