meds on a plane (IVF ment)

meds on a plane (IVF ment)

June 8th, 2012, 11:47 pm #1

My clinic isn't local to me, so we're going to have to fly there for retrieval and transfer. For an OE IVF cycle once upon a time I had to do some air travel, but for that trip the challenge was flying with ice packs, as a lot of the meds had to be kept cold.

The meds (or specifically the needles for Lupron, Delestrogen, and PIO) in this DE cycle are what I'm worried about. We'd really love to carry on all our luggage, but I'm wondering if TSA is going to freak out over the large syringes used to draw the meds. TSA didn't give me a hard time in the past when it was just the small needles.

Anyone else have to fly with meds, and specifically the big needles? What did you do and how did it go? Did a letter from your RE help?

June 9th, 2012, 2:10 am #2

You are going to be subject to the liquid rules as well. Also, individual airlines have the right to restrict things as well. I know you prefer to carry on, but you might want to check a bag and put a cooler inside it. I'd keep a copy of your prescription with the meds and on your person as well. Good luck to you!

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

June 9th, 2012, 2:12 am #3

My clinic isn't local to me, so we're going to have to fly there for retrieval and transfer. For an OE IVF cycle once upon a time I had to do some air travel, but for that trip the challenge was flying with ice packs, as a lot of the meds had to be kept cold.

The meds (or specifically the needles for Lupron, Delestrogen, and PIO) in this DE cycle are what I'm worried about. We'd really love to carry on all our luggage, but I'm wondering if TSA is going to freak out over the large syringes used to draw the meds. TSA didn't give me a hard time in the past when it was just the small needles.

Anyone else have to fly with meds, and specifically the big needles? What did you do and how did it go? Did a letter from your RE help?
That they were not subject to any rules and I did not need a doctor's note. I carried on every time with no issue.

Julie
Julie

June 9th, 2012, 2:26 am #4

Medications are not subject to the liquids rules. I always carried on my bags. I would simply tell the TSA agent I had syringes and medications and pull them out. Pack them all together so it is easy to pull them out. I also kept my prescription with me -- you just need the printed prescription that comes on the meds. That has the doc's name on it. NOT ONCE did the TSA take a 2nd look at all my meds. I think the big key is to tell them about it advance. One trick I learned was to use one of those cylindrical toothbrush holders to hold my syringes - maybe bring 2 and the 2nd one can be used as a temporary sharps container when you get home.

June 9th, 2012, 4:57 am #5

You are going to be subject to the liquid rules as well. Also, individual airlines have the right to restrict things as well. I know you prefer to carry on, but you might want to check a bag and put a cooler inside it. I'd keep a copy of your prescription with the meds and on your person as well. Good luck to you!

http://www.tsa.gov/311/
Medically necessary items are exempt from liquid rules and exempt from airline carry on allowances - just have your prescription or doctor's note with you just in case. Don't check in your luggage - if it gets lost you likely won't be able to replace quickly enough (not to mention the cost!)

June 9th, 2012, 6:17 am #6

Infact, I ALWAYS have to take heparin shots when I fly and I always carry extra in case a flight is cancelled and I have to fly another day. It has never been a provlem. I just tell them when they're scanning my bag that I have shots in there. No explanation has ever been necessary.
Good luck!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

June 9th, 2012, 11:40 am #7

I traveled several times while cycling and put all meds etc in carry-on. I always notified the TSA agents before my bag went thru the scanner but never had a problem. My RE gave me a script that indicated I was taking injectable meds but they never asked to see it.

June 9th, 2012, 12:10 pm #8

I never had any problem at all. I always carried a letter from my RE, but one time I actually forgot to say anything about the needles and nobody stopped me or questioned me at all. It kind of freaked me out a bit that they'd let all those needles pass through without a second glance, but it is what it is...

good luck!

GIMB
GIMB

June 9th, 2012, 3:02 pm #9

Don't worry; you won't have a problem. I traveled for four cycles, two of which I traveled alone. Was only questioned once about the number of needles. I looked around, didn't see anyone I knew and while they had it frozen on the screen calling for a second opinion, I yelled "They're for fertility treatments". The guy looked like he'd seen a ghost (or me naked which at the time which wouldn't have been a pretty sight) and the woman TSA officer said -- let her go!

Real sisterhood out there.

Don't worry. If you have a note, you'll be fine. But know horrifying a TSA agent can help you in a pinch.

thesameboat
thesameboat

June 10th, 2012, 5:52 am #10

like nt