Its official - FET questions

Its official - FET questions

May 3rd, 2011, 10:16 pm #1

Ladies,

I want to thank everyone for their kind words to my post last night. It is definitely helpful to have a support board with people who understand how much infertility affects us. Having the negative news a day earlier helped to be able to finish work today.

I got the negative news today. It did not work. I do have frosties on ice. I don't know anything about how this works so if anyone can just explain the basics. We do have a bunch frozen. Do they only unfreeze a couple at a time or do they unfreeze all and see which are the best? Which is recommended? I have a follow up call with the doctor tomorrow. Do they recommend how many months you take off b/w cycles? What type of drugs are involved?

I have never given up for things I believe in, its just painful to have to dig deep again and do this.

Brigid
Brigid

May 3rd, 2011, 11:09 pm #2

I wasn't online yesterday, so I missed this, but I am sorry about your negative. This whole proces is so difficult.

I can't answer your frostie questions, as I have never had any frosties until this cycle, but I do know that at my clinic, the success rate for FET is actually slightly higher than it is for fresh. The reason is that they keep the embies an extra day or 2 before freezing (if there are enough) and only the best survive, and then only the best of those survive the freezing process. So, your frozens really are little survivors. Of course, they pick the ones that look the best to transfer fresh, but that's somewhat of a guess. The ones that have survived to freeze are proven to be strong. Good luck to you! Hopefully, they can do it soon-- the constant waiting is so hard!

Bharani
Bharani

May 3rd, 2011, 11:16 pm #3

Ladies,

I want to thank everyone for their kind words to my post last night. It is definitely helpful to have a support board with people who understand how much infertility affects us. Having the negative news a day earlier helped to be able to finish work today.

I got the negative news today. It did not work. I do have frosties on ice. I don't know anything about how this works so if anyone can just explain the basics. We do have a bunch frozen. Do they only unfreeze a couple at a time or do they unfreeze all and see which are the best? Which is recommended? I have a follow up call with the doctor tomorrow. Do they recommend how many months you take off b/w cycles? What type of drugs are involved?

I have never given up for things I believe in, its just painful to have to dig deep again and do this.
it is very hard. but at least you have frosties. From my first DE I have one frozen, but I didn't use it yet.
I wish you good luck on the FET.
b

New2011
New2011

May 3rd, 2011, 11:43 pm #4

Ladies,

Newbie,

I am so sorry this one did not work.
It is good you have frosties to work with. There are lots of ladies here with success stories from FET. I do not know much about the process but I am sure the ladies here will soon share their knowledge. But as for the timeline, my doctor told me that if the fresh fails, I could immediately move to FET even as soon as my next cycle. So I am assuming if you are ready to move, they can do the FET pretty quick.

Good luck and know that we are all here rooting for you.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

May 3rd, 2011, 11:48 pm #5

Ladies,

After my BPN in Jan I could have done the FET as soon as March but delayed a month for add'l work-up to be completed. My clinic freezes embies individually (they are big proponents of SET). Only meds were estrace beginning on CD1, baby ASA, and PIO. I also needed a six day course of ganirelex b/c my ovaries were in overdrive. The perfect embie transferred on my fresh cycle did not implant however the less than perfect embie on my FET did. At the moment I'm in hcg limbo hoping to get some good news tomorrow. Take care of yourself.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:51 pm #6

Ladies,

I cycled right away, the very next month, and conceived the twins. It took an extra week to build my lining so I used patches. Not sure if that's typical or not. Generally they freeze one or two in "straws" so that they don't have to thaw all of them at once. Thawing and refreezing is not recommended. Ask to talk to the embryologist directly to see how they froze them and what they are graded. Good luck. Many of us one the pink board have children that were frosties!

May 4th, 2011, 1:05 am #7

After my BPN in Jan I could have done the FET as soon as March but delayed a month for add'l work-up to be completed. My clinic freezes embies individually (they are big proponents of SET). Only meds were estrace beginning on CD1, baby ASA, and PIO. I also needed a six day course of ganirelex b/c my ovaries were in overdrive. The perfect embie transferred on my fresh cycle did not implant however the less than perfect embie on my FET did. At the moment I'm in hcg limbo hoping to get some good news tomorrow. Take care of yourself.
Mrs M, thanks for taking the time out for a response to me. I hope everything works out for you, I am pulling for you

May 4th, 2011, 1:12 am #8

I cycled right away, the very next month, and conceived the twins. It took an extra week to build my lining so I used patches. Not sure if that's typical or not. Generally they freeze one or two in "straws" so that they don't have to thaw all of them at once. Thawing and refreezing is not recommended. Ask to talk to the embryologist directly to see how they froze them and what they are graded. Good luck. Many of us one the pink board have children that were frosties!
They did mention when I was doing my fresh they do save them in straws and it was two to a straw.

Hope2009
Hope2009

May 4th, 2011, 1:33 am #9

Ladies,

We finally get to what so many find a sure thing and it is truly shocking when it doesn't happen for us. We transferred two 5 day blasts...one hatching and one about to...my lining was great...a 10 tp during our fresh cycle and it was such a shock that such a great cycle could fail.

I pulled up my boot straps though and found support from this board...many have had this happen to them. I had a chemical m/c so we took the month off between that and moving forward with our first FET...started with lupron, estrace..then switched to prometrium and pil...we thawed out 3 of our 5 day blasts..they all made it...2 were looking good, one not so great...and we had a great lining 11 ts...doing acupuncutre, yoga, massage, red raspberry leaf tea and castor oil..we got pg with our singleton.

When he was a year old we started getting ready for another FET...did all the testing, blood work, mammogram, etc...and when our little one was 14 months as soon as I got my period we did what my clinic calls a natural fet...some people do not call it this but we didn't use lupron or BCP TO shut down my ovaries...my own estrogen along with estrace built my lining which ended up being 12 to 14 in certain areas of my uterus.

Then we converted over to prometrium around day 14 when I would normally ovulate...we thawed 3 blasts..all three made it and we are pg almost full term with twins.

At the time of our chemical pgcy during our fresh cycle I just couldn't understand why us...but I came to a place of believing that it just wasn't the right time in hind sight....at the time I thought a spring baby would be perfect for us but when we got to that spring it was sooo busy and I was so glad our first FET baby was born late June. I don't know if that will help you...but sometimes we have to just let go and trust the timing of the universe and move forward with our dreams...neverless believing.

My biggest concern was that we used our first very BEST blasts for our fresh and I kept saying...if those didn't work then why in the world would our FET's with lower quality embies work...but they did...it happens time and time again...we added heparin to our FET cycle but this was the only tweaking we did.

Good luck, blessings from Hope

CatMama75
CatMama75

May 4th, 2011, 1:46 am #10

Ladies,

I'm so sorry. Nothing makes this better, even knowing in advance. But I'm glad you are regrouping tomorrow and moving forward.

By the way, are you in Boston? I vaguely recall a post referring to Fertility Centers of NE. I'm in Boston too, and I'm wondering which clinic you are at. I found success with Brigham.

xoxo