May I post a huge, huge baby girl brag? (warning: very proud mama in here)

May I post a huge, huge baby girl brag? (warning: very proud mama in here)

April 4th, 2012, 7:14 pm #1

She asked me out of the blue last night, "what letter makes the 'ch' sound?" We weren't reading or anything and she wasn't playing with her "leaptop." This girl blows me away. ok, so does her brother. But he is so not into letters yet. I feel like I have to brag on him too though. He pretty much recognizes 3-4 objects pretty reliably on sight and is getting better at 5. I am pretty darned proud of them both.

April 4th, 2012, 7:47 pm #2

Brag away, Mama! That is very smart!

April 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm #3

She asked me out of the blue last night, "what letter makes the 'ch' sound?" We weren't reading or anything and she wasn't playing with her "leaptop." This girl blows me away. ok, so does her brother. But he is so not into letters yet. I feel like I have to brag on him too though. He pretty much recognizes 3-4 objects pretty reliably on sight and is getting better at 5. I am pretty darned proud of them both.

You have a right to brag. Maggie (in VA)

April 4th, 2012, 11:47 pm #4

Congratulations mummy, you must be doing lots of reading with them. It certainly pays off.

April 5th, 2012, 4:18 am #5

Not like she used to be...as Jonathan becomes more interested, she is becoming less so. From the time she could sit up, the book corner was her favorite spot for many months. But she is branching out more. She is very fond of her dollhouses at the moment. She still enjoys books and being read to...I am hoping the waning interest is a cyclical thing. Possibly it is somewhat like the potty for her...Jonathan has developed an absolute love of a few books (Alison Jay, anyone? I LOVE her works!!) and I think she feels like having them read is "his thing" and doesn't want to join in. I will have to try to entice her with a favorite book when he is occupied, I guess, and "woo" her back. That she should be thinking that thought out of the blue though...what an interesting peek into her mind! I wonder if she was looking at the chair and couldn't figure out what letter it started with? Does she often "quiz" herself? I just ask her a few times a week "Sarah, what does 'pat' start with?" or whatever....help her spell out two or three short words as we drive...but it's not something we even do anywhere near daily. Mostly I ask just to see where she's at. I do know that the egg donor's daughter was reading by age 4...maybe she will follow suit?

I am much more comfortable with where Jonathan is at, honestly. He can tell letters from numbers but one letter is still the same as the next to him. I think he is identifying some of his numbers, but not all of them. He is a smart little guy but it's more of a "normal" smart, not a "holy crap, what am I going to do if this trend continues" smart. :\

April 5th, 2012, 5:37 am #6

I've really focused on reading with her as she just loves it. She's 3.5 and can pretty much read. She reecognises all her letters and knows the sounds they make. She can now blend them and is reading most simple words now.

I've been really lucky that she enjoys reading so I took that ass an opportunity to get her ready for school. Her preschool says that she is more than ready for school as she is writing her own name too.

I think we have every right to be proud mamas so enjoy it and there ain't nothin wrong with bragging!

April 5th, 2012, 12:05 pm #7

Very impressed!

April 5th, 2012, 3:35 pm #8

What a smarty pants

I hear more and more stories from parents who say that their LOs say things out of the blue and they have NO idea where they got the knowledge or content from. But this is so much more advanced than any questions/observations other friends have described! Heck, I don't think I would have asked that question in elementary school! She really has an interest in language and how it works. PLEASE bottle that and send it to me

sas

April 5th, 2012, 4:38 pm #9

She should be being a toddler now and having toddler thoughts, not wondering what letter goes "ch"!! I've never tried to send a message that she was valued for learning her letters and their sounds (Jonathan clearly hasn't gotten this message from me!) I try to focus on praising kind acts and good listening. I am amazed by the stuff that comes out of her mouth, and proud, but a little wistful too. :/ She must just have a natural bent this way, given the egg donor's and donating family father's gifts. I hope she slows down some though.

April 6th, 2012, 12:45 am #10

You have smarties!