Off topic - recommendations for general fertility support

Off topic - recommendations for general fertility support

April 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm #1

Hi old friends, hope you are all well and having lots of success!

I have a friend that has been having miscarriages. She has tested positive for some immune issues but her RE is dismissive of them. I have advised her that her best resource is other women, but that the only forum I've been on in years is DE only. Can anyone recommend an informational forum for frequent miscarriages - non DE?

Thanks,
Maggie

April 30th, 2012, 1:57 pm #2

Hope things have been going well for you in recent months. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

April 30th, 2012, 2:41 pm #3

I have a friend that has been having miscarriages. She has tested positive for some immune issues but her RE is dismissive of them. I have advised her that her best resource is other women, but that the only forum I've been on in years is DE only. Can anyone recommend an informational forum for frequent miscarriages - non DE?

Thanks,
Maggie
I posted about this last week so it's not far down. She should check out Dr. Beer's book and clinic and there is a yahoo group.

April 30th, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

Thanks,
Maggie
Just wanted to know how you are doing. I have thought about you often. Would love an update on you. Feel free to email me at Ladybug 1820 at bellsouth dot net (no spaces).

Would the over 40 high FSH board be helpful?

Maggie in FL
Maggie in FL

April 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm #5

Thanks,
Maggie
Thanks to all for asking about me. I have taken a break from everything because my health has been weird. I have lots of symptoms that I couldn't even begin to to try to explain, it would be a book. My doctor recently tested me for Lyme disease, not because she believes in it or knows anything about it, it was more of a "let's throw this up against the wall and see if it sticks" move. Of course, I tested positive. Now I'm trying to find a doctor in central Florida that knows anything about it. So far, all I've found out is that legit doctors won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm not trying to give the impression that I think Lyme disease is my answer now. Just telling you my latest! I am supposed to have a hysterectomy soon because I've had a pelvic prolapse since my last miscarriage, and my doctor thinks we should go ahead and take out the remaining ovary since my mother died of estrogen-related breast cancer.

I know my update sounds miserable, but I'm living a very happy life. I have a great husband and I did manage to have a child eleven years ago with heparin and baby aspirin, before my body said no more! So we have a great family. I hope to get back on board the adoption and/or surrogacy train later this year after my surgery.

Thanks for you help
Maggie

April 30th, 2012, 3:11 pm #6

Thanks,
Maggie
Fertility Friends. It is coordinated by someone called Agate and also includes an extensive FAX on recurrent miscarriage testing etc. I would highly recommend that she may like to post on there for info. and support.

There are many immune issues which are pretty mainstream so I really cannot understand why her RE is so dismissive. Among the most common m/c causes are:-

Chromosomal (age related)
Karyotype (either partner) to discover possible genetic issues
Uterine issues
Clotting factors (including auto immune issues like APS)
Thyroid issues
Autoimmune issues (includes thyroid, rheumatoid factor, antinuclear antibodies, lupus anticoagulant etc)
Infection for both partners
Sperm problems

There are treatments for many of these.

She may be better off finding a knowledgeable reproductive immunologist or consider changing clinics to find a sympathetic doctor.

The links to Fertility Friends are:-

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum ... board=52.0

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum ... c=260560.0

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum ... c=242395.0

Best of luck,
Daisy

April 30th, 2012, 9:06 pm #7

Thanks to all for asking about me. I have taken a break from everything because my health has been weird. I have lots of symptoms that I couldn't even begin to to try to explain, it would be a book. My doctor recently tested me for Lyme disease, not because she believes in it or knows anything about it, it was more of a "let's throw this up against the wall and see if it sticks" move. Of course, I tested positive. Now I'm trying to find a doctor in central Florida that knows anything about it. So far, all I've found out is that legit doctors won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm not trying to give the impression that I think Lyme disease is my answer now. Just telling you my latest! I am supposed to have a hysterectomy soon because I've had a pelvic prolapse since my last miscarriage, and my doctor thinks we should go ahead and take out the remaining ovary since my mother died of estrogen-related breast cancer.

I know my update sounds miserable, but I'm living a very happy life. I have a great husband and I did manage to have a child eleven years ago with heparin and baby aspirin, before my body said no more! So we have a great family. I hope to get back on board the adoption and/or surrogacy train later this year after my surgery.

Thanks for you help
Maggie
My sister also had weird symptoms and was told all kinds of things and was also tested for Lyme disease. The "Lyme doctor" was positive she had Lyme. Turns out she has MS. Not a good thing to have, but good to know finally what it is. I hope you have neither!

May 1st, 2012, 2:21 pm #8

Thanks for you help
Maggie
You have been through so much, yet you have a wonderful attitude. Glad that you are happy and hope that as you pursue your journey to another child you have the success you deserve.

My DH was dx with Lyme disease over 20 years ago when they were first dxing this disease. I know they have come a long way from when he was dx. Do make sure that you follow up on testing with it. I feel like we did not do all we could, but no one knew much about it and the internet was non existent to the public.

Take care