myomectomy

myomectomy

January 5th, 2011, 2:27 am #1

Hi Everyone,

I havn't been on the boards in a while. I failed a fresh and frozen DE cycle last year and was told by the LA clinic it maybe the fibroid as the cycles failed. CCRM in Nov during work-up confirmed this and wanted it removed before moving on to another DE cycel with them.

I asked if it could be done locally and Dr Davis at Cornell agreed after an MRI it was impinging on the cavity.It is is intramural-subserosal so cannot be removed via laparoscopy or robotic, keeping in mind to preserve fertility.

Has anyone had this recently? How painful is it? And how long is the recovery? I am getting very anxious as it is Friday and the dr said I would be in the hospital 3 nights and have 3-4 weeks recovery.

Thanks,

Lina

January 5th, 2011, 3:11 am #2

I was looking at Wikipedia to see what the options are, and laparoscopy was mentioned.

I had a bad experience with a myomectomy about 10 years ago, but your experience might be very different. My surgeon was badly prepared. He planned to do this as outpatient. He did not have all the necessary tools and resources. He got in there and found the fibroid was extremely slippery, and he couldn't grasp it, so he cut it into bits. The surgery began as laparoscopy, but the surgeon ended up making a vag incision and removing the tumor bits that way. I had complications after the surgery, and I was 100 miles away from the hospital, so it was difficult and scary. TG a local OB wasn't too proud to admit me to the hospital, b/c the ob I had been seeing refused to have anything to do with me.

I had a great deal of bleeding afterwards, enough to cause significant pain and anemia. I don't remember how long my recovery was. It seemed long.

I'm sorry to scare you, sweetie, but if they think this can help you be successful, it's something you can deal with.

Wikipedia describes the surgery as being similar to c-s. I've had 2 of those, and as you know, c-s is very common. Just make sure you have a top-notch surgeon. The fact that they want to admit you for 3 nights is a good first step.

Adrah
Adrah

January 5th, 2011, 5:33 am #3

Hi Everyone,

I havn't been on the boards in a while. I failed a fresh and frozen DE cycle last year and was told by the LA clinic it maybe the fibroid as the cycles failed. CCRM in Nov during work-up confirmed this and wanted it removed before moving on to another DE cycel with them.

I asked if it could be done locally and Dr Davis at Cornell agreed after an MRI it was impinging on the cavity.It is is intramural-subserosal so cannot be removed via laparoscopy or robotic, keeping in mind to preserve fertility.

Has anyone had this recently? How painful is it? And how long is the recovery? I am getting very anxious as it is Friday and the dr said I would be in the hospital 3 nights and have 3-4 weeks recovery.

Thanks,

Lina

Hi, I had a fibroid appear after I did a cycle with my own eggs (BFN). The fibroid was located at the top of the uterus, where an embryo would implant. My RE could not do the surgery because my insurance would not cover it there. He wanted to do a full open abdominal surgery with a recovery similar to what you describe. I went to my OB and she offered a different option. She wanted to use a morcellator (you can google it). It is a tool used to remove fibroids with minimal surgery. If it wasn't enough to remove the fibroid, then she said I could wake up with a full incision. Fortunately, it wasn't necessary. She removed the fibroid. I had some pain, but it wasn't bad. I took some pain medication and I was off of work for about a week. In my situation, it made a huge difference and was worth it. I had to wait 3 months to cycle and then I had a successful DE cycle.

On another note, I've had two knee surgeries. One was a knee reconstruction that is known to be very painful. In my experience, the main thing was to stay on the pain medicine at the beginning. If you wait for pain to start, then it's much harder to get it under control. For the first few nights I actually set the alarm to take the pain pill in the middle of the night to keep it manageable.

I'm sorry I don't have any more info. I completely understand why you are anxious about surgery. I was always so worried. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Lizzie
Lizzie

January 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Lina

I had one in 2006 and my fibroid was too big to go lap so I had the equivalent of a C-section scar.

In terms of recovery, it is similar to a c-section, except of course, you don't have the baby to tend to! I remember by the end of the first week, I was up and about (still couldn't drive for another week) but I went out shopping with my sister etc. I moved more slowly than normal, but I was feeling much better.

One thing I will say: take the pain meds if you need them. I started out trying not to take the percosets, and in the end they were a godsend. The first few days are the toughest, and that is when I needed help with pain management. I remember leaving the hospital with a prescription for them, and telling my RE that I would probably need a refill (because I was still in so much pain and they helped so much), and she said, let's get through this bottle and see where we are. I wound up only needing 7 pills over 3 days at home before I felt good enough to go without.

The other thing I would recommend is that you get out of bed asap after surgery. Both with the myomectomy and the c-section for my DD, I was out of bed a few hours after surgery and it helped my overall recovery.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps you get pregnant next time around! -Lizzie

January 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm #5

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Lina

I haven't had one but a myomectomy is normally done by a laparotomy which is a cut similar to a c section. I know lots of people who have had them and the recovery is about 10 days til you feel normal and 4 weeks or so til totally healed. I believe you have to wait about 6 months to cycle afterwards unless your endometrium hasn't been touched at all then you can cycle after 6 weeks. Hope all goes well

Lizzie
Lizzie

January 5th, 2011, 1:48 pm #6

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Lina

I was off of work for 6 weeks for entire recovery, but I have heard people going back sooner than that.

musigal
musigal

January 5th, 2011, 7:50 pm #7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Lina

I had a myomectomy in 2004. It was a traditional surgical procedure since i had multiple fibroids and a couple were quite large. The most important piece of advice I can offer is to chose your surgeon very, very carefully. To this day, our surgeon remains a very special person to me and DH. Without him we would not be parents of DS, I am convinced. He removed 8 fibroids, some quite small but two were quite large. There is no way I could have had successful implant without the procedure. Recovery was much easier than I thought it would be -- 3 nights in hospital and about 4 weeks before I could return to work -- but it is still major surgery. I found that getting into good physical shape prior to the surgery made recovery easier. The incision was a bikini type and very low. Good luck to you!

Bharani
Bharani

January 6th, 2011, 12:56 am #8

Sorry, to barge in. And when did you have pg of your son. I had the same surgery as you described in July 2009 but still I didn't have a chance to cycle to the end. I end three cycles but for some reasons cancelled two of them and one the donor didn't make almost none.

I am worry if.... What do you think. My cycle became irregular, so at least that makes me happy.
Thanks

demomone
demomone

January 6th, 2011, 2:31 am #9

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Lina

Had one in the past few years..also could not be removed by lap.
Was in hospital for two days..small incision..used my RE to do this as I was concerned about TTC. Back at work after a two week rest at home. Not very painful..did not use much med for pain following surgery. Was able to cycle about 7 weeks later.

January 6th, 2011, 3:01 am #10

I was looking at Wikipedia to see what the options are, and laparoscopy was mentioned.

I had a bad experience with a myomectomy about 10 years ago, but your experience might be very different. My surgeon was badly prepared. He planned to do this as outpatient. He did not have all the necessary tools and resources. He got in there and found the fibroid was extremely slippery, and he couldn't grasp it, so he cut it into bits. The surgery began as laparoscopy, but the surgeon ended up making a vag incision and removing the tumor bits that way. I had complications after the surgery, and I was 100 miles away from the hospital, so it was difficult and scary. TG a local OB wasn't too proud to admit me to the hospital, b/c the ob I had been seeing refused to have anything to do with me.

I had a great deal of bleeding afterwards, enough to cause significant pain and anemia. I don't remember how long my recovery was. It seemed long.

I'm sorry to scare you, sweetie, but if they think this can help you be successful, it's something you can deal with.

Wikipedia describes the surgery as being similar to c-s. I've had 2 of those, and as you know, c-s is very common. Just make sure you have a top-notch surgeon. The fact that they want to admit you for 3 nights is a good first step.
for sharing your experience, and sorry you had to go through what you went through.

I will be inpatient and the dr seemed to have done he research at my appointment on monday.

I believe he is a good RE and surgeon.

thanks Lina