New With Questions

February 18th, 2014, 10:21 pm #1

Hi, I am new to the DE process. I am single, soon to be 44, and a teacher. I live in Washington State. I did three inseminations a few years ago, that ended with no baby. I had high FSH and they told me to move on to DE. I have spent the next few years saving the money, and now I ready to start the process. I called Cooper and I asked about the Doner Embryo program, they quoted me $4,100. Has anyone used this program, any success stories. I don't mind traveling, but I also need to look at how much it will cost. Any other programs that are good. Also I am thinking of having basic immune testing done for peace of mind, where do I go to have that done. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Reese

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 19th, 2014, 2:30 pm #2

We are just starting the donor process in Seattle and are working with Pacific Northwest Fertility. So far we have had a good experience with them. I know they also have a donor embryo program as well but I don't have a lot of information about it.

February 19th, 2014, 2:43 pm #3

Hi, I am new to the DE process. I am single, soon to be 44, and a teacher. I live in Washington State. I did three inseminations a few years ago, that ended with no baby. I had high FSH and they told me to move on to DE. I have spent the next few years saving the money, and now I ready to start the process. I called Cooper and I asked about the Doner Embryo program, they quoted me $4,100. Has anyone used this program, any success stories. I don't mind traveling, but I also need to look at how much it will cost. Any other programs that are good. Also I am thinking of having basic immune testing done for peace of mind, where do I go to have that done. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Reese
I have no info about the embryo adoption, but I'm sure someone else here will.

Regarding immune testing-- there are only a handful of actual RIs (Reproductive Immunologists). Few REs will do a full immunology panel (which varies a bit from dr to dr anyway). The RIs I know of are:
1. Dr. Braverman (NY)
2. Dr. Kim Kwak (Chicago)
3. The Beer Center
4. Dr. Matzner (CA- a somewhat limited practice when I contacted him several years ago)

You may also be able to do some testing through one of the SIRM centers (They did free consultations a few years ago and offered some discounts on testing a few years ago and probably still do.) I had some additional testing with Dr. Braverman. Unfortunately, I found both him and his office a bit disorganized. Someone pls correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Cooper is a big fan of RIs at this point (i think he used to do some testing & treatment). I did consult with Cooper several years ago for OE IVF and liked him very much.

For more info on how immune issues impact pregnancy / miscarriage and what treatments are available, you should check out the Immunology Board--https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/imm ... pport/info

I'm sorry you've had to wait a while to get to where you are- it shows how determined you are. Wishing you success!
Sophie

February 19th, 2014, 2:45 pm #4

Thanks,
Reese
I went to Cooper when I was still cycling with my OEs. I did briefly look into their donor egg program but decided not to pursue it.. It had a really long waiting list and the process was confusing--sending out lists every 8 weeks or so and you'd rank the choices. You'd only get to pick if you were "high enough" on the list. It wasn't for me. I don't know if they do it the same way for donor embryos but I know waiting for a year wasn't going to work for me. My other concern is, as of 2012, Cooper still didn't vitrify. Maybe they do now but if there are older embryos, they'd still be slow-freeze and you would probably lose some in the thaw.
Last edited by Mrs.McIrish on February 19th, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2014, 4:35 pm #5

I ended up not pursuing it but I still don't quite understand how it works. I like that at the clinic I ended up with (in Albuquerque), once I was at the top of the waiting list, all the profiles available were mine to peruse. How lucky I am that I hit #1 just when I did and that she decided to send me the profile for the embryos that would be my children - she almost did not since they had the thaw and refreeze and spent so long frozen. Sometimes I wonder if she knew we'd be a good match and sent them for that reason, but apparently she at least did not always provide that profile.

For OP: it was about $4800 for me but the price has since gone up to something like $6000. All told, I spent about $8000 for everything - meds, local monitoring, travel including travel for mock cycle etc.

Reese
Reese

February 19th, 2014, 4:44 pm #6

What is OP, is that a clinic? Thanks, Reese

February 19th, 2014, 4:51 pm #7

OP= original poster. N/t

February 19th, 2014, 7:08 pm #8

Thanks,
Reese
Check out californiaconceptions in Davis, CA. They have a freeze-all double-donor split cycle program (they call it "donor embryo," but it isn't in the traditional sense of the term) with a refund program. It costs about $12K last time I looked. Yes, that's more than you have in the bank, but if you qualify and follow their program, you could finance the balance, and if you don't succeed in the end, you would get your money back to pay off the debt. Also, this would be a less expensive trip (potentially by auto?) than flying coast to coast. And as someone who cycled overseas in Europe for financial reasons, I can tell you that adding in the vicissitudes of air travel to cycling is well worth avoiding.

I don't know whether anyone active on this board has cycled there. I think someone mentioned to me a few years back that she was doing their program, and since she was local, they let her do fresh transfers. I don't know if they'd do that for someone out of state, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good luck in all!

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

February 20th, 2014, 1:14 pm #9

Thanks,
Reese
we cycled at SRM in 2009-10; I just read they have since started a partnership w/ RBA in Atlanta using frozen eggs. I don't know what the cost is but it should be considerably less than a traditional DE cycle.
We cycled long distance because they had a very ethnically diverse donor pool with donors that matched my ethnic background. They stuck w/ us through thick and thin; 2 donors and 5 failed transfers, immune testing, Lovenox etc. before we got our little boy!

You do have a lot of choices for good clinics where you are; best luck on your journey,

zane

February 20th, 2014, 2:30 pm #10

Thanks,
Reese
I am not a fan of Coo.per IVF as a former OOT patient who attempted a cycle or two there. The nurse gives instructions over the phone under the supervision at least in theory of the physician on call, but you do not have one physician in charge of your cycle, which is really problematic. I was very disappointed in their IVF program for several reasons which I could elaborate on but won't here (the context was a high fsh on my part so quite different than a donor protocol). I would go with a program that specializes in DE, rather than Coo.per.