No way on the PIO. No way in ******** **** I am doing

No way on the PIO. No way in ******** **** I am doing

Anon7
Anon7

June 20th, 2011, 12:55 am #1

this. I am calling the clinic now. I just took the needle out and looked at it. OMG. It's inhumane. They are going to HAVE to figure out something else. Period. Not doing it.

June 20th, 2011, 1:05 am #2

I took cyclogest 400 mg 3 x a day on my successful twin cycle and crinone 2 x a day on my successful single cycle. We never do PIO shots here and they dont in Europe or UK either.

SamanthaL
SamanthaL

June 20th, 2011, 1:30 am #3

this. I am calling the clinic now. I just took the needle out and looked at it. OMG. It's inhumane. They are going to HAVE to figure out something else. Period. Not doing it.
I use a 22 g and it's not bad at all.

Just buck up and do it and I promise you won't think it's as bad as you are building it up in your head! Do you have someone that can do it for you?

Keep thinking of the end result, focus on it!

Just think, it'll be nothing compared to child birth, getting an epidural and/or having a csection.

Seriously, just try it one time and if you really can't handle it then talk to your RE about another option.

Good luck

June 20th, 2011, 1:35 am #4

Really, this is how I frame a lot of things that I am petrified of and it is true. They are not near so scary once I've tried it.

Well...

I was walking in the night
And I saw nothing scary.
For I have never been afraid
Of anything. Not very.

Then I was deep within the woods
When, suddenly, I spied them.
I saw a pair of pale green pants
With nobody inside them!

I wasn't scared. But, yet, I stopped
What could those pants be there for?
What could a pair of pants at night
Be standing in the air for?

And then they moved? Those empty pants!
They kind of started jumping.
And then my heart, I must admit,
It kind of started thumping.

So I got out. I got out fast
As fast as I could go, sir.
I wasn't scared. But pants like that
I did not care for. No, sir.

After that a week went by.
Then one dark night in Grin-itch
(I had to do an errand there
And fetch some Grin-itch spinach)......

Well, I had fetched the spinach.
I was starting back through town
When those pants raced around a corner
And they almost knocked me down?

I lost my Grin-itch spinach
But I didn't even care.
I ran for home! Believe me,
I had really had a scare!

Now, bicycles were never made
For pale green pants to ride 'em,
Especially spooky pale green pants
With nobody inside 'em!

And the NEXT night, I was fishing
For Doubt-trout on Roover River
When those pants came rowing toward me!
Well, I started in to shiver.

And by now I was SO frightened
That, I'll tell you, but I hate to....
I screamed and rowed away and lost
my hook and line and bait, too!

I ran and found a Brickle bush
I hid myself away.
I got brickles in my britches
But I stayed there anyway.

I stayed all night. The next night, too
I'd be there still, no doubt,
But I had to do an errand
So, the next night, I went out.

I had to do an errand,
Had to pick a peck of Snide
In a dark and gloomy Snide-field
That was almost nine miles wide.

I said, "I do not fear those pants
With nobody inside them."
I said, and said, and said those words.
I said them. But I lied them.

Then I reached inside a Snide bush
And the next thing that I knew,
I felt my hand touch someone!
And I'll bet that you know who.

And there I was! Caught in the Snide!
And in that dreadful place
Those spooky, empty pants and I
were standing face to face!

I yelled for help. I screamed. I shrieked.
I howled. I yowled. I cried,
"OH, SAVE ME FROM THESE PALE
GREEN PANTS WITH NOBODY INSIDE!"

But then a strange thing happened.
Why, those pants began to cry!
Those pants began to tremble.
They were just as scared as I!

I never heard such whimpering
And I began to see
That I was just as strange to them
As they were strange to me!

So...

I put my arm around their waist
And sat right down beside them.
I calmed them down.
Poor empty pants
With nobody inside them.

And now, we meet quite often,
Those empty pants and I,
And we never shake or tremble,
We both smile and we say..."Hi!"

June 20th, 2011, 1:38 am #5

and trust me, it really doesn't hurt. It is totally about getting over the fear. One of the first ones I did, I chickened out and jabbed myself superficially and that hurt, but once I just went for it, full on, it amazed me that I didn't feel it! It hurts less than the belly stim shots, I swear. Is the clinic close enough where they could do the first few for you? I had the nurse do my first one and then draw circles on my upper butt where I needed to aim for. It wasn't an x marks the spot kinda deal, but two BIG circles that I just had to hit anywhere within that area. You can do it girl!!!

Here is a great site with techniques for doing it. I ended up doing mine laying on my side propped up on the arm of the couch. http://ivfshootemup.blogspot.com/search/label/PIO

xoxo, Tracy

June 20th, 2011, 1:41 am #6

I use a 22 g and it's not bad at all.

Just buck up and do it and I promise you won't think it's as bad as you are building it up in your head! Do you have someone that can do it for you?

Keep thinking of the end result, focus on it!

Just think, it'll be nothing compared to child birth, getting an epidural and/or having a csection.

Seriously, just try it one time and if you really can't handle it then talk to your RE about another option.

Good luck
Do it looking in the mirror with your weight on the other leg. I never put the needle in like a dart, admittedly, but it was fine. One thing that might help this first time is to go get some Vagisil - it's like 20% benzocaine - and your skin will be NUMB. Also when you finish, rub rub rub.

I do understand E&H's point - it certainly is not compulsory everywhere - but do you have an alternative for tonight to keep your cycle on track? (Keep in mind I really am the biggest weenie. My hands were shaking for my first shot and I was terrified. I am scared to death of snakes and spiders. Thunder and lightning too. And busy highways and ohmysweetlord high overpasses. I fight fear and fear sometimes returns to me but I keep on fighting it. And it feels good to conquer it).

Anon7
Anon7

June 20th, 2011, 1:50 am #7

and the nurse was mean and irritated and basically said what's the problem and that's the protocol and was really harsh. She said there was no alternative and that I needed to just do it. I said I can't that's why I called you. About 5 minutes of this, and I finally said - Okay, I'll just come by the clinic in the morning then so I can sit down with the doctor and figure something out and hopefully my period won't come before then.

Then she was so annoyed she said she'd call the doctor on call. He just called me back and didn't give me a hard time - just said here's what we're going to do.....

he's calling in a prescription for crinone gel for 2x per day and oral progesterone 3x per day. Not ideal, but I seriously am having an absolutely phobic reaction to the needle. I started sweating and I'm in a/c that is below 70. Whew. Now I just get to be the hysterical, pain in the A** patient. Great.

Whatever. I just had a crying jag over this.

June 20th, 2011, 1:58 am #8

i think this woman does a good job of showing that it's no biggie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjZm5uXwy4

like her, i never did any ice or any heat. i think that just puts off the inevitable and makes the whole process take too long. i was on lovenox injections as well as climara patches every other night. i always just wanted to get the meds over with so i could get on with my evening.

i used to have dh do it, but to me it freaked me out not knowing when he was going to plunge. once you do it, you'll see how nothing it is. the only part that stings SLIGHTLY is when it first breaks the skin. after that, it just slides in... like butter

make sure you are using the 22G needle. they may have given you 18G, as well. those are just to suck up the oil. then you switch the needle out with the 22G, which is thinner.

what i do is i find the spot i want to hit, and i put the needle gently against the skin, while holding the skin a little taut. then i slowly plunge it in. i never jab it in or go fast. i've found that slow and easy makes it less traumatic.

once you do it, you'll feel like you've conquered the world. let us know how it goes!!!

E&H
E&H

June 20th, 2011, 2:01 am #9

and the nurse was mean and irritated and basically said what's the problem and that's the protocol and was really harsh. She said there was no alternative and that I needed to just do it. I said I can't that's why I called you. About 5 minutes of this, and I finally said - Okay, I'll just come by the clinic in the morning then so I can sit down with the doctor and figure something out and hopefully my period won't come before then.

Then she was so annoyed she said she'd call the doctor on call. He just called me back and didn't give me a hard time - just said here's what we're going to do.....

he's calling in a prescription for crinone gel for 2x per day and oral progesterone 3x per day. Not ideal, but I seriously am having an absolutely phobic reaction to the needle. I started sweating and I'm in a/c that is below 70. Whew. Now I just get to be the hysterical, pain in the A** patient. Great.

I am terrified of needles but I did manage to have depot proluton every 3 days when I started bleeding when pregnant which is the same as PIO. I would definitely try and give tonights so that you are in sync and then tomorrow start with the crinone. Ask dh or someone to do it for you, I do it for my patients and they say it doesn't hurt, put the needle in slowly and press the syringe very slowly. Just one is ok, honestly. Please try to do tonights.

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

June 20th, 2011, 2:08 am #10

I did my obligatory IVF OE cycle last yr and my clinic at the time did crinone. I have been on vaginal suppositories for 3 yrs, what's another 3 months w/ DE. I am going to do the same thing and will mention this at my first dr appt. I can care less what they think. I know that I will not hurt my chances by my method of P4 delivery.

One of my secondary board friends is currently pg w/ DE twins and she got a major infection from her PIO shots and required 2 hospital stays. I think this is rare to get an infection but she did.

Good luck,

futurebeauty