Ladies who have used Lovenox: a question

Ladies who have used Lovenox: a question

June 21st, 2012, 7:59 pm #1

I'm 13 weeks along with twins, and have been taking 40 mg of Lovenox beginning prior to transfer. It has been a part of my protocols for a while now, including in several failed cycles. My OB seems to be freaking out a little bit that I'm on Lovenox. She has referred me to a perinatologist for a consult to determine if I really "need" to keep taking it. I'm supposed to get the RE's office to fax over any part of my records relating to the immunity testing results and the decision to prescribe Lovenox, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had OBs react in a similar way. In addition to copying the sections of the Beers book that talks about it and handing it to my OB, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks.

June 21st, 2012, 8:09 pm #2

I'm 14 weeks and taking fragmin (heparin shots). I took them throughout my last pregnancy, with the blessings of my OBGYN, who had published a study on women with MTHFR and deep-vein thrombosis. But I won't see him again until the end of my pregnancy and my current doc is less enthusiastic. I'm going for a day of bloodtesting, etc. at our local university hospital in 2 weeks to determine if I indeed have a clotting disorder. Of course, I hope I don't, but I would prefer to stay on the shots, since at least one doctor thinks I need them.

June 22nd, 2012, 1:03 am #3

I'm 13 weeks along with twins, and have been taking 40 mg of Lovenox beginning prior to transfer. It has been a part of my protocols for a while now, including in several failed cycles. My OB seems to be freaking out a little bit that I'm on Lovenox. She has referred me to a perinatologist for a consult to determine if I really "need" to keep taking it. I'm supposed to get the RE's office to fax over any part of my records relating to the immunity testing results and the decision to prescribe Lovenox, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had OBs react in a similar way. In addition to copying the sections of the Beers book that talks about it and handing it to my OB, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks.
until a few weeks before my due date when I was switched to Heparin. My OB had no problem with it. You seem to be doing fine with it. I took it because I tested + on a Prothrombin test, which showed that my blood had a tendency to clot.

June 22nd, 2012, 1:28 am #4

Thanks.
are on them. The OB may be concerned if you do not have a clotting issue and that you are on them prophylactically. As you probably know, being on a blood thinner, you need to be monitored to check your clotting numbers at least once a month. This could be a liability for an OB who did not prescribed them. My OB was in touch with my hematologist who prescribed the Lovenox, which I took during my pg. My RE would not have anything to do with them but she knew I had clotting issues and was being monitored by a hemotologist. She actually did not proceed with the cycle until she had a letter from my various doctors who were treating me for several immune disorders.
Last edited by demomone on June 22nd, 2012, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2012, 4:17 am #5

Thanks.
I saw both during both pgs. & both were totally fine with me being on Lovenox & baby aspirin. They had both dealt with plenty of patients on it & already had their protocols in terms of when to wean off close to delivery.

Doctors less familiar with it may freak out, but those who are familiar usually do not.

I actually had my water break early with ds #2 & was admitted to the hospital. They held off delivery for 24 hrs. b/c of the Lovenox. Nobody freaked & that was an unplanned event.

I would just see the peri. for your appt. & hopefully he or she will be better versed on the issue.

FWIW, I was a Beer Center patient & neither my peri. nor my ob/gyn were on board with much of it, but nevertheless, they were fine with the protocol.