New to site with question about donor IVF cost

New to site with question about donor IVF cost

Anna
Anna

May 14th, 2012, 11:35 pm #1

Hello,
I hope it's okay to post this question on this site. My sister has agreed to be a donor for me, and I was wondering what the cost of donor IVF was roughly, if you provided your own donor?

Or does anyone here have recommendations for places in the U.S. that offer donor IVF with good success and reasonable rates?

Thank you!

May 15th, 2012, 12:31 am #2

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I am in New Zealand, but I wanted to say welcome and also to hear your thoughts on using your sister. My sister has also volunteered which is wonderful as there will be a genetic connection, but I have concerns and was wondering if you share those concerns and / or if you have overcome them. Feel free to email me personally. My email is
emilyreid99 @ gmail.com (no spaces)

TTC for 3.5 yrs from age 27
4 rounds on clomifene
2 MC
About to start IVF when...
DD OE 3.5yrs old now
TTC 2.5 yrs for #2
2 rounds of clomifene
1 MC
Dx with DOR Jan 2012
Using DE from sister possibly

May 15th, 2012, 2:29 am #3

Hello,
I hope it's okay to post this question on this site. My sister has agreed to be a donor for me, and I was wondering what the cost of donor IVF was roughly, if you provided your own donor?

Or does anyone here have recommendations for places in the U.S. that offer donor IVF with good success and reasonable rates?

Thank you!
I met a lovely woman with children through the wonderful donation of her sister!!!
okay so going from that great clinics at good prices:

Donors that are with agency or clinic are usually: between 3K and 10K depending on if they are proven.

Shady Grove is great I think it's in Baltimore
Cornell, NYU in New York

you want a GREAT RE who will do an excellent work up on your sister. You want a GREAT Lab as freezing happens more in this than in own egg IVF.

Check out Clinics in the SART website, check under the fresh and frozen percentages for LIVE BIRTH.

And WELCOME!

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2012, 2:41 am #4

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I am in New Zealand, but I wanted to say welcome and also to hear your thoughts on using your sister. My sister has also volunteered which is wonderful as there will be a genetic connection, but I have concerns and was wondering if you share those concerns and / or if you have overcome them. Feel free to email me personally. My email is
emilyreid99 @ gmail.com (no spaces)

TTC for 3.5 yrs from age 27
4 rounds on clomifene
2 MC
About to start IVF when...
DD OE 3.5yrs old now
TTC 2.5 yrs for #2
2 rounds of clomifene
1 MC
Dx with DOR Jan 2012
Using DE from sister possibly
Of course, I'd be happy to "chat" about the issues of using your sister.

Actually, I'm in the very very early stages of this process, so I don't even know if it will work out. But I'll shoot you an email.

Take care!

Anna
Anna

May 15th, 2012, 2:42 am #5

I met a lovely woman with children through the wonderful donation of her sister!!!
okay so going from that great clinics at good prices:

Donors that are with agency or clinic are usually: between 3K and 10K depending on if they are proven.

Shady Grove is great I think it's in Baltimore
Cornell, NYU in New York

you want a GREAT RE who will do an excellent work up on your sister. You want a GREAT Lab as freezing happens more in this than in own egg IVF.

Check out Clinics in the SART website, check under the fresh and frozen percentages for LIVE BIRTH.

And WELCOME!
Thanks for the info!

I spoke w/my local clinic, and they want $18K if I use my sister (!). I was shocked since we'd be providing our own donor. For that high of a cost, I don't think we can manage it. But perhaps I'll call some of the other places you suggested.

May 15th, 2012, 3:06 am #6

..which is about right, depending on the clinic. 18K sounds fairly average for a fresh cycle to me, as long it as includes everything for both you and your donor. Some clinics already mentioned will be MUCH cheaper, especially if they offer shared risk cycle or guaranteed programs, but since you're using your sister, you probably wouldn't want or be able do this type of program.

I used my cousin, and was in a similar situation. We chose not to do any of the guarantee programs because she only wanted to donate once, which was completely understandable to me. It's a big chance and using a family member comes with A LOT of issues, but it can be a beautiful thing. I've heard a fair amount of negative reaction to using family members on the board, but I think most people are just making the point that you need to have your eyes wide open to all the potential problems. Make sure your clinic uses a psychologist or some type of therapist familiar with all the issues and make sure you have both individual and joint counseling sessions. Legal representation will also be necessary.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Having gone through this with my cousin and maintained a great relationship, I'd be happy to talk with you more about it.

Good luck!
Leigh

May 15th, 2012, 3:08 am #7

Thanks for the info!

I spoke w/my local clinic, and they want $18K if I use my sister (!). I was shocked since we'd be providing our own donor. For that high of a cost, I don't think we can manage it. But perhaps I'll call some of the other places you suggested.
I am not sure you know? like why it would be that much as we have insurance. Logic tells me aside from some extra work to sync you both up, testing her, I am not sure what the cost is. I never did regular IVF so I don't know how much regular costs.
The New York Clinics I wrote use alot of known to the intended parent donors, so they may be more open to this. Keep me posted!!!

May 15th, 2012, 3:11 am #8

..which is about right, depending on the clinic. 18K sounds fairly average for a fresh cycle to me, as long it as includes everything for both you and your donor. Some clinics already mentioned will be MUCH cheaper, especially if they offer shared risk cycle or guaranteed programs, but since you're using your sister, you probably wouldn't want or be able do this type of program.

I used my cousin, and was in a similar situation. We chose not to do any of the guarantee programs because she only wanted to donate once, which was completely understandable to me. It's a big chance and using a family member comes with A LOT of issues, but it can be a beautiful thing. I've heard a fair amount of negative reaction to using family members on the board, but I think most people are just making the point that you need to have your eyes wide open to all the potential problems. Make sure your clinic uses a psychologist or some type of therapist familiar with all the issues and make sure you have both individual and joint counseling sessions. Legal representation will also be necessary.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Having gone through this with my cousin and maintained a great relationship, I'd be happy to talk with you more about it.

Good luck!
Leigh
the clinics will want to make sure you have maximum chance at success too. this means for the clinic donors under age 33, rigorously tested, able to handle shots etc. If your sister has children all the better, for me that is a sign of Proven, ALWAYS a good thing.
So, yes, have a clinic who is well versed in this both in the medical and psychological aspect.

green.elephant
green.elephant

May 15th, 2012, 3:21 am #9

Hello,

Thank you!
Cost wise, it should be just a few thousand $ more than regular IVF - The extra expenses would be testing for your sister, and drugs for yourself. Aside from that, it's just like you're doing the IVF, except she is, and you don't have to pay her compensation (I assume). Costs for IVF can vary widely from clinic to clinic, but I'd guesstimate:
donor drugs ($2K-$3K)
your drugs ($1K)
your testing - varies, depends a lot on what you've already had done
her testing + monitoring ($1K-$2K)
IVF - retrieval & transfer (roughly $15-$20K)

Financially, having your sister be your donor saves you a donor fee ($5K+) and a possible agency fee ($5K).

My total cycle was close to $40K, but we used an anonymous donor and agency, and our donor had travel costs. $40K includes all my pre-cycle testing and my mock cycle as well - everything. From what I've read, my cost was pretty high, but we went with a highly rated clinic and a fresh cycle with a donor we really liked - so we sucked up the agency fee & travel costs because she was a really good match.

Hope this info helps!

May 15th, 2012, 7:37 am #10

Of course, I'd be happy to "chat" about the issues of using your sister.

Actually, I'm in the very very early stages of this process, so I don't even know if it will work out. But I'll shoot you an email.

Take care!
I'm very early on with this too and being in NZ, there will be a long wait. I only found out that I would need DE in January. It's nice to have someone on the board in the same scenario. I look forward to your email.