Need help on two fronts, naps and car seat struggles

Need help on two fronts, naps and car seat struggles

February 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm #1

Hi, I'm having problems with our Sunday schedule. I take the kids to church where they play in the nursery while I attend the 9:30AM service. The problem is that the kids fall asleep in the car on the way home and then won't take a proper nap in the afternoon. Most days, I just turn off the engine (or crack the windows and leave it on if we need heat) and nap out with them in the car when we get home. But they still don't sleep as long as they would have. I can't figure out how to get around this short of not going to church, but they really need that play time in these winter months and I really need that spiritual time. Has anyone else figured out a way to manage this? Freddy would probably nap if I went ahead and got them out and fed them lunch and let them play, but Bob hasn't when I tried.

Next, both of them sometimes resist getting in their car seats, but it's a real problem with Bob. He's thirty-something pounds of pure muscle now, and yesterday a woman intercepted Fred about to go out in the street at the playground (and why the #$*@! don't cities put gates on all the playgrounds?) when Bob unexpectedly started to fight me putting him in his seat. I've tried putting their electronic toys in the car to distract them, but it has stopped working. I think I need to move Fred into the Graco Nautilus, b/c I think part of the problem is that it's uncomfortable for Bob (how on earth is that thing supposed to accommodate kids up to 65 lbs?) and let Bob have the Britax, but I expect that may cause anguish of its own. Any suggestions? The outburst was probably the direct result of him not having gotten a sufficient nap.

Many thanks,

Maggie (in VA)

February 27th, 2012, 4:54 pm #2

This happened yesterday. We were playing at a friend's house and though this time we did overextend and leave past naptime, even if I leave well before naptime, something about being in a warm car just puts them to sleep. I have tried talking to them, blasting the radio, acting excited about what we will do when we get home, everything. I can watch them in my rear view mirror with their rolling eyes and drooping lids and know it's hopeless!

The only thing that has worked for us SOMETIMES is to either 1) get home and get undressed as disruptive as that is and put them in their crib, let them scream for 10 min until they fall asleep (if they are going to) or 2) get home and let them play for 15 min, then start naptime routine with a bottle of warm milk and snack and then go down for nap as if that car ride never happened. Really, sometimes it works! But not always and then unfortunately you are just stuck with a disrupted day.

Yesterday I really needed to run some errands so I just drove around on expensive gasoline for an extra half hour so they got about an hour to an hour and a half nap. They were actually okay.

About the feats of strength in resistance - ugh. You may just have to keep rotating carrots, if you know what I mean. I've started to prepare them on the way to the car with subliminal suggestions . . . "When we get to the car, you will get into your carseat with no fussing and no crying." It worked the last time. HG climbed in cooperatively without a peep like a Stepford Toddler. If that doesn't work, I get mean.

February 27th, 2012, 7:00 pm #3

Hi, I'm having problems with our Sunday schedule. I take the kids to church where they play in the nursery while I attend the 9:30AM service. The problem is that the kids fall asleep in the car on the way home and then won't take a proper nap in the afternoon. Most days, I just turn off the engine (or crack the windows and leave it on if we need heat) and nap out with them in the car when we get home. But they still don't sleep as long as they would have. I can't figure out how to get around this short of not going to church, but they really need that play time in these winter months and I really need that spiritual time. Has anyone else figured out a way to manage this? Freddy would probably nap if I went ahead and got them out and fed them lunch and let them play, but Bob hasn't when I tried.

Next, both of them sometimes resist getting in their car seats, but it's a real problem with Bob. He's thirty-something pounds of pure muscle now, and yesterday a woman intercepted Fred about to go out in the street at the playground (and why the #$*@! don't cities put gates on all the playgrounds?) when Bob unexpectedly started to fight me putting him in his seat. I've tried putting their electronic toys in the car to distract them, but it has stopped working. I think I need to move Fred into the Graco Nautilus, b/c I think part of the problem is that it's uncomfortable for Bob (how on earth is that thing supposed to accommodate kids up to 65 lbs?) and let Bob have the Britax, but I expect that may cause anguish of its own. Any suggestions? The outburst was probably the direct result of him not having gotten a sufficient nap.

Many thanks,

Maggie (in VA)
And I don't have a solution... usually Piper just doesn't get a decent nap that day. Also, I've recently been experiencing "carseat rebellion", and she's just so strong and determined, I really can't get her buckled in the seat when she's determined to fight me. I'm dreading the "terrible threes" if this is what I have to look forward to.

Maya

February 27th, 2012, 7:41 pm #4

I went out on my lunch hour to take a look at the Nautilus, and there is some more play in the straps that I guess I hadn't been able to get working b/c Bob was always fighting me. And I see another shoulder level, but I think that involves pulling out the seat, sigh. When Bob escapes me, he plops himself down between their two carseats -- he wants to sit like a grown-up. Hey, mister, I would if I could, but the police would turn me in, and that's because it's not safe! Maggie (in VA)

February 27th, 2012, 9:10 pm #5

February 28th, 2012, 3:57 am #6

Many thanks,

Maggie (in VA)
First what I do sometimes to ensure safety while loading one in...I will have the less resistant one get in the car first while I hold the others hand. Then I put the resistant one into the car seat. I then walk over to the other side of the car and open the door and put the one waiting his turn in his or her seat. So keep both kids in your control at all times, one can wait inside the car while you strap the other in. No one has to wait outside the car and put you in a situation for you to have to turn your back.

Regarding driving home time, I don't remember how old they are, but you can talk to them on the way home or sing songs with them. I have been in your situation many a Sunday and thats what I did, if my DH was with me I ask him to nudge my son if he fell asleep. The other thing besides toys is go to the dollar tree and buy $1 books and give each kid one or two new books and save them only for the car, the following week have them switch books or buy a few more. Books are very interesting to the kids. How long is your ride home ours is 25 minutes.

Last edited by Dee.S on February 28th, 2012, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2012, 4:55 am #7

Many thanks,

Maggie (in VA)
...was to lightly pinch the inside of her thigh -- not to hurt but to tickle. There's a spot there that is so ticklish, they immediately bend their legs, and PLOP, down they go and buckle fast. My DD was a big, strong girl (still is!) and it's such an awkward angle. That was the only thing that worked for me until she got more cooperative.

February 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm #8

Or someone did, to tickle the inside of the thighs. It worked great for Freddy, but when Bob is in full resistance mode, I'm not sure I can make it work. But maybe I'll revisit it if he does it again. Thanks, Maggie (in VA)

February 28th, 2012, 6:08 pm #9

First what I do sometimes to ensure safety while loading one in...I will have the less resistant one get in the car first while I hold the others hand. Then I put the resistant one into the car seat. I then walk over to the other side of the car and open the door and put the one waiting his turn in his or her seat. So keep both kids in your control at all times, one can wait inside the car while you strap the other in. No one has to wait outside the car and put you in a situation for you to have to turn your back.

Regarding driving home time, I don't remember how old they are, but you can talk to them on the way home or sing songs with them. I have been in your situation many a Sunday and thats what I did, if my DH was with me I ask him to nudge my son if he fell asleep. The other thing besides toys is go to the dollar tree and buy $1 books and give each kid one or two new books and save them only for the car, the following week have them switch books or buy a few more. Books are very interesting to the kids. How long is your ride home ours is 25 minutes.

Freddy was very engaged with a toy in the park, so I wasn't worried as I was only a few yards away. The encounter with Bob went on for so long that he noticed I wasn't around and started to wander out looking for me, poor thing. Bob took me by surprise, b/c he had seemed perfectly fine with leaving -- it was getting cold and dark, and most of the other families had left. This was the first time I'd ever tried to take them in the park without their stroller. Of course, the woman who intercepted Freddy looked at me as though I was the most irreponsible mom in the world, but I was trying to keep an eye on him through it all. It was so embarrassing.

Our ride home from church is about 25 min., too. They usually stay awake till the last 5-10 min. Don't know whether books would prevent the problem; they're still a bit young, though they like books a lot.

Maggie (in VA)

February 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm #10

Many thanks,

Maggie (in VA)
opinion, or maybe it's a first time parents opinion, but with our twins, I just figure I am better off if I don't expect to keep a rigid schedule for them. we 'strive' for a routine certainly, some days it works, some days it doesn't. I am learning I have to dodge and roll with it, so to speak. I myself am not by nature too big on exacts, so I suppose I don't expect it to be that way with my kids. I have been working on nap time after lunch, sometimes we will get a nice couple of hours with them both down for the count. other times they sleep like cats and then jump back up in 15 mintues or so. or one will sleep for an hour and one for 10 minutes. it is what it is and I know for sure I don't want napping/sleeping to turn into a battlefield. so we just manage as best we can. however, half way through this first year now we are sleeping through the nights with maybe one or the other waking once for a quick change and bottle. so cannot complain, at least loudly.

GL, JM

I will note that physical activity seems to be a Mom's good friend. wear them out in a jumper seat and that tuckers those little fellas right out! so that might be the cause of their falling off to sleep after play time in the church nursery, either physical or social interaction is wearing your little guys out and they just have to sleep it off.
Last edited by JoyfulMother on February 28th, 2012, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.