DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 29th, 2014, 8:15 pm #31

Is this a test that is contained in a repeated loss panel? I don't have access to anyone who can run anything "non-traditional".. We will not go see any more doctors at this point... No RI for me. We had to draw a line in the sand.
Only a handful of labs in the country can run these tests. In addition to the thrombophelia panel, you need an NK Assay as well as Dq-Alpha matching testing and possibly HLA matching. What many do that do not go to an RI is get a free consult with SIRM, Dr. T in New York charges but I believe Sher in Vegas gives fee consults. They will then set up the testing. If you are lucky enough to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, almost all might be covered.. Even with Dr. Kwak. Even if you don't, you can get a discount. IMHO its worth doing the testing as the first line of treatment is cheap. Intralipids and prednisone and possibly Lovenox. I was on all three.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 29th, 2014, 8:17 pm #32

Cytokines tested. Much more info in the Yahoo Reproductive Immunology Group.

January 29th, 2014, 8:19 pm #33

Only a handful of labs in the country can run these tests. In addition to the thrombophelia panel, you need an NK Assay as well as Dq-Alpha matching testing and possibly HLA matching. What many do that do not go to an RI is get a free consult with SIRM, Dr. T in New York charges but I believe Sher in Vegas gives fee consults. They will then set up the testing. If you are lucky enough to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, almost all might be covered.. Even with Dr. Kwak. Even if you don't, you can get a discount. IMHO its worth doing the testing as the first line of treatment is cheap. Intralipids and prednisone and possibly Lovenox. I was on all three.
I am going to hell for self-medicating but I had leftover dexamethasone from my SIRM cycle (egg vitrification trial = no transfer) in lieu of the prednisone, and the lovenox because of the previous losses.

I think these things were as important for me as using someone else's gametes since my first losses were at only 26 and 31 yrs old so not a matter of old eggs.

January 29th, 2014, 8:25 pm #34

Still, I think taking the high EPA fish oil is a "can't hurt/might help" for almost anyone though maybe someone else will have input.

For your husband...has he considered taking supplements to boost mitochondrial function of his sperm? PQQ, cordyceps, CoQ10, d ribose etc? Just a thought. Would your husband possibly consider a cycle with part donor sperm and part his? I know someone who ended up choosing this route, transferred 2 (3?) on day that included both her husband's sperm and donor, and got pregnant with a singleton, who turned out to be her husband's genetic child.
I've had him on proceptin for over a year.. No, he won't consider a split cycle at this time. I think we'll try PICSI when we use another donor. His count is over $100 million. It's a matter of finding one with good dna apparently.

January 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm #35

To admit that I just don't want to pursue this? I know that it may very well mean I end up CFNBC. I totally believe in RI but just don't want to. Is that awful? We don't have bc/bs and there's just no more money to give to this. I've been unable to find a job for a long time and lost a six figure salary. I know some would give their very last dollar to this but I can't. Maybe that makes me unworthy of getting a child but it is what it is. I think I've gone as far as I'm willing to go in the circles of hell...

Ann
Ann

January 29th, 2014, 9:01 pm #36

I was vulnerable and did all sorts of crazy treatments I didn't need, and eventually had success without it. I should have listened to my RE, it really is a controversial area with no proof. Or as my RE put it, there has never been one shred of evidence that NK cells kill embryos, none. The NK cells that are found with POC are there because the embryo died.

Hoping your take home baby lies either in the freezer or in the next cycle. Sometimes it takes a few tries, I am so sorry.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 29th, 2014, 10:54 pm #37

To admit that I just don't want to pursue this? I know that it may very well mean I end up CFNBC. I totally believe in RI but just don't want to. Is that awful? We don't have bc/bs and there's just no more money to give to this. I've been unable to find a job for a long time and lost a six figure salary. I know some would give their very last dollar to this but I can't. Maybe that makes me unworthy of getting a child but it is what it is. I think I've gone as far as I'm willing to go in the circles of hell...
I'm sure we all get it. You are well within your rights to do what is best for you and your famiy. You have been through a trauma. An ongoing, painful, gut-wrenching trauma. It does not make you unworthy to parent to feel what you feel. Who wants to invite pain into their lives if they don't have to? In particular, I get just wanting your life back. I just want to say that things are still fresh and are an open wound right now. Maybe not think about making any decisions at all right now. Sending lots and lots of hugs to you.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 29th, 2014, 10:56 pm #38

I was vulnerable and did all sorts of crazy treatments I didn't need, and eventually had success without it. I should have listened to my RE, it really is a controversial area with no proof. Or as my RE put it, there has never been one shred of evidence that NK cells kill embryos, none. The NK cells that are found with POC are there because the embryo died.

Hoping your take home baby lies either in the freezer or in the next cycle. Sometimes it takes a few tries, I am so sorry.
Many would too. There is indeed evidence to the contrary. I would just suggest that people do their own research.

Mrs..McIrish
Mrs..McIrish

January 29th, 2014, 11:33 pm #39

I'm sure we all get it. You are well within your rights to do what is best for you and your famiy. You have been through a trauma. An ongoing, painful, gut-wrenching trauma. It does not make you unworthy to parent to feel what you feel. Who wants to invite pain into their lives if they don't have to? In particular, I get just wanting your life back. I just want to say that things are still fresh and are an open wound right now. Maybe not think about making any decisions at all right now. Sending lots and lots of hugs to you.
No decisions now is probably the best thing to do...

January 30th, 2014, 12:07 am #40

I hear you on the money issues. I also have a refund plan (SG) and purchasing it stretched our finances to the breaking point. We absolutely can't spend any more. Look at all you have already gone through and sacrificed! No one could say you haven't been all in. We all have a financial line-- it says nothing about how deserving you are to be a mother or what kind of mother you would be. I could rant about how easy it is for some to have babies and how little they value it, but I won't go there.

You are wise to hold off deciding right now. When you are ready to think about it, please keep in mind that SIRM docs (at least Sher in Vegas) do free consults. They also are able to access testing at a discounted rate (or so it seemed when i consulted with them). I think I spent less than $700 on the initial testing I did with them. I did some more in-depth testing with Braverman and spent about $1500 more.

Some of the therapies used by the RIs are VERY costly (Neupregen, IViG); others, less so (lovenox, intralipids). Some are cheap (steroids, fish oil, claritin). Just something to keep in mind as you mull over your options. SIRM was conducting a study several years ago to see if fish oil was as effective as IViG-- don't know how that worked out. Definitely don't try to self-medicate for a suspected immune issue. I spent a lot of time reading about RI-- it's complicated. Taking a med you don't need (even fish oil) could have unintended consequences.

Take the time you need. Post when you need to, and please just focus on taking good care of yourself.

Many hugs,
Sophie