just having a bit of a dissapointment moan (OT)

just having a bit of a dissapointment moan (OT)

May 23rd, 2012, 3:55 am #1

Hi,
I organised a romantic dinner for us at a friend's restaurant last night. We finally got a babysitter. She is lovely. All is well. We walk to the restaurant which is owned by a good friend and had a normal adult conversation on the way. The night looked very promising.
Then the owner of the restaurant informs us that we and one other person whom we know slightly are the only ones for dinner.
That other person arrives and we are put into the position of letting him eat alone or having him eat with us. I said he could eat with us.
I really regret this very much. He is an ok person but this was meant to be a romantic dinner and ...
We get home. The babysitter sits and talks to me. She is so lovely. I think to myself we could go out to dinner next week by ourselves.

In front of the sitter my DH says he has a meeting next Tues so we can't go. When the sitter leaves he says we have to tighten our belt financially so such nights out will be very minimal if at all.
Even with the other person at dinner I did enjoy us getting out. Now... may have to wait another 18 plus months for another dinner. Dissapointed on both fronts.

So I suggested we go to the movies instead where we have cheap passes etc. Thats great but its not the same as sitting opposite someone having a one on one conversation - a supreme rariety for us these days.
Sorry for boring you stupid. I had to tell someone. I can't put this on my FB page as owner of restaurant is on it, best, THK

May 23rd, 2012, 11:30 am #2

you sound so kind to offer the other person to sit with you but I may have not done that. I know my DH would have been disappointed not to have alone time with me.
You can also make romantic dinners at home...and enjoy each other and pvt time without spending too much. DH and I like to start planning our Saturday nights at home (since DD was born) on Wednesdays..Gives us alone time to look forward to.

May 23rd, 2012, 12:13 pm #3

Hi,
I organised a romantic dinner for us at a friend's restaurant last night. We finally got a babysitter. She is lovely. All is well. We walk to the restaurant which is owned by a good friend and had a normal adult conversation on the way. The night looked very promising.
Then the owner of the restaurant informs us that we and one other person whom we know slightly are the only ones for dinner.
That other person arrives and we are put into the position of letting him eat alone or having him eat with us. I said he could eat with us.
I really regret this very much. He is an ok person but this was meant to be a romantic dinner and ...
We get home. The babysitter sits and talks to me. She is so lovely. I think to myself we could go out to dinner next week by ourselves.

In front of the sitter my DH says he has a meeting next Tues so we can't go. When the sitter leaves he says we have to tighten our belt financially so such nights out will be very minimal if at all.
Even with the other person at dinner I did enjoy us getting out. Now... may have to wait another 18 plus months for another dinner. Dissapointed on both fronts.

So I suggested we go to the movies instead where we have cheap passes etc. Thats great but its not the same as sitting opposite someone having a one on one conversation - a supreme rariety for us these days.
Sorry for boring you stupid. I had to tell someone. I can't put this on my FB page as owner of restaurant is on it, best, THK
You don't have to wait 18 mths!!!!! I have 4 kids and get out for dinner once a month. We go somewhere inexpensive and pay no babysitting costs! I have a neighbor with kids - we take turns babysitting for each other for free. Find a friend or neighbor and set up an arrangement that suits you both. In fact, when I babysit her kids it is almost like a night out for me anyway as she has only 3 kids (10 and 15) and they don't require any work! I am sure there are other Moms that would be great with Roberto and DH can get some one on one time when you watch the other Mom's kid(s). don't give up so easily!

8 Years Ago it was just DH and me.
DD(7),DD(4),DS(4) & DS(2)
(now thinking about a dog)

May 23rd, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

Hi,

nt
Last edited by BabsA on March 10th, 2013, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2012, 3:18 pm #5

Hi,

I am sorry; I can imagine the disappointment. When DH and I manage to have a quiet dinner out by ourselves, most of the "romantic" conversation is along the lines of, "This is so nice." "This is so great." We're just sort of dazed. And then we tend to talk about stuff like refinancing the house or how much airline tickets will cost, etc. Actually, it's so rare to have the opportunity to talk to other adults, we probably would have been glad to have another person or couple. {{Hugs}} Maggie (in VA)

May 23rd, 2012, 5:46 pm #6

Hi,

That must have been so disappointing...and then to think you can't go out together for such a long time! But here's another thought: it doesn't have to be dinner. DH and I have had to tighten our belts too lately, and sometimes we just go to a coffee shop where we had our first date, which makes it kind of special for us . We can still sit across from each other and sip our cappuccino or whatever. Yes, we could have coffee at home, but part of the point is to take a break from the baby, darling as he is. I hope you can have your own romantic evening very soon!

May 23rd, 2012, 7:59 pm #7

Hi,

It is sooooo much easier to get someone to come by during the day and watch children. I know I did it a lot for other friends, yes I helped at night too.
It seems decadent to have a glass of wine over dinner and everyone always seems more relaxed- and to boot it is cheaper.
Maybe take someone up on an offer to come by during the day and you don't have to do errands...go to a nice restaurant for lunch and live it up!

May 24th, 2012, 6:23 am #8

you sound so kind to offer the other person to sit with you but I may have not done that. I know my DH would have been disappointed not to have alone time with me.
You can also make romantic dinners at home...and enjoy each other and pvt time without spending too much. DH and I like to start planning our Saturday nights at home (since DD was born) on Wednesdays..Gives us alone time to look forward to.
nt

May 24th, 2012, 6:24 am #9

You don't have to wait 18 mths!!!!! I have 4 kids and get out for dinner once a month. We go somewhere inexpensive and pay no babysitting costs! I have a neighbor with kids - we take turns babysitting for each other for free. Find a friend or neighbor and set up an arrangement that suits you both. In fact, when I babysit her kids it is almost like a night out for me anyway as she has only 3 kids (10 and 15) and they don't require any work! I am sure there are other Moms that would be great with Roberto and DH can get some one on one time when you watch the other Mom's kid(s). don't give up so easily!

8 Years Ago it was just DH and me.
DD(7),DD(4),DS(4) & DS(2)
(now thinking about a dog)
nt

May 24th, 2012, 6:25 am #10

nt
nt