Match complete but I'm annoyed!

Match complete but I'm annoyed!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

February 2nd, 2012, 1:01 am #1

I was notified yesterday that my SG match was complete. I'm in 3:1 program. I was concerned about the wait time to get three recipients on board. I asked at least five people at SG about this and they all told me the same thing - there is a thirty day countdown that is started once a second recipient is on board and if a third does not sign on we do the cycle with two recipients. I emailed and asked if a third recipient had signed on on day 29 of the countdown. This afternoon I received and email saying there are only two but the eggs will be split three ways and the other third will go to the egg bank. I'm so aggravated because although it has been a long wait for the match to be complete I thought at least I'll get some extra eggs.
So disappointed about SG's lie of omission. Has anyone else from SG had this happen? I'm wondering if it is a new policy.

nycgirl
nycgirl

February 2nd, 2012, 1:07 am #2

when the 3rd recipient did not sign in, the eggs were not shared by two recipients, but three, the third one is SG's frozen egg bank.

February 2nd, 2012, 1:46 am #3

I was notified yesterday that my SG match was complete. I'm in 3:1 program. I was concerned about the wait time to get three recipients on board. I asked at least five people at SG about this and they all told me the same thing - there is a thirty day countdown that is started once a second recipient is on board and if a third does not sign on we do the cycle with two recipients. I emailed and asked if a third recipient had signed on on day 29 of the countdown. This afternoon I received and email saying there are only two but the eggs will be split three ways and the other third will go to the egg bank. I'm so aggravated because although it has been a long wait for the match to be complete I thought at least I'll get some extra eggs.
So disappointed about SG's lie of omission. Has anyone else from SG had this happen? I'm wondering if it is a new policy.
"only two but the eggs will be split three ways and the other third will go to the egg bank"

That is amazing. I can completely understand your annoyance. I just went through the whole orientation program at at SG just before you did and that scenario was never presented to me. Rather it was presented more as you were thinking - that if no match was made whatever eggs are retrieved are split by two recipients. Considering the recipient fees are paying for the meds and effort of the donor cycle, SG basically gets free eggs to resell.

On the other hand they could make you wait indefinitely for another recipient to sign on to the cycle so in another sense they are doing you a favor. You still pay less for your cycle then someone doing a 1:2 split (like me) and I am sure that the recipients in the 1 and 2 position take priority over their egg bank.

Have you had a chance to look back over the contract? It would be curious if they did not spell out this scenario in the documents.

February 2nd, 2012, 7:27 am #4

I can understand your frustration. Can you bring it up again with a higher-up there?

February 2nd, 2012, 3:07 pm #5

I expect you'll find language that covers them, but if it does not, you should point that out and make them play fair. Maggie (in VA)

Beansprout703
Beansprout703

February 2nd, 2012, 5:21 pm #6

Just finished a DE cycle with SG, but I was in the 1:2 program.

However, SG had sent me info for the 1:3 program as well, and I don't believe I saw anything in the contract that required SG to give the recipients more than their 33% share of the eggs if a 3rd recipient couple is not found.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you will still have enough mature eggs to work with...

February 3rd, 2012, 12:52 am #7

That does seem a little squirrelly, although, as others have pointed out, I guess they are allowing you all to move ahead without waiting for a third when they don't have to. But they should have made it perfectly clear how it works. (They didn't with me, either, btw. Now I know, thanks to you.) Fingers crossed that there are plenty of eggs to go around! I am happy with SG so far, but there have been a few little things for me, as well, that aren't quite as them seemed.

Speaking of that, can I ask you a related question? So you and another recipient had chosen a donor and you have been waiting for a 3rd for a while now? Did I get that right?

I've been trying to get a handle on how well they identify a donor's match status, i.e. how many recipients still needed. If my understanding of your situation is true, then when I got on the database last week, there should have been a donor that said "one more recipient needed to complete this match." But there wasn't. Very few of the donors have any status listed at all. Most of the donors who have been taken since I started looking went instantly from 0 recipients to gone. When I asked SG about it, they were a little defensive (my perception) and said "well, we can't update the status when we're not here at night and on weekends." I honestly had not been trying to criticize, just wanting to understand how much stock we should put in what the match status notes said. I understand there can be a flurry of activity overnight for certain donors. But, Mrs. M, if you have been waiting for 1 more recipient for a while, than that means the match statuses are not accurate. What was your experience on this issue? Or anyone else.

Thanks!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

February 3rd, 2012, 12:31 pm #8

We picked our donor Dec. 29 and we rec'd email that second recipient was on board Jan. 3, so when you when on last week our donor should have still been in the database with one recipient need in profile. I rec'd email stating match was complete at the end of the day on Jan 31. I understand the use of the egg bank since it is 3:1 but I'm just frustrated as it seems they purposely avoided telling us that. I have one email where one of the recipient liaisons actually wrote the eggs would be split two ways after the thirty day countdown. I sent it back to them with a note yesterday and suggested they be more upfront with people in the future.

February 3rd, 2012, 8:08 pm #9

When I asked them about a frozen egg donor that was showing up in my searches, I couldn't really get a handle on their frozen egg system. Their explanation didn't make sense to me. They used the term "egg bank," but then mentioned there were two such donors. In my opinion, that doesn't a frozen egg bank make. Unless I'm missing something.

Now, combined with your experience, it leaves me thinking that they have recently decided to use these "extra thirds" to build up a frozen egg bank, and they don't have all their ducks in a row about communicating the policy.

Anyway, sorry for your frustration! I hope you're still excited about moving forward!

Oh, and we selected our donor last night. (!) I'm excited, but admittedly a little freaked out, too. This is really happening.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

February 4th, 2012, 1:29 am #10

Are you the first recipient to select her? Is she a repeat donor or a new donor?

I spoke with the recipient liaison today that had emailed me in Dec after we selected the donor. In that email she told me there would be a two way split after the thirty day countdown. She told me that the policy is actually in instances where there is a proven donor selected , the recipients are informed that the egg bank will be the tertiary recipient if a third recipient is not on board (based on donor's prior cycles). With unproven donor's this is not typically the case. However in our case, because the donor's pretesting was so good they have made the decision to make the bank the tertiary recipient with this unproven donor if 12 or more mature eggs are retrieved ( 4 each ). Now after reading your post I'm wondering if it is because the egg bank stock is low. I made it very clear to her, in the nicest way possible, that SG needs to work on clearly communicating this policy to IP.