I didn't think it could happen . . .

I didn't think it could happen . . .

May 29th, 2012, 4:46 pm #1

I admit, when I read THK's anecdote about the man in the craft market who told her that her son looked exactly like her, I was very happy for her, but I couldn't help but reflect bitterly, "That's never going to happen to me!" My kids are donor conceived on both sides, and I cycled in a country where I had little control over my donors, though some of my DH's family is from that part of Europe, so one twin looks a bit like him.

Anyway, Saturday, I went for a "walk" with Bob in search of DH, who seemed to have headed out on a walk with Fred. Bob was not very interested in walking -- he knocked the toenail off his big toe at the church nursery playing with a door (poor kiddo; that must have hurt so much), and maybe that was why. Though it has not kept him from running around in any other way. Anyway, as I've noted occasionally, Bob is a humongous child, and carrying him in our hilly neighborhood on a hot day was not much of a treat for me.

Some ladies out for a walk saw me lugging Bob down the sidewalk, and they remarked on how precious he was. "Mmmmm, he'd be more adorable to me if he'd walk on his own," I replied wryly. Then one made some sympathetic remark and added, "He looks just like you!"

Now, Bob looks about as much like me as any random citizen of the Czech Republic, but I admit it made my heart swell.

Maggie (in VA)

May 29th, 2012, 4:58 pm #2

I cycled where you did. DD looked like DH pretty much from the beginning but for the past year of so she looks just like my baby pics.
I think a lot of looking like family members, though, is how much they use your mannerisms and expressions. That means a lot.

May 29th, 2012, 5:28 pm #3

I admit, when I read THK's anecdote about the man in the craft market who told her that her son looked exactly like her, I was very happy for her, but I couldn't help but reflect bitterly, "That's never going to happen to me!" My kids are donor conceived on both sides, and I cycled in a country where I had little control over my donors, though some of my DH's family is from that part of Europe, so one twin looks a bit like him.

Anyway, Saturday, I went for a "walk" with Bob in search of DH, who seemed to have headed out on a walk with Fred. Bob was not very interested in walking -- he knocked the toenail off his big toe at the church nursery playing with a door (poor kiddo; that must have hurt so much), and maybe that was why. Though it has not kept him from running around in any other way. Anyway, as I've noted occasionally, Bob is a humongous child, and carrying him in our hilly neighborhood on a hot day was not much of a treat for me.

Some ladies out for a walk saw me lugging Bob down the sidewalk, and they remarked on how precious he was. "Mmmmm, he'd be more adorable to me if he'd walk on his own," I replied wryly. Then one made some sympathetic remark and added, "He looks just like you!"

Now, Bob looks about as much like me as any random citizen of the Czech Republic, but I admit it made my heart swell.

Maggie (in VA)
Even when WE think they don't look like us?! I've gotten that comment twice about DD2 and it cracked me up. Our faces/head shapes, totally different. She has green eyes, super fair skin and strawberry blonde hair, and I have dark hair, skin and eyes. I look very Italian and she looks very Irish. It's a hoot. Both times people have said she looks like me I've thought, wow you must need glasses... BUT I love it, nonetheless. I'll happily take the credit for this perfect little person, any day any time!

Love your last comment LOL, that's how I feel, DD2 looks about as much like me as any random kid on the street . But she's so freakin' cute, who cares. Best,
Kenny

May 29th, 2012, 5:37 pm #4

Maggie (in VA)
I don't think I will ever get that comment. I was walking DS in stroller yesterday and got the comment that he looks just like DH. That's fine, I am in love with both.

May 29th, 2012, 6:46 pm #5

Maggie (in VA)
I'm glad those little words made you so happy. I remember seeing them in a picture you posted and Bob and Fred are both cute lil guys.

May 29th, 2012, 9:17 pm #6

Maggie (in VA)
nt
Last edited by Maybelline on August 15th, 2016, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2012, 1:03 am #7

Maggie (in VA)
Sometimes people tell me that ds looks like me...which just makes me laugh because he is the spitting image of dh.

But, he has a lot of my personality traits--and honestly, I think that resemblance is about a lot more than looks--I think it is about how you "fit" together and are similar in mannerisms and speech patterns.

A good friend of mine adopted a bi-racial baby. She could not look more different than her child--she is fair with blonde hair and blue eyes and her baby is exotic with dark eyes and dark hair (gorgeous!) BUT she is constantly told how much they look alike.

I would bet that if we had a blind study, with video images of moms and video images of their children born through DE, that people would correctly match mom to child at the same rate (or close to) as genetic moms to their child(ren).

It is all about the connection.

That must have been a really cool moment for you!!

May 30th, 2012, 1:47 am #8

Maggie (in VA)
No one has ever told me that my DS looks like me, probably because he doesn't. But that's ok. I would relish it if someone told me that too

May 30th, 2012, 3:49 am #9

Maggie (in VA)
Hi Maggie,
I"m glad someone lovely said that to you. We really need to hear it from a total stranger I think.
I could well imagine carrying a child up hill and down dale on a hot day. My sister used to live in a hilly area. It was hard going at times.
Comments like the one you received give you the same feel good feeling as a box of chocolates - without all the calories
best wishes, THK

May 30th, 2012, 10:45 am #10

Maggie (in VA)
Nice story