New from UK with questions

New from UK with questions

January 17th, 2012, 7:52 pm #1

Hello-

I am new here! I read about this forum on Fertility Friends in the UK.

I live in the UK outside of London and need to use an Egg Donor...all the clinics I have contacted have long waiting lists and I am not happy with their donor selection.

I am considering traveling to the US. I am concerned about the cycle coordination from abroad and limiting my time traveling. Does anyone know of a clinic in the UK who has a relationship with a clinic in the US for Donor Egg treatment? Or a clinic that imports frozen donor eggs from the US- is this allowed?

Thanks so much!

Ann

January 17th, 2012, 8:04 pm #2

Have you considered going to the Czech Republic (Zlin, for example) or to the Ukraine? It would be MUCH less expensive for you. I'm in Germany and cycled in Zlin.

January 17th, 2012, 8:19 pm #3

Hello-

I live in the UK outside of London and need to use an Egg Donor...all the clinics I have contacted have long waiting lists and I am not happy with their donor selection.

I am considering traveling to the US. I am concerned about the cycle coordination from abroad and limiting my time traveling. Does anyone know of a clinic in the UK who has a relationship with a clinic in the US for Donor Egg treatment? Or a clinic that imports frozen donor eggs from the US- is this allowed?

Thanks so much!

Ann
There's a forum for it on fertilityfriends, I'm pretty sure. British women usually prefer CRM's sister clinic, Reprofit, in Brno, because there are direct flights from one of the London area airports to Brno. But you could fly into Brno, and it's about a ninety minute drive, I think, to Zlin. I made a friend from Wales there when I cycled; she didn't want the long wait for Reprofit and came to Zlin instead (I have twin boys from that cycle; she has twin boys from a later cycle). Now, the donor coordinators select your donors in the Czech Republic, and it sounds as though donor selection is important to you, so you may have already written off Czech clinics. But if cost is important, Zlin is also a very affordable choice.

If cost is less of a consideration, I know that GIVF in the Washington, DC, area markets heavily in England.http://www.givf.com/specialfeatures/out ... ents.shtml They actually got negative publicity when they held one of the usual donor egg cycle raffles that they use in the U.S. as a marketing tool, and that got translated in the U.K. press as they were raffling off an oocyte. Anyway, I don't know whether they are actually affiliated with a clinic, but they very likely are, because I'm pretty sure they are either affiliated or actually own a clinic in China. But they're pretty expensive; I started there, but ended up in the Czech Republic when the bottom fell out of the stock market a few years ago.

Also, I think Shady Grove, also in the DC metro area, has started marketing itself internationally.http://www.shadygrovefertility.com/out_of_area Shady Grove would be a more affordable option, at least if you do a split cycle.

GIVF had a very nice donor pool when I was a patient a few years ago. I've heard less attractive things about SG's pool, but an acquaintance has two beautiful DE children from that clinic. The nice thing about the DC area clinics is that if you haven't been to Washington before, you could do some sight-seeing and enjoy the trip, too.

I don't know whether importation of donor eggs from the U.S. is legal, although I've wondered about the legality of international oocyte shipments before. One issue would be whether the British clinic would have adequate facilities and training to thaw and fertilize vitrified eggs. Egg vitrification is still technically an experimental therapy in the U.S., and that might have some bearing on the legal issues, too.

Good luck!

Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on January 17th, 2012, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2012, 8:25 pm #4

Hello-

Thanks so much!

Ann
Welcome!

I think you may consider reversing the order -- look into US clinics and use a US donor. Many many many US clinics work with international clients, but I imagine finding a donor willing to go abroad for donation might be challenging.

You could work exclusively with US clinics using in house donors, and that would save trouble and money -- there are several folks on this board who can share information and their experiences with.

The laws in Ca, particularly, are very clear and protective of Intended parents, so that would be my first choice, but I am sure you can find good legal protection and clinics on the east coast as well.

Wishing you luck!

January 17th, 2012, 8:45 pm #5

Well, my understanding is that they're raising the level of stipend that can be paid, but I doubt that it would be anything like what a U.S. donor would expect. So sending a compensated U.S. donor to England wouldn't work anyway. Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 17th, 2012, 9:35 pm #6

Hello-

Thanks so much!

Ann
There are plenty of options closer to home than the US, they are also far more affordable. I went to the Cape Fertility Clinic in South Africa and recommend that highly. From choosing our donor it took less than two months to complete the cycle. Although the donors are anonymous you can pick your own donor and you get a lot of information on them. A lot of people have also had success at Zlin in the Czech Republic. Donors there are also anonymous and you get only very basic info, also the clinic makes the match.

I also looked into going to the US but it was very difficult to find a good match, the cost was astronomical and the legal issues are also more problematic as it is not regulated by law in the same way that it is in SA or the Czech Republic. You don't need to do it through your UK clinic, these clinics deal with a lot of foreign patients and have very well designed programs for them. That's another reason I didn't go to the US, as their programs were very US focused, they couldn't prescribe you meds etc.

Good luck! My little miracle turns one on Thursday

diaphanta
diaphanta

January 17th, 2012, 9:46 pm #7

Hello-

Thanks so much!

Ann
I went to South Africa. USA far too expensive - ridiculously so. Very few clinics are happy to transport embryos between countries as things can so easily go wrong.

South Africa is cheap, you can choose a donor as the system is not anonymous as in most European countries, and the service is incredibly supportive and professional.

Try out these links:

http://www.nurture.co.za/

http://www.capefertilityclinic.co.za/index.asp?

If you want to email me directly about flights etc, length of stay and anything else:

mandy dot parry at blueyonder dot co do uk

Good luck!

minniet
minniet

January 17th, 2012, 9:53 pm #8

Well, my understanding is that they're raising the level of stipend that can be paid, but I doubt that it would be anything like what a U.S. donor would expect. So sending a compensated U.S. donor to England wouldn't work anyway. Maggie (in VA)
but did not really absorb it -- so even if a donor comes from another country, the law would apply...

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 18th, 2012, 7:32 pm #9

Hello-

Thanks so much!

Ann
Hi, you may want to consider using frozen eggs which may be slightly less effective, but cheaper and you don't have to coordinate your cycle with donor so your travel from UK to USA would be easier logistically.

Here are links to two clinics in the East Coast that have these programs.

http://www.fairfaxeggbank.com/frozen-do ... formation/

http://www.myeggbank.com/donor-eggs/index.php?Fees-4

Good luck

January 18th, 2012, 7:59 pm #10

Yeah, frozen eggs are definitely an attractive option for an overseas cycler. Be aware that Fairfax Egg Bank is GIVF. I'm not familiar with myeggbank. They're in Atlanta, but they don't look affiliated with RBA (?). This is just me, but at this point in the technology, I'd be reluctant to do a frozen egg cycle except at RBA, which pioneered it. On the other hand, as I said in my previous message, RBA's frozen cycles are a comparatively affordable choice. Maggie (in VA)