New and need advice

New and need advice

February 28th, 2013, 1:39 am #1

Hello Everyone,

I am 38 and have secondary infertility. We have been trying for 3.5 years now for a second baby (its ironical because I got pregnant the first month with my first OE baby back in 2005)...basically diagnosed in 2009 with DOR which progressively and very quickly became POF. Tried TCM, Acupucnture and all kinds of drugs. Now my periods are erratic and I have gone 6 months without it. Stims completely shut me down so no hope with IVF. It took sometime for me to wrap my head around DE but I think i am finally ready. Of course I have my days of doubts....i think that is normal.

I used to be on the high FSH forum and then moved here and so glad that there is such a wealth of info available.

I did find a potential donor near LA. I am willing to travel as she can't. It seems Dr. Acacia is very well known with good success rates and it will work for the donor as she is close by there.

Now I need your help as I have no idea how things work in DE...she is a first time donor so according to the agency I have to pay for her day 3 testing and compensate her $100 for doing the tests (u/s and blood tests). The agency also told me they chose her as an egg donor based on social screening not on any tests?? This agency is Egg Donation Inc (Shelly Smith)
We don't have insurance coverage for IVF but I am hoping for MY tests I can do it with my OB here which will be covered. But otherwise how crazy are the costs with Dr. Acacia? anyone done any cycles with him?

Any advice regarding first time donors?

I feel so overwhelmed...so any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gisg

Last edited by gisg on February 28th, 2013, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2013, 2:54 am #2

Her reviews are generally not very good.

February 28th, 2013, 3:22 am #3

You mean for Shelly Smith?

February 28th, 2013, 3:30 am #4

gave me a visceral negative reaction, though I could not remember details till I searched.

February 28th, 2013, 4:15 am #5

Hello Everyone,

I am 38 and have secondary infertility. We have been trying for 3.5 years now for a second baby (its ironical because I got pregnant the first month with my first OE baby back in 2005)...basically diagnosed in 2009 with DOR which progressively and very quickly became POF. Tried TCM, Acupucnture and all kinds of drugs. Now my periods are erratic and I have gone 6 months without it. Stims completely shut me down so no hope with IVF. It took sometime for me to wrap my head around DE but I think i am finally ready. Of course I have my days of doubts....i think that is normal.

I used to be on the high FSH forum and then moved here and so glad that there is such a wealth of info available.

I did find a potential donor near LA. I am willing to travel as she can't. It seems Dr. Acacia is very well known with good success rates and it will work for the donor as she is close by there.

Now I need your help as I have no idea how things work in DE...she is a first time donor so according to the agency I have to pay for her day 3 testing and compensate her $100 for doing the tests (u/s and blood tests). The agency also told me they chose her as an egg donor based on social screening not on any tests?? This agency is Egg Donation Inc (Shelly Smith)
We don't have insurance coverage for IVF but I am hoping for MY tests I can do it with my OB here which will be covered. But otherwise how crazy are the costs with Dr. Acacia? anyone done any cycles with him?

Thanks in advance.

gisg

Go to Amazon and order The Insider's Guide to Egg Donation - it is filled with really great advice about navigating every step of the process.

PS - I have never heard of a donor being compensated for the medical screening- You should only have to pay for the tests, not additional compensation. If you do proceed, I also highly recommend Counsyl genetic testing for donor and your partner (www.counsyl.com).

February 28th, 2013, 4:46 am #6

gave me a visceral negative reaction, though I could not remember details till I searched.
Thanks BlessedThistle.

I wish I had more choices...I am Asian Indian and there are so so few donors...this one in Shelly's agency sounds good so I feel like I don't have a choice - if I let go of this donor I don't have any others that even come close...not even one:-( The pool is so small with barely any choices.

I will go through the search on this board again..hopefully someone atleast had a good experience....

gisg

February 28th, 2013, 4:54 am #7

Go to Amazon and order The Insider's Guide to Egg Donation - it is filled with really great advice about navigating every step of the process.

PS - I have never heard of a donor being compensated for the medical screening- You should only have to pay for the tests, not additional compensation. If you do proceed, I also highly recommend Counsyl genetic testing for donor and your partner (www.counsyl.com).
Hi Green.Elephant,

Thanks for the book recco will definitely be getting it.
So according to their website the agency pays for eval by geneticist - not sure if thats the same as testing?
I could ask them.

Does my husband also need to do it? we already have our OE child with no genetic issues???

Thanks
gisg

February 28th, 2013, 6:15 am #8

You'll love the book - it's so helpful.

An evaluation by a geneticist is usually just a donor sitting down with a geneticist and going through the donor's family tree with regards to health status for family members. This is VERY different from testing. The Counsyl test is a blood test that screens for over 100 genetic diseases.

Yes - your husband needs to do it to, even if you have an OE child. Why? Many genetic diseases are autosomal recessive - so both genetic "parents" need to have a certain mutation in order for it to be manifested in a child. Your genetic background is not the same as the donor's DNA, and so her results need to be run and then a side-by-side analysis of risk factors will be run with your husband's results. Also, your OE child may have no genetic issues at present time, but these things can have a later onset - personally, I was diagnosed with a genetic disease in my 20s that would have been detectable via blood tests at birth (newborn screening panels are so important!)... but that's me getting off topic...

Good luck!

February 28th, 2013, 9:23 am #9

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

gisg

I know how overwhelming this process can be in the beginning, so I just wanted to wish you good luck. I started DE last year when I was 38 due to POF as well, although I didn't have any OE children. I consider myself very, very lucky - I was able to use a family member for our donor and it worked for me the first time. That being said, it was still a difficult and draining process and it took a lot out of us financially and emotionally. In the end, though, it's 100% worth it and I can't imagine my life without my beautiful baby boy.

Best of luck to you. The ladies here are a tremendous wealth of knowledge, so I hope you come back often!

February 28th, 2013, 5:22 pm #10

Thanks for the response and wishes! n/t