"Night training" or whatever you want to call it

"Night training" or whatever you want to call it

May 26th, 2012, 10:29 pm #1

Ds has been potty trained for more than a year. He's reliable & accident free, & has been ever since our 4 day potty training "bootcamp," but he still wears a diaper at night. Some days he's dry, but many times he's not.

Let me admit up front we are not great about cutting of liquids early, which we know we will need to do.

We know many people IRL whose kids are in this same boat, so I don't feel like it's hugely unusual, but I'm wondering if it's time we try to be more proactive.

So here's my main question. Assuming we cut off liquids earlier, will he actually learn from having some accidents & become night dry or will we simply be doing laundry & changing sheets long-term?

I guess I'm curious to know if just letting him go & having him experience some accidents will actually assist in the learning process or if it will just be a huge amount of work for us with no end in sight.

He does sleep very deeply & he does not wake up when he has to pee, which is why we've avoided this issue so far. It also seems as if he pees in the morning rather than in the middle of the night.

May 27th, 2012, 1:44 am #2

I am just NOT a fan of changing wet sheets in the middle of the night... at all! So, I'm not really sure of an answer for you since my DS is the same age, but I wanted to reply to at least say hello

It seems to me, that if your DS is wetting his diaper during the night (even if it's in the morning hours), then he is just not awake enough to be able to realize it and get to the bathroom in time; therefore, letting him wet the bed isn't going to make him learn. On the mornings that he is dry, I assume you take him to the bathroom immediately?

Once my DS was (finally!) potty trained, at almost 4 years old (ugh), DH insisted he wear underwear at night. I rolled my eyes, knowing it would be ME to clean everything up. Well, we had two incidents early on, and have not had any since then. Hallelujah, something went right for me When DS does have to go in the middle of the night, it's 11 pm- midnight, but this is rare. So maybe, this is the way to go for you, too... maybe this is what he needs and you will only have a few incidents too. I know, I've contradicted my answers, so not much help, sorry!

Lots of luck to you, the potty training thing has just about killed me!

May 27th, 2012, 2:38 am #3

Ds has been potty trained for more than a year. He's reliable & accident free, & has been ever since our 4 day potty training "bootcamp," but he still wears a diaper at night. Some days he's dry, but many times he's not.

Let me admit up front we are not great about cutting of liquids early, which we know we will need to do.

We know many people IRL whose kids are in this same boat, so I don't feel like it's hugely unusual, but I'm wondering if it's time we try to be more proactive.

So here's my main question. Assuming we cut off liquids earlier, will he actually learn from having some accidents & become night dry or will we simply be doing laundry & changing sheets long-term?

I guess I'm curious to know if just letting him go & having him experience some accidents will actually assist in the learning process or if it will just be a huge amount of work for us with no end in sight.

He does sleep very deeply & he does not wake up when he has to pee, which is why we've avoided this issue so far. It also seems as if he pees in the morning rather than in the middle of the night.

nt
Last edited by Maybelline on August 15th, 2016, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 3:01 am #4

He was also a very heavy sleeper. I would set a loud alarm for 4am for him to get up and pee and he would sleep right through it till I got him up to pee. And he would still wake up wet. We tried limiting liquids, doing the prescription medicine...nothing worked. Finally it occured to me that he needed to pee a lot during the day and what if his bladder was on the small side? I got him to start holding his urine for a little while during the day before going to pee (but tried to encourage him not to go overboard) and wham no more night accidents. He was 9 at this point. If nothing else works and you are still in this position down the road, it's an idea to keep in your back pocket. Hopefully he just needs to mature and produce more vasopressin and this issue will address itself naturally. This did not work for my foster son though as even the px stuff did not help at all.

May 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

I don't know if I have any answers.... When my DS had sleep apnea, they said it could increase bed wetting at night. Something about the sleep patterns....

My son pee'd at night for a few months? Then magically, it stopped and he gets up if he has to go.

I've heard that some here will get their boys up when they go to bed or even in the middle of the night (ugh) to get them trained some how.

We used a night diaper with a pullup on backwards so that it was high in front - and then no leaks.

We tried less liquids but didn't really cut off. I think we gave some fruit at night to satisfy some liquid feeling - strawberries etc.

Sorry to not have any better ideas. I know someone who used some sort of electronic thing - it worked, but that sounds kind of creepy to me (a dad told me they used it).

Good luck! Andrea

1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt
Last edited by AndreaMomma on May 27th, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 4:14 pm #6

DS was potty trained during the day shortly after turning 3. I wanted to stop diapers completely. At night what we'd do at first is put him to sleep and then get him up to pee a few hours later (we were awake so it's easy), usually 10 or 10:30 pm. Then we started letting him go without the extra visits. He can make it through the night with dry underwear but does have accidents at time (he recently turned 4). When he has an accident we usually revert to the extra visit to the bathroom for a few nights and then stop. It is a pain to have to change the bed at night. I read somewhere that some Mom puts an extra fitted sheet and bed pad on so she can just strip them off and not have to put new ones on. GL!

May 27th, 2012, 10:34 pm #7

Their bladder muscles are still strengthening, by cutting out the liquids it trains him and the bladder. At 4 my son may have had 3 accidents a year, he is now 6. The other thing you can do, is wake him before you go to bed to have him get up and go once during the night, I did this also, of course make sure he goes right before bed. He will naturally stop going at night as his bladder muscles get stronger, by cutting out the liquids at bedtime you take pressure of the developing muscles.

Last edited by Dee.S on May 27th, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 1:14 am #8

DD was totally potty trained during the day at 22 mths - yep very early BUT she wore pull-ups at night until 5 1/2 yrs as she was such a sound sleeper. Gradually she got better and stopped the pull-ups. I say, why not just let him go to bed in pull-ups and then you don't have all this worry about night-time wetting. If he is not concerned about wearing them, then I say let him and he will eventually grow out of it. If he does not want to wear the pullups them yes, limit drinks 2 hours before bed and cover where he sleeps with a folded towel to catch any accidents. If he does wet the bed, take off the towel and the sheets are dry underneath. Good luck.

8 Years Ago it was just DH and me.
DD(7),DD(4),DS(4) & DS(2)
(now thinking about a dog)

May 28th, 2012, 2:01 am #9

Ariadne, IMO, that he wakes up with a get diaper now may or may not mean anything... My DDs were using night diapers well after being daytime potty trained. When we ditched the nighttime diapers one of them went on to wake up dry every day, and the other one went on to have accidents very often, for over two years... and she still has occasional accidents even now. I hope your DS turns out to be like my first DD .

May 28th, 2012, 2:36 am #10

my hunch we should wait a while longer.

Waking him up simply isn't an option b/c we are not a family where the kids are in bed several hours in advance of the adults. I struggle mightily to get enough sleep as it is, so setting an alarm is unequivocally out unless we need to take more drastic measures in the distant future. (I'm in bed for a decent number hours but the sleep is not quality. Thank you, perimenopause, I think.)

I'll think we'll just leave things as they are for now, other than maybe becoming more diligent about liquids. At some point we need to do that. We just need to decide when so we can stick with it. (As we did for potty training. Once we make up our minds, we're firm, but we have to get there ourselves first. LOL!)

Andrea, I think One Step Ahead sells that alarm thing. I did see it & would consider it, but not in a situation where I felt he was just not there, biologically. Which I feel right now & you all really confirmed.

I appreciate it. He's not protesting the diapers. He proudly tells us when he's dry & he tells us he's wet very matter-of-factly, so I'll guess we'll hope for a true dry streak & maybe try then. At this point, it does seem as if he's not able to wake up beforehand. My mom predicted he would call out for us & say he has to go or get up & go, but neither has happened. Not even once.