Newbie with a few questions

Newbie with a few questions

Justkeepswimming
Justkeepswimming

September 22nd, 2011, 2:44 pm #1

Hi there, after my 4th IVF attempt we are now seriously considering DE. We think we will have to do it by February next year due to DH work calendar.

I was looking into Shady Grove and some other clinics. For the past 8 months we've been living in Asia but we are willing to travel to the US or any other place, once we find the right clinic.

These are some of our requirements so please let me know if you know of a clinic that meets them.

1. We would like to see adult pictures of the donors as well as medical history
2. Would like to have the option of a shared risk cycle
3. Donor must be screened

I can't think of anything else right now, so if any of you think there is something else to consider please let me know. I'm fairly new to this.

Thanks

September 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm #2

There are a lot of SG ladies here, and I'm not, but I think SG doesn't show adult photos of donors. Would you prefer a west coast clinic, or does it matter? I'm going to think you and/or DH aren't Asian or you would take advantage of the affordable Asian clinics. If you're of northern European or African heritage, I think South African clinics allow you to see adult photos, and that's a lower cost destination -- would that be an easier trip?

Pretty much all U.S. clinics will screen donors according to ASRM guidelines, so is there something in particular you were concerned about? Actually, the Czech clinic where I cycled follows ASRM guidelines, too.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 23rd, 2011, 9:52 am #3

Thanks for responding Maggie,

We are not Asians so we can't do DE here. I have checked some clinics in South Africa and you are right they seem pretty affordable plus sounds like a nice vacation.

The reason we want to see adult pictures is because we wouldn't want anyone to know we used DE, so even if I don't expect to find my twin sister I still would like her to have some resemblance. Also I want to make sure that the clinic screens the donor, since we worry about our future child's health. I know is more costly that way but DH and I have decided we rather spend the extra cash than take the gamble. Money is not really an issue, although we don't want to pay 100K for a super fancy egg.

This whole process seems so overwhelming sometimes and right now it's almost surreal. But we want to be parents and I want to experience pregnancy.

If there are other things I should be looking into please let me know, since I'm new to this.

September 23rd, 2011, 3:28 pm #4

Then I'd pick one of the west coast U.S. clinics with a good rep as I would think that would be the easiest traveling for you. That is, unless South Africa appeals to you, and we have a few women here who have cycled there and liked it. There are plenty of women on the board who can advise on west coast clinics.

As I said, you don't have to worry about clinics screening donors: all reputable U.S. clinics screen their donors according to ASRM guidelines. That's why I asked if there were a particular concern, b/c that doesn't mean they screen for every potential genetic issue, and if you know that your DH is a carrier for something obscure, that's a different matter.

Now, if what you mean is that you don't want to use a clinic's in-house donor pool or you don't want to be limited to a clinic's in-house donor pool, then I get out of my depth as I used my European clinic's in-house pool, so I don't know whether the agency or the clinic screens an independent donor. But one way or another, your donor is going to be screened, b/c the clinic's adherence to ASRM guidelines requires it.

After that, then I'd just give a word of warning that DE can eat up a lot of money quickly, even if you feel you're in good financial shape to start, and it doesn't always work the first time, so plan financially in terms of doing a few cycles. Also, do you have a local clinic that you would trust to do FET's? Can you ship any frosties from a U.S. cycle to that clinic so that you don't have to come to the U.S. for FET's?

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

September 23rd, 2011, 3:28 pm #5

Hi there, after my 4th IVF attempt we are now seriously considering DE. We think we will have to do it by February next year due to DH work calendar.

I was looking into Shady Grove and some other clinics. For the past 8 months we've been living in Asia but we are willing to travel to the US or any other place, once we find the right clinic.

These are some of our requirements so please let me know if you know of a clinic that meets them.

I can't think of anything else right now, so if any of you think there is something else to consider please let me know. I'm fairly new to this.

Thanks
Hi there,

E&H, who posts here, has several DE children and she has information on an IVF clinic in Kuala Lumpur. Through this board I have heard of several Australian women now who have done DE cycles in KL with Caucasian donors. You could post asking her to respond, or you could post on the "pg and parenting after DE" board....she is more active on that forum I think, although she visits here too.

Al
Last edited by AlinAsia on September 23rd, 2011, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justkeepswimming
Justkeepswimming

September 25th, 2011, 5:21 am #6

Thanks
Thanks both for your responses,

Maggie - I don't have a clinic that I would trust with frozen embies here, in fact I'm not sure they would even do it if I asked them to. One of the reasons we wanted to go to the US is because of the screening. No particular concern in this regard, we just want to do whatever we can to have a healthy child.

October 23rd, 2011, 1:33 am #7

Thanks
Shady Grove did allow me to see adult photos if the donor allowed it. I'd say they had them for more than half. They also mentioned switching to a larger database in the February timeframe so it would make sense for you to inquire about that database given your timing.