Is Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate as Effective as P4 in Sesame Oil?

Is Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate as Effective as P4 in Sesame Oil?

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 5th, 2012, 6:47 pm #1

Hi,

Sorry for all of the questions lately. It seems that I am finding new things to obsess about these days. Anyway, I have always taken PIO in sesame oil. I do not have any allergic reactions and such to the PIO in sesame oil. Just the usual lumps and bruises. The nurse at my clinic suggested that I try Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate as it is easier to inject and people seem to have less issues with it. My question is this, is it just as effective as PIO in sesame oil? If it's not, I'd just assume stick with what I've always used. Have people had successful pregnancies with ethyl oleate? Were your P4 levels as good as they were with other forms of progesterone? Thanks.

June 5th, 2012, 7:21 pm #2

I actually had a MUCH easier time with sesame oil! It was a cakewalk vs ehtyl oleate, which give me horrible itchy red lumps and bruises. HATED the stuff!!!

June 5th, 2012, 7:44 pm #3

Hi,

Sorry for all of the questions lately. It seems that I am finding new things to obsess about these days. Anyway, I have always taken PIO in sesame oil. I do not have any allergic reactions and such to the PIO in sesame oil. Just the usual lumps and bruises. The nurse at my clinic suggested that I try Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate as it is easier to inject and people seem to have less issues with it. My question is this, is it just as effective as PIO in sesame oil? If it's not, I'd just assume stick with what I've always used. Have people had successful pregnancies with ethyl oleate? Were your P4 levels as good as they were with other forms of progesterone? Thanks.
In the same cycle--started with the sesame oil then switched because I was having problems injecting the thicker one. My levels were good on both, so I didn't see any difference. good luck!

June 5th, 2012, 9:19 pm #4

Hi,

My RE switched me to an olive oil base when I got an allergic reaction to the sesame. Never tried the ethyl oleate. I did start to itch by the time I was ready to wean off the PIO in olive oil. (Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me to ingest either of those oils.)

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 5th, 2012, 9:24 pm #5

I actually had a MUCH easier time with sesame oil! It was a cakewalk vs ehtyl oleate, which give me horrible itchy red lumps and bruises. HATED the stuff!!!
As much as people say that the ethyl oleate is better, I've come across more than a few posts where people had a harder time. I'm willing to try it though if it will make my life easier. Just wanted to make sure that it was just as effective as the sesame oil. Thanks.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 5th, 2012, 9:25 pm #6

In the same cycle--started with the sesame oil then switched because I was having problems injecting the thicker one. My levels were good on both, so I didn't see any difference. good luck!
Thanks for saying this. I just really needed to know that if I made the switch, it would be just as effective as the PIO in sesame oil.

DeeinnYC
DeeinnYC

June 5th, 2012, 9:27 pm #7

My RE switched me to an olive oil base when I got an allergic reaction to the sesame. Never tried the ethyl oleate. I did start to itch by the time I was ready to wean off the PIO in olive oil. (Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me to ingest either of those oils.)
Thanks for mentioning the olive oil PIO. Did you find that your P4 levels were just as good on olive oil as when you used the PIO and sesame oil?

June 5th, 2012, 9:27 pm #8

Hi,

Double post deleted
Last edited by jentenn on June 6th, 2012, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GulfGal
GulfGal

June 5th, 2012, 9:40 pm #9

Hi,

The oil is just the suspension that the progesterone is delivered in. It's the same progesterone in either shot, so it has the same effect. The EO is just a thinner substance than sesame oil, so it's easier to inject. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's comparatively easier. Also, they try it for folks with allergies to sesame/peanut/olive or whatever other oil they try to put in the solution. I was allergic to it all, so I ended up with crinone after 8 weeks on the injections.

June 5th, 2012, 9:43 pm #10

Hi,

In all of my previous cycles, I had used PIO in Sesame Oil. On my last cycle (that produced our daughter), I switched to PIO in Ethyl Oleate as it was the only one now covered by my insurance. I had a successful pregnancy! The only difference that I noticed is that in all of my prior cycles, I really never had lumps or anything. With the Ethyl Oleate, I developed hard, knotty lumps on both hips. Even though I haven't used it now since last August, I still have some lumps on both sides though they are much smaller than they once were. I think it will eventually go away over time, I hope. Never had that with the Sesame Oil. Bottom line though, I had a healthy baby girl so I think either will be just as effective. Good luck to you!