Just a quick shoutout to those with older kids - 7 years old!!!!!

Just a quick shoutout to those with older kids - 7 years old!!!!!

November 16th, 2014, 5:01 am #1

Ds #1 just turned 7. I'm truly floored. One of my superiors at work said, "7? You were just bringing him home from the hospital yesterday." So it's not just me!!! I cannot, cannot, cannot believe I have a 7 year old. Some of my dearest board friends are in the same gener@l proxim!ty. We were struggling just yesterday to get pg., moving to DE or struggling AGAIN to get pg. with DE. Some of us were high fsh board vets by that time, having been in the trenches with OE struggles initially.

For those debating & wondering about DE, I say, again, that while I never forget that we turned to DE, it's just not a part of the fabric of our lives, other than knowing that's what we needed to do. At this point, holy cow, we're dealing with school, sports, friends, clothes, etc. Anything & everything BUT infertility. Every single day I know what a miracle he & his brother are & every single day I am cognizant of our journey, but it matters not 1 iota except to sweeten the pot. I came so close to missing out on this & I can't imagine not having my boys. My 7 year old was my first pg. after 3 failed OE ivfs (only 1 to transfer), 2 failed fresh DE attempts, & 1 failed DE FET attempt. I had lost hope.

7 seems insane. I remember well reading the few past posts from women who visited with older DE children, during rollc@ll or via occasional posts. But now I have reached 7 with my oldest. It's truly astonishing!
Last edited by ariadne2 on November 18th, 2014, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 16th, 2014, 5:14 pm #2

My OE DD will turn 8 this January. She's my high FSH baby. My DE boys just turned 5! Let me just say that their father has been gone for 2 nights and I pushed the boys' mattresses together so that all 4 of us could watch a movie in bed together and then snuggle the whole night. I am fully taking advantage of their desire to have me cuddle with them while it lasts! I am steeped in the world of IF because I teach infertility yoga, but as far as my own life, I could not be happier that the miracle of technology and the gift of our donor helped me to create these remarkable children.

p.s., Get ready. 7 can be a hard year emotionally!

November 16th, 2014, 5:14 pm #3

Ds #1 just turned 7. I'm truly floored. One of my superiors at work said, "7? You were just bringing him home from the hospital yesterday." So it's not just me!!! I cannot, cannot, cannot believe I have a 7 year old. Some of my dearest board friends are in the same gener@l proxim!ty. We were struggling just yesterday to get pg., moving to DE or struggling AGAIN to get pg. with DE. Some of us were high fsh board vets by that time, having been in the trenches with OE struggles initially.

For those debating & wondering about DE, I say, again, that while I never forget that we turned to DE, it's just not a part of the fabric of our lives, other than knowing that's what we needed to do. At this point, holy cow, we're dealing with school, sports, friends, clothes, etc. Anything & everything BUT infertility. Every single day I know what a miracle he & his brother are & every single day I am cognizant of our journey, but it matters not 1 iota except to sweeten the pot. I came so close to missing out on this & I can't imagine not having my boys. My 7 year old was my first pg. after 3 failed OE ivfs (only 1 to transfer), 2 failed fresh DE attempts, & 1 failed DE FET attempt. I had lost hope.

7 seems insane. I remember well reading the few past posts from women who visited with older DE children, during rollc@ll or via occasional posts. But now I have reached 7 with my oldest. It's truly astonishing!
My OE DD will turn 8 this January. She's my high FSH baby. My DE boys just turned 5! Let me just say that their father has been gone for 2 nights and I pushed the boys' mattresses together so that all 4 of us could watch a movie in bed together and then snuggle the whole night. I am fully taking advantage of their desire to have me cuddle with them while it lasts! I am steeped in the world of IF because I teach infertility yoga, but as far as my own life, I could not be happier that the miracle of technology and the gift of our donor helped me to create these remarkable children.

November 17th, 2014, 4:27 am #4

My oldest recently turned five. FIVE! It blows me away how it seems like just yesterday that I was trying to get pg and took my overseas journey for DE. I miss seeing all of the familiar names that used to be on here and wonder how they are doing. Pink duck must have a teenager or two. BBG's boys must be about 4. And so many others. Life is so busy. I wish we had a better way to stay in touch with those we took our journey with. I agree that the DE part just really isn't that big a deal anymore. I am just too busy trying to keep my head above water with my two. 😊 lucky me, I know!

Pandora

November 17th, 2014, 9:27 pm #5

I find it amazing how fast time flies by once you finally have a baby in your arms. It seems unfair that the time you are trying to savor flies by, yet the excruciating ttc years go by painfully slow.

And I agree with you, because DS is only 2 1/2, and I never really think much about the donor, other than constantly being grateful that I live in a day and age and country where I am able to be a mom. My day is filled with working full time, getting him to and from daycare and meeting his daily needs. And desperately trying to find something he will eat for dinner. Fortunately he seems to like the food at daycare, so he is getting at least one good meal in him. And he is still breast feeding, so there is that. But boy oh boy, it sure is hard to get my baby to eat something relatively healthy for dinner. I am praying that this is a stage. So these are the things that consume me, and I don't worry one iota that ds won't think of me as his "real mom". I can tell already, there is no chance of that. We are very connected and very happy. And I am his mommy, thru and thru!

November 18th, 2014, 3:58 am #6

My two boys still want to cuddle with me in bed after reading before dh takes them to their own bed. (They have their own rooms but have been sharing a bed.) I am taking advantage of it for as long as it lasts. They are still both very sweet & love their mama.

I will be curious what 7 holds. I keep meaning to order the Bates book recommended on the other board so often.

6 and kindergarten felt rocky. Ds had a bit of a bumpy ride adjusting to K in a public school after being at a private preschool for 2 1/2 years. This year has been much smoother, as he is now familiar with his elementary school & this year he stays for the after-school program. He seems to be doing well & I'm holding my breath. Last year took it out of me, more because I was so unprepared for the drama.

We are dealing some of the jumpy boy behavior. It's astonishing what is expected out of them in K & 1st. I've been told by a parent a little ahead of me at the same school that 2nd grade is mellow in comparison. I was just sorting through papers in his back pack & asking dh if I was losing my mind or it really is always something to deal with?? Fundraiser, school programs, etc. The school has a great PTA & I'm grateful but I do feel like I'm trapped in a game of Whack-a-Mole.

November 18th, 2014, 4:03 am #7

My oldest recently turned five. FIVE! It blows me away how it seems like just yesterday that I was trying to get pg and took my overseas journey for DE. I miss seeing all of the familiar names that used to be on here and wonder how they are doing. Pink duck must have a teenager or two. BBG's boys must be about 4. And so many others. Life is so busy. I wish we had a better way to stay in touch with those we took our journey with. I agree that the DE part just really isn't that big a deal anymore. I am just too busy trying to keep my head above water with my two. 😊 lucky me, I know!

Pandora
How did that happen, Pandora? I remember rooting for you as you moved to DE. Wow. That was yesterday!! LOL!

So K next year for her? Let me know how you're doing if you get a chance. I miss everyone, too, & some posters have been long gone. How old is your younger one now? Mine are just 7 and 4 1/2. They are amazing. I worry a little because I have not handled the tell/no tell as smoothly as I had hoped. I'm still committed to telling but the truth is, they are blabber mouths & have not been particularly interested in anything but talking about how they came out (c-sections for both). My older one is very much an old soul & very bright, so I hope I don't mess it up. But as of yet, the details just haven't seem right to disclose. Ack & sigh.

November 18th, 2014, 4:16 am #8

I find it amazing how fast time flies by once you finally have a baby in your arms. It seems unfair that the time you are trying to savor flies by, yet the excruciating ttc years go by painfully slow.

And I agree with you, because DS is only 2 1/2, and I never really think much about the donor, other than constantly being grateful that I live in a day and age and country where I am able to be a mom. My day is filled with working full time, getting him to and from daycare and meeting his daily needs. And desperately trying to find something he will eat for dinner. Fortunately he seems to like the food at daycare, so he is getting at least one good meal in him. And he is still breast feeding, so there is that. But boy oh boy, it sure is hard to get my baby to eat something relatively healthy for dinner. I am praying that this is a stage. So these are the things that consume me, and I don't worry one iota that ds won't think of me as his "real mom". I can tell already, there is no chance of that. We are very connected and very happy. And I am his mommy, thru and thru!
Glad to connect with you off the board!

Ah, the meal thing. I do remember those days. Not fun, either of my boys. My a$$vice, not that you asked, is to go with what works but keep trying new & more things. We just kept at it & it did get better. It is still hard to balance it all so they are hungry at dinner time, though. I remember my mom fed us at 5:00 or 5:30 but that's not possible for us with both of us working. They tend to be very hungry & need snacks, then they are no longer so hungry once dinner is ready. So I say just keep working at very small inroads. It will eventually make a difference. At this point, they don't get special foods or meal unless planned that way. But I remember so clearly the time of limited palates.

Dr. Prager's veggie pancakes were a big deal for ds #1 & we made them a lot to get veggies into him. I don't recall we did those with #2, though.

I crack up at ds #2's personality, BTW. For those, like you, who recall my 1st 8 weeks or so of pg., let me just say his personality matches. He's a contrarian. A very good natured one but one nonetheless.

November 18th, 2014, 5:57 am #9

Yes, isn't it just so amazing? Thanks for writing your wonderful post. Yes, super busy here but so happy and having lots of fun. Hope to hear from Murph too.

Keep in touch!

Andrea

November 18th, 2014, 6:50 pm #10

nt
Last edited by Maybelline on August 14th, 2016, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.