If you never succeed, what are the cancer risks of treatment?

If you never succeed, what are the cancer risks of treatment?

April 26th, 2012, 9:43 pm #1

Until this week, I honestly believed DE would work for us and that, by carrying a baby, I would be able to mediate any risks associated with 7+mock ivf cycles of spiked estrogen and so forth. But it appears that my own body's journey is at an end.

I also have fibrocystic breasts, which increase cancer risk, so I plan on demanding on an ultrasound to go with my last mammo after my breasts calm down from this cycle.

I have always been very health conscious, but now I wonder what sort of tests I should be tracking and continuing to track...earlier colonoscopy?

I doubt many of you are in this situation, but I don't know where to go to gather information. I would rather be proactive than simply worried.

April 26th, 2012, 10:02 pm #2

Everyone on my fathers side of the family dies of cancer before their 63rd birthday, including my father. I work in medical research so I did some extensive searches on outcome studies with long term adverse event tracking for IVF patients and I did not find anything that made me pause. That said I can not remember any exact rates but I think I found one "decent" study that showed a very (very) slight risk for reproductive cancers after IVF. And by "decent" I mean that there are very few studies that don't have obvious bias problems built in to their study design or that are prospective or have clean sample populations.

I also have fibrocystic breasts and have under gone regular mammograms and some US's since age 32.I actually neglected this over the past two years but noticed changes after my last (#6 cycle) so I got that done (all clear). I also had a complete check up with both my regular ObGyn and GP. I indicated to both that I would like a comprehensive plan for preventative testing for cancers and why (family history, IVF treatments, work exposure to radiation) and they both are being quite helpful. Fortunately my GP also underwent IVF and she understands what's involved. She has said that right now I don't need to do anything more (I am 43) other than religious check ups, personal vigilance, and recommended screenings.

On the outside chance that I have done something that may have elevated my risk for cancer I will be vigilant about regular cancer screenings - whether I succeed or not.

anonforthis
anonforthis

April 26th, 2012, 10:10 pm #3

Until this week, I honestly believed DE would work for us and that, by carrying a baby, I would be able to mediate any risks associated with 7+mock ivf cycles of spiked estrogen and so forth. But it appears that my own body's journey is at an end.

I also have fibrocystic breasts, which increase cancer risk, so I plan on demanding on an ultrasound to go with my last mammo after my breasts calm down from this cycle.

I have always been very health conscious, but now I wonder what sort of tests I should be tracking and continuing to track...earlier colonoscopy?

I doubt many of you are in this situation, but I don't know where to go to gather information. I would rather be proactive than simply worried.
I did a LOT of cycles. Tell me more about the ultrasound in addition to the mammogram? What are the benefits of ultrasound?

April 26th, 2012, 10:12 pm #4

Here is an organization doing education and advocacy around proper screening for women with dense breasts:

http://www.areyoudense.org/

I follow them on Facebook. They are doing good work.

Anon7
Anon7

April 27th, 2012, 4:04 am #5

and I feel that way no matter what they say. By 7 IVF mock cycles, do you mean 7 tries total, is that the term you are using to describe your IVF cycles? OR do you mean that in addition to other treatments you've also done 7 mock cycles?

I think 7 cycles total is okay. You seem to be in solid financial standing. I think it's good that you are looking into a surrogate and am wishing for a BFP for you very, very soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any knoweledge on the # of cycles, but I think they limit egg donors to 6 total.

Best to you.....

minniet
minniet

April 27th, 2012, 5:24 am #6

I have done 7 total full cycles, including transfer. I have done several mock cycles.

April 27th, 2012, 9:23 pm #7

this does not increase rate for breast cancer. With that being said, the estrogen does. I have done 8 cycles and have a history of breast cancer on my mother's side (both grandmother and aunt had double mastectomies). I have already decided if there is something cancerous in one, I would have them both removed.

I am so sorry you have to think about this.