Is heparin (or lovenox)expensive for self-pay? Is it commonly covered even when IF is not?

Is heparin (or lovenox)expensive for self-pay? Is it commonly covered even when IF is not?

August 9th, 2011, 7:00 pm #1

I just heard from an RE at IVF-Phoenix, who says:

The use of heparin or lovenox is not to anticlot a person, but to stimulate nitric oxide synthetase (NOS) activity to increase NO, and hence optimize the uterine environment.

I never knew that. I only knew about the anti-clotting part, so I always resisted it.

ETA: cny doesn't use heparin, just lovenox. Dr. K has been suggesting it for me and I've been resisting. I don't test + for immune issues, but IVF Phoenix caught my attention with their heparin/endometrium protocol.
Last edited by Kekona on August 9th, 2011, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon
anon

August 9th, 2011, 7:53 pm #2

can cost about $1,200 for five days..
The RE who gave you that info should be better informed..the latest results show no increased pg rates in women using lovenox or heparin without a clotting diagnosis.

Kacee
Kacee

August 9th, 2011, 8:44 pm #3

The use of heparin or lovenox is not to anticlot a person, but to stimulate nitric oxide synthetase (NOS) activity to increase NO, and hence optimize the uterine environment.

I never knew that. I only knew about the anti-clotting part, so I always resisted it.

ETA: cny doesn't use heparin, just lovenox. Dr. K has been suggesting it for me and I've been resisting. I don't test + for immune issues, but IVF Phoenix caught my attention with their heparin/endometrium protocol.
reasonably on freegaragesale.com

August 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm #4

I used it in my last failed FET and was self pay. My RE orders meds for self pay patients from Apocathary by Design.

Ariadne
Ariadne

August 10th, 2011, 2:06 am #5

If so, check into whether you have a mail order pharmacy option. If so, it may be cheaper, I learned the hard way.

I was paying $300 a month & $1200 a month for Lovenox & Humira, respectively, through a walk-in pharmacy. That was with insurance coverage. It dropped to $30 for a 90 day supply for each via mail order. I kid you not. It was astonishing. Same policy & everything. The only difference was mail order vs. brick-&-mortar pharmacy.

I have no coverage for ART but had coverage for prescriptions, so it may be worth double checking, just in case. (Note the "had" - last year the insurer started precluding some prescriptions associated with ART.)

August 10th, 2011, 2:11 pm #6

Thanks for that info!