Ladies with Micro preemie babies

Ladies with Micro preemie babies

May 6th, 2012, 2:17 am #1

Can you please help me with a few questions.

I had a lady deliver early at 25 weeks gestation and we have a long haul in NICU. Both babies are doing really well at the moment. One is 705 g the other is 560 g.

1. Can you tell me where you got micro preemie diapers from or did you just get from the hospital - we have to supply here.

2. Did you have to buy breast milk fortifier and if so which brand and where from - its a 6 week waiting list from here - ridiculous I know.

3. Any other things I will need down the line and should order now as its in Asia an things are not readily available.

This is a case that the parents are not around and can not be around for the next few weeks. The lady who delivered is prepared to give breast milk at the moment but how long I can persuade her to do that is another question.

May 6th, 2012, 2:59 am #2

HI E&H,
I know R wasn't a micro premmie but we used pampers on R as they were extra small whereas the huggies newborn were much bigger.
King Edward Memorial Hospital in Subiaco here in W.A. have a breastmilk bank. Contact them and see if something can be arranged... its just a thought.
Also, ask them what they use for their micropremmies e.g. diapers. ASk S what her twinnies are using.
best, THK

here are some websites as well:
www.austprem.org.au (I can't access this site for whatever reason. You might like to contact them and ask about the above).

http://www.premmieangels.com.au/index.p ... _and_Wipes

http://www.getprice.com.au/Huggies-Prem ... 222640.htm
Site above ships huggies premmie nappies. (note not micropremmies but from 2-4kgs).

Huggies neo-natal nappies available here but looks like most of the suppliers are Mothercare... do you have Mothercare in Malaysia if so ask them if they supply the premmie huggie nappies.
http://www.huggies.com.au/nappies/stores/australia
Last edited by perthkitty on May 6th, 2012, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 9:56 am #3

The links are really helpful. I need micro-preemie diapers which are 500 g to 1.2 kg. I've found them on line but USD1 per diaper. I just wondered if anyone found them cheaper. I also found a breast milk fortifier bank in USA but its mega money. At the moment the surro is supplying milk but its very hard work persuading her to do so. I've also got another surro who just delivered who is willing to give but if its not given inside the NICU it must be pasteurized which takes out some of the goodness. OMG I wish they would hurry and come from UK to take some of the stress off me. Yesterday we needed blood transfusions, luckily the donor is very close to me so was able to use her rather than blood bank matching.

May 6th, 2012, 11:02 am #4

I had a lady deliver early at 25 weeks gestation and we have a long haul in NICU. Both babies are doing really well at the moment. One is 705 g the other is 560 g.

1. Can you tell me where you got micro preemie diapers from or did you just get from the hospital - we have to supply here.

2. Did you have to buy breast milk fortifier and if so which brand and where from - its a 6 week waiting list from here - ridiculous I know.

3. Any other things I will need down the line and should order now as its in Asia an things are not readily available.

This is a case that the parents are not around and can not be around for the next few weeks. The lady who delivered is prepared to give breast milk at the moment but how long I can persuade her to do that is another question.

Early Birds (Australia) has great micro preemie clothing but on the pricey side ..also, Pampers makes a preemie diaper but hard to find..I got it at diapers.com in the States. You can also google micro preemie clothing and a few hits come up.
Giggle in the States makes a lovely onesie for a preemie (basic line)..has to be ordered online but is nice and soft..giggle.com
Best to them.
Last edited by demomone on May 6th, 2012, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 12:18 pm #5

Will look at the sites and hopefully find some things for them. At the moment I don't think they are able to put clothes on as they are frightened of any scratches on their very delicate skin. OMG these babes are soooooo tiny. I just hope they continue to do well.

May 6th, 2012, 1:18 pm #6

and if I hadn't bought those, they would have provided some as well. I only know of Pampers preemie xs dipes but don't know where to get in bulk. They used Similac Human Milk Fortifier but it sure is expensive as far as I can tell. Often when little ones come home their breast milk is supplemented with plain formula to add 2-4 calories per oz and it sure is cheaper though I'd be leery of using a can of powder in the NICU since it can grow dangerous bacteria quickly.

One thing I really liked using - my kids lived in Swaddleme's as soon as they could wear clothes. I liked giving them a slightly more wombish experience and the swaddler makes a "uterine wall" to kick against. I wish I had more help to give.

May 6th, 2012, 6:01 pm #7

Many prayers for these sweet babies. We had the pampers and the similac as Blessed Thistle stated also. We were not allowed to have them in clothes until they regulared body temp better and had less need for the openness that comes with blood tests, sat probes etc. When we did start clothes it was with snaps so the wires for the monitors could go through the space between the snaps, zippers are a no no for a long time. Lil hats were donated/ hand knitted to the NICU and my good friend now leads that group of ladies at our local hospital. Hats good for helping keep them warm when its time for holding / skin to skin etc. Also sensitve wipes or just water/cloth and not reg wipes for a long time on that sensitive skin.