MA/NH ladies - any counselor recommendation

February 7th, 2014, 1:56 am #1

Any one have a professional counselor they could recommend? I don't think withholding all of these feelings is healthy anymore as they just grow by the day.

TIA

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 7th, 2014, 2:11 am #2

I'm anonymous for this just bc I don't want to say who I see... But I just met this week Elizabeth (Betsy) Austin. She's on Resolves list, is in Northboro and accepts a bunch of insurance.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

February 7th, 2014, 4:41 am #3

Any one have a professional counselor they could recommend? I don't think withholding all of these feelings is healthy anymore as they just grow by the day.

TIA
If your issues are IF or donor egg related, I can recommend the following professional who did our mandatory counselling over the phone: http://www.tarasheppard.com/index.html She was insightful and very compassionate, and very knowledgeable about DE issues. She was also knowledgeable about stepfamilies which was a big bonus for us. We did our session over the phone in the comfort of our own home. Even DH who is a skeptic was very impressed with her. We are thinking about using her again to talk through how to tell our boy about DE.

Piper
Piper

February 7th, 2014, 8:03 am #4

TIA
with RESOLVE: the National Infertility Association (www.resolve.org)

They maintain a list of therapists on the website. Or you can call one of the local clinics--generally they will make recommendations to a couple of local therapists.

I also found it very helpful to "talk" about some of my infertility issues on this site -- you will find that many ladies have walked the same path and can offer empathy and support.

Violet
Violet

February 7th, 2014, 3:57 pm #5

TIA
Ali Domar at BIVF in Waltham.
She has been more than helpful. I have been on this ride for a long time and she has really helped me in so many ways.

February 8th, 2014, 12:46 am #6

TIA
I initially started to look on the resolve website but kept seeing the disclaimer folks pay to be on the list. It just turned me off of those who listed, as its not genuine.

I am more north of the city and thus the NH shot out as well so it was two fold.

I am afraid some of my thoughts won't come out right and I don't want to offend.

February 8th, 2014, 3:28 pm #7

TIA
I've seen Jeanne Ungerleider. She has an office at BIVF in Waltham and another in Chestnut Hill. She's very compassionate and has lots of experience with IF and DE. Even my husband likes her and quickly opened up. Good luck. You're doing a good thing for yourself.

February 8th, 2014, 6:19 pm #8

I initially started to look on the resolve website but kept seeing the disclaimer folks pay to be on the list. It just turned me off of those who listed, as its not genuine.

I am more north of the city and thus the NH shot out as well so it was two fold.

I am afraid some of my thoughts won't come out right and I don't want to offend.
Please do not worry about offending someone. It is difficult to work through the thoughts and feelings associated with infertility and especially de-ivf. This is a safe place to do so.

The RESOLVE site can be a beginning point but yes they do have to pay a fee to be listed.

I can second the recommendation for Ali Domar. She is wonderful and her books are fantastic. If she is not taking patients, I would ask her if she could recommend someone.

I am sorry that you are feeling so conflicted and hope that you find a good therapist soon. Moving to DE was one of the hardest things I have ever been through. The feelings of loss, grief, jealousy (which surprised me)and hopelessness just overwhelmed me. Talking things through with a therapist was helpful. As was talking things through with someone who had been through the process--it "normalized" it for me.

You can also ask questions of the ladies on the pink board (link at the top: PG and parenting after DE) Many of us answer questions over here as well.

February 9th, 2014, 3:11 pm #9

Hi Piper,

Despite my name I have been on the boards for a few years. A few months back I posted something on the moms who used de, and the way I worded it (inadvertently), it came out wrong and offended a few people. I follow everyone's trials and tribulations. I don't necessarily post much but almost feel connected to most people's issues.

Some quick back history, I came to the decision to seek out DE a few years back after a few years of a rocky road, mc at 12.5 weeks that kicked off my entry in to infertility. After a few years of trying, I came to the conclusion I just wanted to be a mom. We tried DE and it did not work, thus my many DE frosties. To my surprise, I became pregnant naturally the month afterwards. My miracle ds is now going to be 2 pretty soon. We want more children and I am not producing any more miracles so it seems. So I am at a crossroads as to one and done or try with DE. I know to come to the DE decision is profound enlightening moment and I am not there just yet this time around. There is more complicated feelings in play.

Piper
Piper

February 9th, 2014, 4:03 pm #10

And it sounds as if you are sorting through some tough issues. I did not pick up on "frosties" when I was reading your post...

I hope you find a therapist soon and can figure things out for your family. For what it is worth, we ended up with only one child--although we would have liked to have more, my doctors said no. It has been a good thing in many ways...