I can't believe this happened to me...

I can't believe this happened to me...

March 20th, 2011, 2:53 am #1

I keep discovering that things I eat are bad for implantation.

I can't freaking believe this...

I knew that tumeric was bad for implantation time.

I was at a cafe and getting a salad and I ordered the chicken salad with it on the side. So it was yellow...and I said 'it doesn't have tumeric in it, does it?' And they said 'no that's curry...'

So I was looking at it and thinking that IS tumeric!!! It has to be.

I ate Thai yellow curry last night. YELLOW CURRY IS MADE OUT OF TUMERIC.

I had NO idea. NONE. Goddamnit why did I have to order that????

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18017 ... pregnancy/

Learn from my mistakes!

Don't eat anything with herbs or spices in it. I WASN'T. I DID NOT CONSIDER THAI FOOD TO HAVE HERBS.

This was idiotic. It has A TON of herbs!!!!

The list of spices that is bad for pregnancy is REALLY LONG. You would not believe--ginger! Ginger is bad. Also, too much garlic. A bunch of things stimulate the uterus. INCLUDING TUMERIC.

Why did we go get Thai food??????

This is not the first time this has happened. Peppermint is a uterine stimulant and I think I ate some altoids or something the last time. ALTOIDS!!! I kept finding that the stupid herb tea I was drinking the day before the transfer stimulates the uterus. And all sorts of ridiculous things.

This time, I drank nothing & ate only the simplest foods...I googled everything. I was drinking pomegranate juice then one website said it might have estrogenic effects...so I stopped drinking it.

Until I decided to eat Thai food. Last night.

Of all the crappy luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just hoping and praying I didn't eat too much...Or you need a whole bunch over some period of time to make a difference...

In the back of my mind I sort of thought there was no reason why Thai food could be bad.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay calm about it although you can't tell that from this post, I'm sure!!!!!!!
Last edited by arive on March 20th, 2011, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 20th, 2011, 3:00 am #2

If turmeric was so bad then how do millions of Indian women get pregnant? They eat curry every day and turmeric is a big ingredient that is used in all the different Indian curries. In some families they eat turmeric at every meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner. So not sure turmeric can be that bad. Curious about this - would like to hear what others think.

March 20th, 2011, 3:07 am #3

Something can have a negative effect-like caffeine--but women in Finland who drink pots of coffee a day still get pregnant.

With these effects, it's all about the big numbers...Let's say it affects 1/2 the women--you still wouldn't know that just by looking at how many women get pregnant.

I know it is strange. How does it happen?

I am hoping that it is very mild in food and it would only have effects over time in medicines. But it says it is a uterine stimulant.

We're just in SUCH a fragile state now. You are KILLING yourself to do NOTHING to jeopardize the pregnancy.

Also, Thai food has funugreek, which is definitely bad.

I also found that asafoetida--which is in much indian food--is considered by a lot of people to be bad for pregnancy.

So maybe in food it doesn't matter or maybe when women are trying to get pregnant in India, they eat differently or maybe the women are so young and their attempts at conceiving so much higher than ours were at that age that the times they get pregnant it won't matter.

Epidemiology is very weird. Even medicines--we know some are very bad and it takes years to find this out because only a percentage of people have a problem and the problem can have multiple causes.

PS: Let me mention the herb tea I was drinking was Celestial Seasonings! Not some weird herb tea....don't drink anything with hibiscus or chicory or ginger before transfer.

Seriously, I googled CILANTRO before I ate cilantro (I love cilantro)!!! I googled everything. Even grapefruit juice (it interacts with estrogen in a strange way)! I didn't even eat an arugula salad without making sure arugula was safe.

How did this happen? My one time I don't google my food and it's a BAD FOOD.
Last edited by arive on March 20th, 2011, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bharani
Bharani

March 20th, 2011, 3:34 am #4

I was at a cafe and getting a salad and I ordered the chicken salad with it on the side. So it was yellow...and I said 'it doesn't have tumeric in it, does it?' And they said 'no that's curry...'

Learn from my mistakes!

Don't eat anything with herbs or spices in it. I WASN'T. I DID NOT CONSIDER THAI FOOD TO HAVE HERBS.

The list of spices that is bad for pregnancy is REALLY LONG. You would not believe--ginger! Ginger is bad. Also, too much garlic. A bunch of things stimulate the uterus. INCLUDING TUMERIC.

This is not the first time this has happened. Peppermint is a uterine stimulant and I think I ate some altoids or something the last time. ALTOIDS!!! I kept finding that the stupid herb tea I was drinking the day before the transfer stimulates the uterus. And all sorts of ridiculous things.

This time, I drank nothing & ate only the simplest foods...I googled everything. I was drinking pomegranate juice then one website said it might have estrogenic effects...so I stopped drinking it.

I'm just hoping and praying I didn't eat too much...Or you need a whole bunch over some period of time to make a difference...

In the back of my mind I sort of thought there was no reason why Thai food could be bad.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay calm about it although you can't tell that from this post, I'm sure!!!!!!!
I heard tumeric is good, but never thought it will be bad for implantation. Please send me all the list to avoid. My food it is spicy/alot of garlic.
Sometimes, I wonder and say it must be a luck. For example, I know/ type of relative. Yes, she got married when she was young like 18. She had 4 children with her previous husband, divorce. Then after 8 years when she was like 43/44 married. She smoke alot and live in very poor life style. As soon she married she got pg with a boy. And then with in a year got pg with a girl. She was smoking alot while she was pg. The children that she conceived while she was old are healthy and faster/active than their age children. It must be a luck. More so, what is so strange for me. Her younger sister much younger than her had difficulty getting pg. She got married while she was young too. The first child took her 4 years. The second one she was in England when her daughter was 11 years. She did iui with the first try she got pg. But one thing that made different these two sister the younger one has more weight than her older sister.
Orchid, I hope it didn't harm your situation, try to stay calm. I really want to know which food to avoid.

Orchid
Orchid

March 20th, 2011, 4:05 am #5

Totally! So much is luck!

lots of smokers conceive and give birth at late ages and give birth to GREAT babies. I've seen this in my own family. And their kids are SUPER smart. Like my brother, for instance! Lol.

People live on potato chips and coke during pregnancy and the children are BEAUTIFUL and healthy...

It's a crapshoot, to be sure.

I think we're just more aware and everything in our life is about creating a good place for that baby. So it's such a drag whenever we do anything bad.

I wish I had a list...but I keep discovering new things. Like chicory, hisbiscus (in almost every herbal tea...)

Herbs and spices have medicinal effects--and they are in just about everything.

Tumeric is extremely healthy normally...a lot of these herbs are. Rosemary is great but toxic to embryos.

I'm not even chewing sugarless gum or eating sugarless altoids (which I have a major addiction to) or drinking my beloved coffee or herbal teas....There's such a list of things I'm not eating or drinking--ginger, goji berries, walnuts (another weird food love of mine)...

This says ginger is safe...but I've also read it is a uterine stimulant, which you don't want when implanting:http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregna ... amins.html

It's weird...Is everything I like a uterine stimulant? Black licorice is a uterine stimulant. My very favorite thing in the world:

http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/ ... ancy-2293/

There are a lot of things you'd just find in ordinary foods--nutmeg, fennel, thyme, rhubarb...

Most likely they are safe when using the amount you use in food.

Too much vitamin c is supposed to stimulate the uterus. As is fresh parsley!!!

Bharani
Bharani

March 20th, 2011, 4:48 am #6

I am worry freak too. I think it is because we suffered to get it and we don't want to screw it. As the result we learn alot of the things that can screw up.
Thanks for sharing I put it in favorite.

March 20th, 2011, 7:23 am #7

Totally! So much is luck!

lots of smokers conceive and give birth at late ages and give birth to GREAT babies. I've seen this in my own family. And their kids are SUPER smart. Like my brother, for instance! Lol.

People live on potato chips and coke during pregnancy and the children are BEAUTIFUL and healthy...

It's a crapshoot, to be sure.

I think we're just more aware and everything in our life is about creating a good place for that baby. So it's such a drag whenever we do anything bad.

I wish I had a list...but I keep discovering new things. Like chicory, hisbiscus (in almost every herbal tea...)

Herbs and spices have medicinal effects--and they are in just about everything.

Tumeric is extremely healthy normally...a lot of these herbs are. Rosemary is great but toxic to embryos.

I'm not even chewing sugarless gum or eating sugarless altoids (which I have a major addiction to) or drinking my beloved coffee or herbal teas....There's such a list of things I'm not eating or drinking--ginger, goji berries, walnuts (another weird food love of mine)...

This says ginger is safe...but I've also read it is a uterine stimulant, which you don't want when implanting:http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregna ... amins.html

It's weird...Is everything I like a uterine stimulant? Black licorice is a uterine stimulant. My very favorite thing in the world:

http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/ ... ancy-2293/

There are a lot of things you'd just find in ordinary foods--nutmeg, fennel, thyme, rhubarb...

Most likely they are safe when using the amount you use in food.

Too much vitamin c is supposed to stimulate the uterus. As is fresh parsley!!!

you had in that dish is not enough to truly have any effect on implantation. I think when they say that, they are meaning eating an inordinate amount of tumeric, or taking those supplements. I know of people who take it as a supplement as it is very good for you.

But, I do know how it is hard to not want to google every little thing and try to do everything in our power to up our chances. GL with everything Orchid. And, I truly think the one thai dish is ok.

March 20th, 2011, 10:47 am #8

Learn from my mistakes!

Some Indian dishes are full of tumeric and tumeric makes you have diarrhoea if eaten too much. As long as your Thai curry didn't give you the awful runs to the toilet I am absolutely sure you didn't eat too much of it. Most of my ladies eat tumeric here and we don't have any problem with implantation - Indians say pineapple causes miscarriage and they even eat it when they get pregnant and don't want the baby to make it come out naturally - go figure!

thesameboat
thesameboat

March 20th, 2011, 12:16 pm #9

Learn from my mistakes!

The tiny amount you get in food is insubstantial. Try not to make yourself sick with worry. You're doing fine. The big things to avoid are hot baths after transfer and lifting or jumping. Unless you're taking meds of some kind, nothing else can really matter. (Of course, I'm assuming you aren't drinking tequila and red bull!)

Good luck to you.

March 20th, 2011, 3:54 pm #10

Some Indian dishes are full of tumeric and tumeric makes you have diarrhoea if eaten too much. As long as your Thai curry didn't give you the awful runs to the toilet I am absolutely sure you didn't eat too much of it. Most of my ladies eat tumeric here and we don't have any problem with implantation - Indians say pineapple causes miscarriage and they even eat it when they get pregnant and don't want the baby to make it come out naturally - go figure!
I am just amazed at the number of things you really shouldn't do when you're trying to get pregnant!

I read you are SUPPOSED to eat pineapple!!!!

I ate a whole bunch.

Wow, this is seriously confusing.

It just amazes me how everything seems to affect the body/fertility/implantation. I mean, fennel?

I probably know too much at this point.
Last edited by arive on March 20th, 2011, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.