Just Starting... In Chicago

Just Starting... In Chicago

January 5th, 2012, 11:38 pm #1

I was diagnosed with POF last month. I am currently going thru menopause and we are looking for an egg donor. The clinic I work with has its own DB but I don't feel the pull is very wide. We saw a potential candidate we liked (3 pics, proven pregnancy, background seems ok), but i do not want to make a final choice before we see more options. Also, I feel I should ask more questions about the donor and don't know what to ask... any tips?
Thanks and good luck to all of us!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

January 6th, 2012, 1:27 am #2

You will find lots of support and info here. sounds like you have info on important factors (proven and background). by background I assume you mean donor and family medical history. Ask any questions. My first DE cycle I did with my home clinic and an agency donor. Two potential negatives of this route are the cost and potential cycle delays. I had a six month delay from payment to agency and singing contract. if you use an agency I would suggest getting references from prior clients. Our first cycle was not successful and we have moved on to out of town cycling at Shady Grove in MD for guarantee program. selected donor one week ago and so far process has been much eSier than first DE cycle.

January 6th, 2012, 5:54 am #3

I was diagnosed with POF last month. I am currently going thru menopause and we are looking for an egg donor. The clinic I work with has its own DB but I don't feel the pull is very wide. We saw a potential candidate we liked (3 pics, proven pregnancy, background seems ok), but i do not want to make a final choice before we see more options. Also, I feel I should ask more questions about the donor and don't know what to ask... any tips?
For proven donors I think some good questions are:

-how many eggs from previous retrieval, and how many fertilized, made it to day 5, how many live births etc...
-compensation for donor
-dates not available for retrieval
-genetic testing? counsyl.com does 1 blood test for 100+ genetic diseases
-are they willing to register on the donor sibling registry if you would like an anonymous line of communication down the road?

Those are my usual questions - the first one being the most important.... Good luck!

January 6th, 2012, 5:19 pm #4

I, too, have POF and have been dealing with menopause for over a year (I'm 37). I really feel for what you're going through! It's horrible, but I keep trying to remember the good side--since I have a complete lack of hormones naturally, it's actually pretty easy to control my hormonal cycles for IVF.

I can't help with the donor questions yet, but I'm always interested to hear what everyone else has to say.. Best of luck to you!

January 9th, 2012, 9:04 pm #5

You will find lots of support and info here. sounds like you have info on important factors (proven and background). by background I assume you mean donor and family medical history. Ask any questions. My first DE cycle I did with my home clinic and an agency donor. Two potential negatives of this route are the cost and potential cycle delays. I had a six month delay from payment to agency and singing contract. if you use an agency I would suggest getting references from prior clients. Our first cycle was not successful and we have moved on to out of town cycling at Shady Grove in MD for guarantee program. selected donor one week ago and so far process has been much eSier than first DE cycle.
Thanks! What's the story with shady grove? i saw a few mentions of it in the forum. Best of luck to you!!!

January 9th, 2012, 9:05 pm #6

For proven donors I think some good questions are:

-how many eggs from previous retrieval, and how many fertilized, made it to day 5, how many live births etc...
-compensation for donor
-dates not available for retrieval
-genetic testing? counsyl.com does 1 blood test for 100+ genetic diseases
-are they willing to register on the donor sibling registry if you would like an anonymous line of communication down the road?

Those are my usual questions - the first one being the most important.... Good luck!
Thank you so much!

January 9th, 2012, 9:08 pm #7

I, too, have POF and have been dealing with menopause for over a year (I'm 37). I really feel for what you're going through! It's horrible, but I keep trying to remember the good side--since I have a complete lack of hormones naturally, it's actually pretty easy to control my hormonal cycles for IVF.

I can't help with the donor questions yet, but I'm always interested to hear what everyone else has to say.. Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much for your answer. Yes, it's horrible. but "it is what it is"... Thanks for showing me another bright side of our condition. for me it was also finally knowing why we were not able to conceive and I also FINALLY know why I was nauseous so much in the past two years. So there is some kind of comfort in having control over things