Ladies I need your help/input/advice.

Ladies I need your help/input/advice.

February 13th, 2012, 9:07 pm #1

I just realized that the big huge, semi-annual kids consignment sale is tomorrow morning. I would like to go with a bit of a strategy. What are some of the things that you recommend I look for there for a good price (feel free to enter a price range that I am looking for). What would you think I should definitely spend the money on to get new vs. get at the consignment sale. I already have plenty of clothes, thanks to my good friend Silkygal. Do you think I could get a good stroller/travel system there? I hear that this sale has EVERYTHING. Is that something you would buy used? And, I am so confused by the array of choices for strollers, so, if shopping for a singleton stroller, what do you recommend? I have a fantastic park near me that want to take long walks in. It hs a trail with a boardwalk walkway built in it. ALso, I live in a great, but hilly neighborhood to take walks in. What about the armsreach co-sleeper. Is that something I can get used? If I have a feeling I will want to use it for awhile, am I better off with th full size vs. the mini? I think I want to get a baby carrier. I remember a thread about those as well. And add anything I haven't mentioned to the list. Especially the type of stuff I should look for at the big sale. Oh yeah, what brand of swings and bouncers do you recommend? I apreciate any info you all can give me.

TIA!

February 13th, 2012, 10:19 pm #2

And I did, and absolutely would again, buy a lot of stuff used. There are so many things that are used for such a short time, that they don't get worn out at all. I bought bouncy seats, small portable swings (I needed two, and regular swings take up so much space - loved these!), exersaucers, bumbo seats, booster seats for dining room table (later obviously), snap and go (metal frame to strap the infant seat in as a stroller until they need a bigger stroller). The cloth seats on those things are removable, so you can take them off and wash them, and then wipe down the other surfaces. This was a huge money saver! I would also do a high chair if you find one you like, a stroller if you see what you want and it's in good shape. Anything else that can be really cleaned and that you think you'll need. Seriously, it's a great way to go!

Have fun shopping!!

Wendy

Last edited by brighton4 on February 13th, 2012, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2012, 12:16 am #3

I just realized that the big huge, semi-annual kids consignment sale is tomorrow morning. I would like to go with a bit of a strategy. What are some of the things that you recommend I look for there for a good price (feel free to enter a price range that I am looking for). What would you think I should definitely spend the money on to get new vs. get at the consignment sale. I already have plenty of clothes, thanks to my good friend Silkygal. Do you think I could get a good stroller/travel system there? I hear that this sale has EVERYTHING. Is that something you would buy used? And, I am so confused by the array of choices for strollers, so, if shopping for a singleton stroller, what do you recommend? I have a fantastic park near me that want to take long walks in. It hs a trail with a boardwalk walkway built in it. ALso, I live in a great, but hilly neighborhood to take walks in. What about the armsreach co-sleeper. Is that something I can get used? If I have a feeling I will want to use it for awhile, am I better off with th full size vs. the mini? I think I want to get a baby carrier. I remember a thread about those as well. And add anything I haven't mentioned to the list. Especially the type of stuff I should look for at the big sale. Oh yeah, what brand of swings and bouncers do you recommend? I apreciate any info you all can give me.

TIA!
we bought their cribs(no matress) clothes.I also bought alot of of craigs list!
I had the co sleeper and really liked it!I also got a plug in swing that was wonderful!! we had one w/ batt and one plug in!!I used those right away!I also love the swaddle blankets and have lots if u would like them~I also had a carrier(well 2 of everything) that we loved! very easy to put baby in(will look up info in a bit)
I think if I had one sweety I would get the graco stroller w car seat(travel system?)
HTH I will be thining of more things~

February 14th, 2012, 12:31 am #4

TIA!
This is a good sale but I would advise against buying your stroller/travel system there. I would buy:

pack n play
bouncy-type stationary plaything ring (for six months ish and up)
swing

February 14th, 2012, 1:03 am #5

TIA!
you won't know what you like until you try them, what's best on your back, etc. my very favorite one with the ball was the Baby Hawk. i didn't love the Baby Bjorn but dh preferred it. people rave about the Ergo. see if they have one with the "infant insert." i splurged on it this time around and i think i will like it. also if there is a wrap like the Moby wrap, you can try that too. i think it's fun to try carriers out and it might be a case of liking something up to 3 months and then switching to something different later. ooooh have fun shopping, mama

February 14th, 2012, 1:27 am #6

TIA!
I'm so happy you're at this point! Start with the Baby Bargain book. It was my bible.

As for a stroller, I recommend just going with the snap n go system. Buy the car seat new but you can always get the stroller and extra base (for babysitter) on craigslist. Never bothered with a travel system. That should get you all the way to about a year. After that, I did get the City Mini as soon as they were back in stock and just love it!

As for swings and such, you might want to see what they enjoy by borrowing a friend's first. Mine loved the bouncing seat (think Sex and the City) but never really got into the swing.

Pick up and put away a bumbo seat. Cost too much new but they're great.

I wish you were local so I could just send stuff!

February 14th, 2012, 2:23 am #7

TIA!
I agree with much already written but to reiterate --

Strollers -- I would do a snap and go kind of thing -- but do the car seat new. I loved my Graco Snug fit. I ended up getting the converter that would allow me to put the car seat on the Citi Mini so never bought the snap and go -- just used the Citi Mini. I used the car seat adaptor until she was right around a year since she did not go over 22 pounds until then. If they have a Citi Mini, grab that. Otherwise, I would not get a stroller.

Exersaucers -- you can get one for $15-$30. Craigslist is another place for those if there are none you like -- I bought one for $15 and one for $20 off of Craigslist.

Swing -- If there is one that you like, grab it. I bought one off of Craigslist but Olivia did not like it.

Carriers -- completely agree with Cotton about grabbing whatever you can -- Ergo, Bjorn, Moby. I actually bought an Ergo and a Moby at full price and a Bjorn off of Craigslist. My favorite is the Ergo but for when the little guy is small you will need an insert.

You might be able to do this in the fall with the next season of consignment sales but the 2 main things I look for at them are pajamas and shoes. I have lucked into some barely used stride rites and bought almost all of O's sleepers for this winter. The shoes were no more than $5 a pair (and I will buy some for the future if they are a good price and barely used) while the sleepers averaged $2 each. I have 2 consigment sales in March and I will be looking for shoes and summer pajamas!

Good luck -- wish I could be there with you. Love consignment sales -- just like I like the Lakewood Antique Market and Lewis Fabric!!!

February 14th, 2012, 2:56 am #8

TIA!
although...to mess with your head the brand of car seat doesn't matter, if you read "Freakonomics". But, I wouldn't want to test the safety of a used car seat. Supposedly, if it has been in a car accident, it doesn't work as well...possibly. Anything else, like exersaucers and such, just buy what looks clean. The strollers have high end and low end, for my baby it was always something in between that was easy to fold up and put in the car.

February 14th, 2012, 3:04 am #9

you won't know what you like until you try them, what's best on your back, etc. my very favorite one with the ball was the Baby Hawk. i didn't love the Baby Bjorn but dh preferred it. people rave about the Ergo. see if they have one with the "infant insert." i splurged on it this time around and i think i will like it. also if there is a wrap like the Moby wrap, you can try that too. i think it's fun to try carriers out and it might be a case of liking something up to 3 months and then switching to something different later. ooooh have fun shopping, mama

I could count on one hand the number of times we have used the stroller that came with DS's travel system. It is just too big and bulky. We carry him around most of the time in carriers...I have an assortment of types. He seems to prefer that as well. Now that he is older, we may just get one of those cheap little strollers, although he still does well in his carriers.

February 14th, 2012, 4:04 am #10

I'm so happy you're at this point! Start with the Baby Bargain book. It was my bible.

As for a stroller, I recommend just going with the snap n go system. Buy the car seat new but you can always get the stroller and extra base (for babysitter) on craigslist. Never bothered with a travel system. That should get you all the way to about a year. After that, I did get the City Mini as soon as they were back in stock and just love it!

As for swings and such, you might want to see what they enjoy by borrowing a friend's first. Mine loved the bouncing seat (think Sex and the City) but never really got into the swing.

Pick up and put away a bumbo seat. Cost too much new but they're great.

I wish you were local so I could just send stuff!

I made some great choices though spent too muchmoney, really. I did not actually NEED 3 activity mats, 3 swings etc. :x