Mystery embryo

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 5th, 2014, 11:34 am #1

Following up from my tubes removal surgery last week for a suspected ectopic, the pathology lab results came in. No pregnancy was found in the tubes. They also took a tissue sample of the uterus (somewhat of a d & c) but no sign of implantation was found in the uterus either. No one including the RE has any clue where was this implantation after all that resulted in ~2000 beta levels. No shadow of nothing anywhere. I am feeling a bit distressed now that we eliminated something viable somewhere. My levels are down to 200 now after the surgery, but I am more confused than ever. Anyone go through this before ? Any ideas on what might be happening ?

Mimi
Mimi

February 5th, 2014, 5:17 pm #2

Ectopic just means "out of place" (i.e. in the wrong place), not necessarily in the tubes. They're usually in the tubes but they can also be in the cervix or even just randomly in the abdomen somewhere--since there's a tiny space between the end of each tube and the womb, the embryo can creep out and implant itself just randomly in your abdomen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_pregnancy

Are your HCG levels coming down?

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 5th, 2014, 8:33 pm #3

Thanks Mimi. Yet another turn of events. the Path lab did yet another final strain last nite and identified the pregnancy to be in the uterus and not in the tubes. I am just more distressed now that they took out something that was viable. The doctor will call me in the evening. This is so depressing.

February 5th, 2014, 8:41 pm #4

You might have to remind me of the details with this pregnancy, but please don't 2nd guess yourself - that's no fun - whatever was there wasn't viable, so don't beat yourself up thinking maybe they took something out that was viable. Sorry - hang in there!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 5th, 2014, 8:47 pm #5

Sure greenelephant. My beta was rising appropriately and was 1900 something at a day short of 6 week mark. RE could see nothing in the uterus but she also mentioned that the lining was superthick. She suspected ectopic and recommended salpingoctemy to prevent potential bursts. I had requested waiting, but she was worried about the high beta, nothing visible and potential of a burst. I decided to take the tubes out. I am not sure why she did the d&c though - we never talked about it. Both uterus tissues and tubes were sent to lab for implantation identification.

February 5th, 2014, 9:37 pm #6

Hmm thanks for the extra info as it's tough to find everything on the board Sorry you had to go through all this - sounds like some major miscommunication with your doctor if she didn't tell you about d&c beforehand - my goodness! That would be very distressing and frustrating. Beta of 1900 at nearly 6 weeks is low - isn't it? But maybe considered high for a possible ectopic since she couldn't see anything on ultrasound? At any rate, now that you have the lab results hopefully she can give you some clear answers, put your mind at ease, and have a plan for moving forward You've had a rough go at things - hope you have good luck soon!

February 5th, 2014, 9:41 pm #7

Thanks Mimi. Yet another turn of events. the Path lab did yet another final strain last nite and identified the pregnancy to be in the uterus and not in the tubes. I am just more distressed now that they took out something that was viable. The doctor will call me in the evening. This is so depressing.
I know this is distressing-- so very sorry. You followed your dr's advice. Please know that most of us would have done the same thing. We are all here-- please let us know what he / she has to say.

Take good care of yourself,
Sophie

Dee
Dee

February 5th, 2014, 9:59 pm #8

Following up from my tubes removal surgery last week for a suspected ectopic, the pathology lab results came in. No pregnancy was found in the tubes. They also took a tissue sample of the uterus (somewhat of a d & c) but no sign of implantation was found in the uterus either. No one including the RE has any clue where was this implantation after all that resulted in ~2000 beta levels. No shadow of nothing anywhere. I am feeling a bit distressed now that we eliminated something viable somewhere. My levels are down to 200 now after the surgery, but I am more confused than ever. Anyone go through this before ? Any ideas on what might be happening ?
I am so sorry. I would have followed my REs advice, as well. Sometimes there are no easy answers in all this.

Mrs.McIrish
Mrs.McIrish

February 5th, 2014, 10:01 pm #9

I'm in a sort of similar predicament. Beta rose a week after stopping meds/bleeding already took place. I'm sorry you lost the tube for no reason. This all sucks.

February 7th, 2014, 3:39 am #10

you're going through this. Sending you a hug.