Input on donor

Input on donor

May 6th, 2011, 1:58 pm #1

Just wondering if anyone else has had success with a situation like ours.
We are using a 29 yr old donor & this is her second cycle. Her first cycle did not result in a live birth but according to our clinic there isn't a question about her egg quality. I really hadn't thought about this NOT working until I started reading some of the other stories about proven and non proven donors. I have no intention of backing out now and I couldn't if I wanted to. Egg retrieval is Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Has anyone used a donor who had a previous cycle that did not result in a live birth BUT the donor proved successful for them? (I'm sure this is just jitters because it's finally so close to happening)

May 6th, 2011, 3:57 pm #2

I chose a 27 yr old donor that had produced 17 eggs with her first cycle. 15 were mature and 2 blasts were transferred, they did not result in a pregnancy and there were no embryos left to freeze. I spoke to my RE and he said that she had great egg quality and he thought she would be a great donor for us. The couple did CGH and had only 2 genetically sound embryos. What I had to think about was that the recipient couple could have had male factor issues. I also don't know if the female recipient had any immune issues.

For us the donor produced 21 eggs, 18 were mature, 18 fertilized. We transferred 2 grade 1 blasts and had 3 that were frozen. I don't know the outcome yet because my betas are scheduled for next week. I am happy that I chose the donor that I did she did great and hopefully will help us reach our dream of having a family.

I also wanted to add that our donor had 3 pregnancies resulting in 3 live births of her own. So that definitely was one of the reasons that I chose her.

Me:40, DH:41, ttc #1 for 3 years
2/08 Day 3 FSH - 16.4, Day 10 - 11.1
3/09 Day 3 FSH - 10.9, Day 10 - 23.6
Stage 4 endo diagnosed in 11/07
IUI #1 - BFP (4/08)- m/c @ 10wks
IUI #2 - BFN (9/08)
IUI #3 - BFN (10/08)
IUI #4 - BFN (01/09)U/S with trigger shot.
IUI #5 - BFN (02/09)
IUI #6 - BFN (03/09)U/S with trigger shot.
Femara/Letrozole 2.5 mg for IUI's 1- 5
Clomid 100 mg for IUI #6

IVF #1 - April 2010 - Canceled due to low E2 and poor response.

IVF #2 - June 2010 - Canceled due to low E2, thin lining and poor response.

IVF #3 with DE May 2011
Last edited by Dawn_2 on May 6th, 2011, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clinc statements about egg quality
clinc statements about egg quality

May 6th, 2011, 4:48 pm #3

We are using a 29 yr old donor & this is her second cycle. Her first cycle did not result in a live birth but according to our clinic there isn't a question about her egg quality. I really hadn't thought about this NOT working until I started reading some of the other stories about proven and non proven donors. I have no intention of backing out now and I couldn't if I wanted to. Egg retrieval is Monday or Tuesday of next week.
Has anyone used a donor who had a previous cycle that did not result in a live birth BUT the donor proved successful for them? (I'm sure this is just jitters because it's finally so close to happening)
Why do they say this would be my question

If a pregnancy results, that's an indication of good quality

If CGH testing is done, that's an indication of quality

My RE steered me away from a donor with a pregancy where there was nothing to freeze after the cycle She said that was an indication of poor quality

Keep in mind the donor and the partner/donor sperm are part of the equation

Just because the embryos look good or there were many, IMO, doesn't indicate quality.

blazers
blazers

May 6th, 2011, 8:27 pm #4

facing early-onset DOR at 34, I realize now that I had signs (m/c, took long to get pg) at 29 of the problem. if not one of her eggs could make a baby at 29, i would not feel super confident and go with another donor.

Dee
Dee

May 6th, 2011, 8:59 pm #5

she said that she cannot back out at this point.

Dee
Dee

May 6th, 2011, 9:01 pm #6

We used a donor that had one failed cycle. The other cycles resulted in pregnancies. One resulted in a twin pregnancy.

My RE said that it can go either way.

May 6th, 2011, 9:30 pm #7

I haven't had that but if the clinic thinks she is fine, I would go with it and relax. I know it's hard to say that but there is a reason she is cycling again.

May 7th, 2011, 2:50 pm #8

A failed cycle can result from so many things that have NOTHING to do with the donor.

I wouldn't give up yet. If the clinic said her egg quality was good, go with that thought. Think +++++ I used an older donor who had good egg quality. My cousins have gotten pg at ages 38 and 40. I was already through menopause at 25. You can't tell anything from some stats. If the clinic said her egg quality was good, hold onto that, don't worry about what some people here say!

DH's counts were ok?

Hope you have a great number to work with!