NPR story on IVF & Twins Today

NPR story on IVF & Twins Today

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 30th, 2011, 9:49 pm #1

Interesting story on IVF/Twins on NPR today. EST time 5:35 ish. They are talking to an MD from Shady Grove. It's a bit frustrating - they have much anecdotal evidence but aren't presenting hard numbers on twins. Which they say are "completely avoidable" with ivf. Really? Eggs never split?

It's seems to be very anti-transferring two embies....

ks
ks

March 30th, 2011, 10:57 pm #2

My RE at SG was very SET. We really had to push for 2 to be transferred. He is one of the leading RE's in SET with fantastic results. And I do get it as the risks with multiples is very high. I ended up pregnant with 2 but sadly we lost one at 8 weeks due to a SCH. Now mind you if we hadn't done two I very likely could have lost my one and only when I had that bad incident.

Now even though my RE was an SET guy he was willing to do what we asked, but I would have loved to have seen his face if we had wanted 3 transferred! LOL!

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier I would have loved to have seen this segment!

All my best to you!

ks

March 31st, 2011, 12:43 am #3

Interesting story on IVF/Twins on NPR today. EST time 5:35 ish. They are talking to an MD from Shady Grove. It's a bit frustrating - they have much anecdotal evidence but aren't presenting hard numbers on twins. Which they say are "completely avoidable" with ivf. Really? Eggs never split?

Just finished an FET with her last 3 embies. She is having identical twins...not fraternal. One of those embies was REALLY high quality!

I don't see how anyone could say that it is completely unavoidable.

Leigh888
Leigh888

March 31st, 2011, 1:04 am #4

I think I may have the same RE as KS. My RE there is also very pro SET. I knew our embryos were not good when he recommended we transfer two.

March 31st, 2011, 1:15 am #5

when I got into my car to commute home. I was struck by the interview with an IVF-mom of twins who is a Medical Doctor herself and barely seemed to have considered the potential risk of possible complications to herself and babies when she selected to transfer 2.

I also love that it mentioned Aetna will give it's covered patients one extra "free" FET if the initial SET fresh transfer doesn't work, effectively expanding their IF coverage. Certainly the costs of an extra IVF cycle are far lower than the costs of NICU care for preemies or treatment to stop premature labor in mom. I used to have coverage from Aetna through DH's employer but sadly we maxed it out.

The one thing that seemed missing in the story was PGD screening of the embryos in order to stop the transfer of non-viable ones. For patients who have had many failures, the impulse to transfer more than one is hard to resist, after all, if the embryos aren't tested, you have zero idea if their chromosomes are normal.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/30/134960899 ... twin-trend

March 31st, 2011, 1:24 am #6

made me feel better about the fact that I have just one genetically healthy embie on ice (5 were tested but 4 were abnormal). Intellectually I know that one embie is all that I need to possibly get pregnant, but emotionally, hearing this story was helpful for me and my personal situation.

Julie
Julie

March 31st, 2011, 1:44 am #7

I did put back 2 on both my fresh and frozen cycles and ended up with just 1 LO. I don't think they would have considered putting back 3 like I had done at my previous clinic. I think part of it at SG is that they really want to comply with ASRM rules. They perform the largest number of transfers in the country (I think) and don't want anything like Octo-mom upset their business. After all, it is their business and how they get paid. Bad publicity for too many multiple births is not good for them. And I should add that I was very pleased with my treatment there -- good doctor, good nurses, peace of mind that I had the shared risk program. And, of course, my little girl.

MacRita
MacRita

March 31st, 2011, 2:27 am #8

I found the eSet article on the SG web site over the weekend.

Another issue to consider, unless I'm missing something?

If you do a shared cycle, you've got fewer frozen embryos. Say you are lucky enough to be successful on your first eSet. Some time later, you'd like a sibling. Your chances of that with SG are very low -- in the low 20s. I've seen other clinics with far higher FET success.

I don't have insurance coverage of any sort, so someone offering me a free FET wouldn't help. Likewise, a free FET with such low probability of success isn't really worth too much.

So while carrying twins is higher risk, I certainly understand why many of us wouldn't fight hard to avoid a 2-embryo transfer.

Did I get that right? Does anyone know if SG had better FET success in '10?

March 31st, 2011, 8:01 am #9

one took and split one did not. If I had transfered one may not have become Mum (frozen may not have done aaas well).

March 31st, 2011, 4:23 pm #10

It feels to me as though so much of the mainstream media reporting on the need to discourage multiple transfers has a blame-the-victim slant. And this story wasn't quite that bad, but it still doesn't broach the big, big question: why is IVF still so expensive in the U.S. As the story someone posted from Newsweek last year points out, it's a commodity medical procedure, and other commodity medical procedures like Lasik have come down in price dramatically. Lower the cost of IVF, fund the improvement of egg vitrification so that we can have egg banks more like sperm banks so the cost of DE will drop, and the incentive to transfer >1 will diminish so that women aren't willing to take that risk anymore.

I'm glad Aetna is doing what it's doing, but I would rather see the insurance companies applying some pressure to the fertility industry to lower prices. After all, viewed cynically, ESET is just another money-maker for clinics.

I *don't* believe patients as a general proposition don't understand the risks of twins; perhaps many don't, but I certainly did. And I transferred two anyway. When you're under that longing and financial pressure, you just don't think about it the same way, and that's aside from my cycling overseas. I really thought it wouldn't happen to me, but in any case, I'd rather have had twins than no babies. But when the U/S tech said, "You do realize there are two in there, don't you?", I thought, "Oh, G--, what have I done?"

And I'm glad they quoted the woman who said, "I'm someone who wanted more than one child . . . and I would have wanted to have a second child anyway. So, it means I won't have to do this again." Going for a second child, especially when you're older and financially strapped and have to take care of the first child, is just hard -- a visit to the pink board will bear that out. I just thank heaven every day that Bob and Fred were born healthy.

Maggie (in VA)