intralipids or IVIG & other meds for immunology

Dee
Dee

January 31st, 2014, 3:51 am #1

has anyone been prescribed IVIG, and done intrallipids instead?

I just had my blood drawn today for Dr. Braverman's immunology panel, I should find out in a few weeks what the results are. They took tons of blood from my arm.

I do think some immunological problem will be found, but I am stressed out hoping that it won't be anything too severe that requires tons of meds. But I do know that taking baby aspirin & prednisone has not helped me on cycles at all.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 31st, 2014, 4:17 am #2

Hi- when you get your NKAssay back it should have a section in it that predicts how much your NK cells will go down with intralipids and how much with IVIG. Its Just a guess. Some believe both are more effective than what those labs show as they are using a tiny dosage. My assay showed no real relief with intralipids but in fact intralipids worked quite well to bring mine down. Dr. T at SIRM has said that he found the dosage he prescribed of intralipids which is higher than that which was traditionally prescribed (I think most now give the same dosage) to be just as effective. There are however cases where intralipids seem to be ineffective yet IVIG works. Prednisone may also help. Just take it one day at a time.

Dee
Dee

January 31st, 2014, 5:06 am #3

I am wondering about my NK cells, because I was tested for them last year, but the test was "negative". So if I do have them, I wonder just how elevated they really are? They did not show up on the previous test. The comprehensive panel might reveal some other issue, though. Perhaps not NK cells, but something else.
I am freaked out about the possibility of IVIG, due not only to the cost, but also to the fact that the RE that I want to work with, has never worked with a patient doing IVIG treatments.

Dee
Dee

January 31st, 2014, 8:14 pm #4

Hi- when you get your NKAssay back it should have a section in it that predicts how much your NK cells will go down with intralipids and how much with IVIG. Its Just a guess. Some believe both are more effective than what those labs show as they are using a tiny dosage. My assay showed no real relief with intralipids but in fact intralipids worked quite well to bring mine down. Dr. T at SIRM has said that he found the dosage he prescribed of intralipids which is higher than that which was traditionally prescribed (I think most now give the same dosage) to be just as effective. There are however cases where intralipids seem to be ineffective yet IVIG works. Prednisone may also help. Just take it one day at a time.
If I need intrallipids or IVIG, can I work with just any RE? I know some REs don't believe in these things or don't think they are necessary.

scubachick33
scubachick33

January 31st, 2014, 8:30 pm #5

has anyone been prescribed IVIG, and done intrallipids instead?

I just had my blood drawn today for Dr. Braverman's immunology panel, I should find out in a few weeks what the results are. They took tons of blood from my arm.

I do think some immunological problem will be found, but I am stressed out hoping that it won't be anything too severe that requires tons of meds. But I do know that taking baby aspirin & prednisone has not helped me on cycles at all.
I'm a Dr B patient, and he let me substitute intralipids for IVIg (I was concerned about cost and blood products). I also used neupogen and lovenox with three courses of intralipids (which I did at both my home clinic in upstate NY and in Dr B's office), and it was all covered by insurance. If that cycle had failed, I think he would've had me do IVIg the next time. Doesn't hurt to ask, and you don't have to do all the recommendations (he had also suggested LIT treatment, but I didn't want to have to go to Mexico just to get my DH's white blood cells injected under my skin- the tx didn't pass my personal gut check and Dr B was okay with me declining).

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 1st, 2014, 3:14 am #6

If I need intrallipids or IVIG, can I work with just any RE? I know some REs don't believe in these things or don't think they are necessary.
Very few RE's know anything about the use of intralipids or IVIG let alone even prescribe them. You need to consult with either an RI or an RE familiar with these issues such as those at SIRM.

Dee
Dee

February 1st, 2014, 5:39 pm #7

I'm a Dr B patient, and he let me substitute intralipids for IVIg (I was concerned about cost and blood products). I also used neupogen and lovenox with three courses of intralipids (which I did at both my home clinic in upstate NY and in Dr B's office), and it was all covered by insurance. If that cycle had failed, I think he would've had me do IVIg the next time. Doesn't hurt to ask, and you don't have to do all the recommendations (he had also suggested LIT treatment, but I didn't want to have to go to Mexico just to get my DH's white blood cells injected under my skin- the tx didn't pass my personal gut check and Dr B was okay with me declining).
get your spouses white blood cells injected into your skin? I have not heard of any treatment like that, but perhaps I should consider it, if I have some incompatibility problem.....

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 1st, 2014, 5:49 pm #8

Dee- LIT is illegal in the US so you'd have to go to Mexico. I have zero experience with it but have heard of it for a long while. Here's an article about it--http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tates.html

Dee
Dee

February 2nd, 2014, 4:23 pm #9

n/t

Dee
Dee

February 3rd, 2014, 3:54 pm #10

Very few RE's know anything about the use of intralipids or IVIG let alone even prescribe them. You need to consult with either an RI or an RE familiar with these issues such as those at SIRM.
If I have already chosen a RE to do the transfer, couldn't I have him do the transfer, and just consult with a different RE on taking IVIG or intrallipids?