demomone

March 13th, 2013, 1:38 am #2

How can I help you?

tonya
tonya

March 13th, 2013, 2:03 am #3

sorry for the list of questions!
did you cycle for DE at NYU? any details welcome
any doctors for DE there that you would recommend a consult with?
can you use an agency of your choice?
what is the staff like in general in your experience?
how do they feel about ICSI and do they do CGH?
anything else you can think of I would love to hear your experience

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 2:19 am #4

They are very efficient and very nice. Runs like a well-oiled machine for monitoring, etc. I met most of their doctors and found them to be knowledgable and pleasant, though I had my own preferences.

They will let you bring in your own donor from an outside agency. Their in-house donor wait is pretty long at this point, and it's anonymous (baby pix only), two reasons why I didn't pick NYU for my DE cycle. If those two factors weren't in play, I'd have loved to have used them, as I like the practice very much and respect it a lot.

tonya
tonya

March 13th, 2013, 2:27 am #5

thank you. can I ask why you didn't use an agency? was it cost related, is an agency so much more costly? any drs you would rec for a DE consult or just make the appt with the head DE doc there?

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 2:37 am #6

Hi!

I don't think anyone there would be considered the top DE doc--they're all equally prepared for DE patients, as far as I know. For me, I need something resembling a guarantee (of some sort) since cost is definitely an issue and I want to be able to do multiple tries if I don't get lucky out of the gate. The NYU cost + donor fees was just a total deal-breaker. Believe me, I'd rather stay put in NY but NYU offers no kind of guarantee, even for FETs.

Their lab is really good. But for financial reasons, I'd be there in a flash.

tonya
tonya

March 13th, 2013, 2:41 am #7

i understand your reasons now and appreciate all the info

March 13th, 2013, 2:45 am #8

anyone cycle with NYU fertilty center for DE? looking for info on their program
I cycled at NYU for about 7 years before I did DE. Staff is amazing and efficient. Never waited longer than 15 minutes to monitor. All call backs before 3pm and most before noon.
Dr.Licciardi is head of the DE program and a wonderful doctor. I used Dr. Noyes and liked her honesty and she is a great surgeon. I probably would go to Dr Licciardi if I were starting over. Dr. Kump actually did my transfer when I got PG. Dr. Grifo is great if you are young and using your OE but he is often out of the office and hard to reach. I did not have much to do with the other doctors and I think there are three more. It is a teaching hospital but you can request to have an attending monitor you rather than a fellow. I only had attendings monitor me.
We decided to use in house program because they really knew me for years and did a great match but it did take a year. Just know, that NYU does the most extensive testing on their donors and that would include additional testing on agency donors which will add to your cost. They do reject about 60% of their donor applicants.
We had to sign papers for ICSI but did not have to use it on our donor. They do not use it if not needed. I was happy about that, as the jury is not out on the side effects of ICSI. Not sure about CGH. They are open to alternative treatment but will not prescribe any meds such as Lovenox, prednisone,etc. If you are diagnosed with an immune disorder that they think needs treatment, they will refer you to physicians who treat those disorders and they will require medical letters to clear for cycles.
I would highly recommend the center.
Last edited by demomone on March 13th, 2013, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBean
HappyBean

March 13th, 2013, 2:50 am #9

i understand your reasons now and appreciate all the info
Looks like Demomone said Licciardi is the head of the DE program. He's one of the ones I liked quite a bit! Just FYI.

tonya
tonya

March 13th, 2013, 3:59 am #10

I cycled at NYU for about 7 years before I did DE. Staff is amazing and efficient. Never waited longer than 15 minutes to monitor. All call backs before 3pm and most before noon.
Dr.Licciardi is head of the DE program and a wonderful doctor. I used Dr. Noyes and liked her honesty and she is a great surgeon. I probably would go to Dr Licciardi if I were starting over. Dr. Kump actually did my transfer when I got PG. Dr. Grifo is great if you are young and using your OE but he is often out of the office and hard to reach. I did not have much to do with the other doctors and I think there are three more. It is a teaching hospital but you can request to have an attending monitor you rather than a fellow. I only had attendings monitor me.
We decided to use in house program because they really knew me for years and did a great match but it did take a year. Just know, that NYU does the most extensive testing on their donors and that would include additional testing on agency donors which will add to your cost. They do reject about 60% of their donor applicants.
We had to sign papers for ICSI but did not have to use it on our donor. They do not use it if not needed. I was happy about that, as the jury is not out on the side effects of ICSI. Not sure about CGH. They are open to alternative treatment but will not prescribe any meds such as Lovenox, prednisone,etc. If you are diagnosed with an immune disorder that they think needs treatment, they will refer you to physicians who treat those disorders and they will require medical letters to clear for cycles.
I would highly recommend the center.
thank you, definitely going to set up a consult. how are they regarding privacy and disclosure? for ex, when you are released to an OB, do they alert your OB that you did DE? i am aware they make you have a visit with a psychologist, any other things recipients have to do besides the usual blood tests?