I wish I knew what it is

I wish I knew what it is

April 16th, 2012, 7:12 pm #1

that makes a toddler willing to sample bird poop on the deck, but not an asparagus spear on his plate.

April 16th, 2012, 7:13 pm #2

It's delicious.
Quit being so judgy.

April 16th, 2012, 7:15 pm #3

p.s. no, I've never tried it. You have a point there.

April 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm #4

My DS was only willing to try brocolli (and asparagus too) once I started calling them "trees". If I remember correctly, we had a big discussion about "trees" earlier that day. I reminded him about that discussion when I served the brocolli. For a while he would only eat the "flowers" and not the "branches" or "tree trunk," but it worked. I actually could almost see the light come on - as if he thought, OH, so this is really something familiar! He was probably a little bit older at the time - 2 something......

Good luck! and, sorry, no help here w/your earlier plight. I do remember the rule at DS's daycare when he was your kids that the kids were only allowed to drink when sitting - no roaming w/sippy cups.

April 16th, 2012, 7:59 pm #5

It's delicious.
Quit being so judgy.

We had asparagus this evening, too. DD will eat anything if you name it the love of her life's name (or his brother or mom or dad or say it has the name of a dog he likes... I worry what's going to happen when they go to seperate kindergartens in the fall. She's already told me she's going to marry him. How will I ever get her to eat if he's out of the picture?)

April 16th, 2012, 8:20 pm #6

that makes a toddler willing to sample bird poop on the deck, but not an asparagus spear on his plate.
Is that it was purple berry bird poop. But Fred would also try the asparagus. It's Bob who wouldn't eat the asparagus, although he seems to have picked up on the negative vibe around his pickiness, and now goes through the motions of sampling whatever vegetable is offered, making a big drama of going "yecchh!" and putting it back. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

April 16th, 2012, 8:30 pm #7

My DS was only willing to try brocolli (and asparagus too) once I started calling them "trees". If I remember correctly, we had a big discussion about "trees" earlier that day. I reminded him about that discussion when I served the brocolli. For a while he would only eat the "flowers" and not the "branches" or "tree trunk," but it worked. I actually could almost see the light come on - as if he thought, OH, so this is really something familiar! He was probably a little bit older at the time - 2 something......

Good luck! and, sorry, no help here w/your earlier plight. I do remember the rule at DS's daycare when he was your kids that the kids were only allowed to drink when sitting - no roaming w/sippy cups.
I call broccoli "little baby trees" to get Girlie to eat it. And it works!

April 16th, 2012, 9:14 pm #8

My kids will eat many veggies now, but they have to dip some of them in ranch. I figure a little ranch can't hurt if they're eating the veggies!

Good luck!

Wendy

April 16th, 2012, 9:30 pm #9

It's a good idea that I will keep in mind - thanks! But right now at this age, the only thing they would dip into the ranch dressing is their head!

April 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm #10

Well, not bird poop over here, but I found the boys yesterday out on the deck munching dog kibble as though it were a bag of potato chips! It is pretty crazy, isn't it??? Just amazing they aren't sick to their stomach's constantly.