LeapPad...worth the money?

LeapPad...worth the money?

June 19th, 2012, 2:32 pm #1

I've been contemplating buying LeapPads for my boys' 4th b-day later this summer (how are we at 4 yrs old already?), but not sure. Would love some real-life input. Do your kids tire of it quickly? Is there true longevity, as in they will still want them at 7, 8, 9 yrs old? Are all the extras (games, books, etc) worth the money?

Our kids use our iPad and iPhones like old pros, but I'm tired of sharing MY toys with my kids . Will they find the LeapPad too easy, too childish in comparison? I want something fun, educational, with lots of creative play and room to grow. The boys LOVE to take photos with my old small point-and-shoot camera. During a recent trip to NYC, they had a blast bopping around the city shooting cars, people, dogs & whatnot (one of the "whatnot" photos was of a man peeing in the park. Obviously I need to monitor their creative interests more closely.) I'm going to put together a book of their photos...in my spare time So the camera aspect is definitely on my list of "wants", but taking pics with a pad seems cludgy vs a small phone for little hands.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any reviews as I try to decide (want to hear the bad, with the good). Found an email in my in-box this morning announcing the new LeapPad 2 arriving this summer, so the topic is fresh on my mind.

Thanks!

Last edited by shayrose on June 19th, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 3:27 pm #2

We bought my oldest DS one for his 4th birthday and he is almost 5 1/2. We actually started with the Leapster Explorer and then moved onto the LeapPad when it came out. He continues to play it all the time. He is no where near losing interest, at this point. He just continues to move on to more challenging games. It has been well worth the money in my opinion. He has learned math, reading, geography skills and more. I do think the games can add up cost wise, but honestly he is learning, so it doesn't bother me. He is a very bright child and loves to be challenged with new information, so this has been very good for him. He loves to share facts he has learned with us, as well as teach his little brother how to play some of the games.

I can't say enough about it, really. For us, it was an excellent purchase. I'll be curious to hear what you decide to do.

Tracey

June 19th, 2012, 3:48 pm #3

I've been contemplating buying LeapPads for my boys' 4th b-day later this summer (how are we at 4 yrs old already?), but not sure. Would love some real-life input. Do your kids tire of it quickly? Is there true longevity, as in they will still want them at 7, 8, 9 yrs old? Are all the extras (games, books, etc) worth the money?

Our kids use our iPad and iPhones like old pros, but I'm tired of sharing MY toys with my kids . Will they find the LeapPad too easy, too childish in comparison? I want something fun, educational, with lots of creative play and room to grow. The boys LOVE to take photos with my old small point-and-shoot camera. During a recent trip to NYC, they had a blast bopping around the city shooting cars, people, dogs & whatnot (one of the "whatnot" photos was of a man peeing in the park. Obviously I need to monitor their creative interests more closely.) I'm going to put together a book of their photos...in my spare time So the camera aspect is definitely on my list of "wants", but taking pics with a pad seems cludgy vs a small phone for little hands.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any reviews as I try to decide (want to hear the bad, with the good). Found an email in my in-box this morning announcing the new LeapPad 2 arriving this summer, so the topic is fresh on my mind.

Thanks!

My kids were interested in LeapPad at 3-4 years old, in LeapFrog at 4-5 years old. Mind they had never been exposed to iPhone and iPad, and that's going to be a kink for the kids with sleek modern experience -, like getting back to the Mac Commodore. LeapPad and LeapFrog did their duty for a while, especially with letters (The Letter Factory) but it is not a long-term toy at all. I didn't try to build a library of those games as I sensed the interest would wane, with PC in the house with free games.

The LeapPad books wear out from 2 toddlers' use in 1-2 years, and the stylus loses sensitivity and becomes erratic (they are supposed to hit sensitive points on the book and the underlying pad is supposed to sense -- a primitive touch screen). I think it could be frustrating for someone who's used to sleek fast-responding touch-screens.

Nintendo DS starts at 6-7 years old. And by 8-9 PC and tablets reign. Video gaming systems are in the background throughout it all. LeapPad is a distant distant memory, all broken and no good to even sell the game chips, since they change the models.
Last edited by niahm12 on June 19th, 2012, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 4:24 pm #4

Thanks!

The same issue is on my mind.

My 2 year old LOVES the iPad. She thinks it's hers. Like you - I'm tired of sharing it with her. (smile)

I thought about getting myself a Kindle Fire so that I'd have something to use while she plays with the iPad.

After reading the previous posts - it's like the PP said - when you've had the iPad, it's harder to go back and enjoy the Kindle Fire like the iPad.

I'd imagine it's the same thing for a little kid, too - when you've had the iPad, how can you want to go back??

DH and I are looking into a cheap iPad - maybe get a basic basic model - which is $399 or something - but what she gets out of it is way more than what she gets out of anything else. It's probably the only toy that she plays with consistently. I may just sell her other toys and use the funds toward the iPad.

Also - My daughter does like the Mobigo... but after having it for about 6 months - it's starting to short out. I'm hesitant about the Mobigo 2.

June 19th, 2012, 4:34 pm #5

I am new to the world of tablets so don't know if we are going to be missing something with an Android tablet instead of iPad - but it's being delivered today -

just want to chime in about the "cheaper" option: ordered one on Aliexpress dot com for $130-ish (Android 4.0, 10 inch screen, 8 or 16gb memory (don't remember) etc etc etc), free shipping. 7-inch screens are there for under $100.
Last edited by niahm12 on June 19th, 2012, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm #6

Thanks!

June 19th, 2012, 4:57 pm #7

or in a year your mommy's pre-school readiness will kick in... Now, at 2, this is very appropriate!

June 19th, 2012, 5:11 pm #8

Sarah taught herself (we do have "Leaptops" and they enjoy books) all the letters and their sounds and can sound out simple words. She can make some letters and numbers though I think it is more of a happy accident and then she recognizes what she has drawn. Jonathan is not as interested in learning names of letters and their sounds (though knows some letters) but does pretend to read with his finger under the words. He is drawing faces and garbage trucks (he plans to be a garbage man when he grows up) and doing something that looks like writing. Both recognize numbers up to 10, are learning cardinality/ordinality, and doing some simple addition.

I know we'll have to start getting more used to technology but admittedly I am not ready!

June 19th, 2012, 5:36 pm #9

a garbage truck driver for a while and that's what they announced for her at her pre-school graduation (amidst ballerinas and firefighters).

Your kids are doing very well for 2-3 years old! May the technology not intrude on you guys for the longest time! We are just getting tablets, at 7 and 9, I stood as long as I could!

June 19th, 2012, 5:42 pm #10

and our trashman is now also called "Mr Gilley" after the one in the book. It is their weekly thrill to run to the window (or better, outside) to see Mr Gilley. He's started looking for them and waving to them and beeping his horn, so even more special to them. My cousin (now a police man and was a teacher too...he's covering all the kid dreams!) used to be a garbage man so I am sure my kids will think he is the most awesome guy ever.

We are very lucky developmentally considering they were 14 weeks early...have to pinch myself sometimes. I think in the next few months we will get a Wii and Just Dance for Kids and 2-3 more video games. But I hope that for the academics, we can avoid too much electronics for a while.