How would you look for a donor?

How would you look for a donor?

January 30th, 2012, 1:58 pm #1

We have decided to go a bit of an unusual donor route. Because being willing to be known is important to us and that money is super-tight, we are going to cycle in one of the 'cheaper' IVF countries where it isn't illegal to have disclosure. All the clinic donors are anon though, so we are advertising for our own donor.

Just wondering how/where you would recommend advertising for a local donor. I was thinking of flyers at the local university and hospital (thinking med student or nurse/Dr) but I'm not known for thinking 'outside the box' and was wondering if you ladies had any inspiring ideas?

Any suggestions would be very welcome! Thanks!

January 30th, 2012, 3:28 pm #2

The country most likely to be able to accommodate you. Maybe the other women who cycled in South Africa can speak to this, but my impression is that you could find an agency donor who would be open to contact. But agency means more money, and South Africa is lower cost, but not the lowest cost international option. I'm just not sure how you would handle flyers, for example, without making a separate trip to the country in question. Targeted online advertising to a student body would probably be the most effective way to do it, but would likely not be cheap, if available. There is a Johannesburg Craiglist, but I think most of women who cycled in S.A. used Cape Fertility in Capetown, and those cities are far from each other. You could see whether the local colleges have campus newspapers; classified ads might not be too expensive. Hope others have better suggestions! Maggie (in VA)

January 30th, 2012, 5:20 pm #3

We have decided to go a bit of an unusual donor route. Because being willing to be known is important to us and that money is super-tight, we are going to cycle in one of the 'cheaper' IVF countries where it isn't illegal to have disclosure. All the clinic donors are anon though, so we are advertising for our own donor.

Just wondering how/where you would recommend advertising for a local donor. I was thinking of flyers at the local university and hospital (thinking med student or nurse/Dr) but I'm not known for thinking 'outside the box' and was wondering if you ladies had any inspiring ideas?

You could also put ads in local papers and university newsletters.

January 30th, 2012, 10:15 pm #4

tertia albertyn has a heartbreaking and ultimately beautiful infertility story and she went on to start her own agency.

http://www.nurture.co.za/

this is her blog - i used to follow her religiously. she seems terrific and i can't imagine that she wants anything but the very best for her clients.

http://www.tertia.org/

i would think maybe she could somehow help you to figure things out if you were to contact her.

NOTE: i don't know anyone who has used her. i just think it would be where i would start if i were to go to south africa.

January 31st, 2012, 7:14 am #5

Hi Aussiehoneygirl,
I ask are you in Australia as I did DEIVF in Kuala Lumpur and got pg the first time I went there. The place I went to had a 100% success rate in December) and usually has a very high success rate.
They have caucasian donors and Asian donors and its not expensive. It took me one and a half months to organise a donor and to then go to KL and have the transfer. I now have a little boy (14 months old).
Let me know if you want any info about it as am glad to help another Aussie.
I am in Perth. You can write me @;
perthkitty @ yahoo . com
(join it all together).
best, THK

diaphanta
diaphanta

January 31st, 2012, 12:39 pm #6

tertia albertyn has a heartbreaking and ultimately beautiful infertility story and she went on to start her own agency.

http://www.nurture.co.za/

this is her blog - i used to follow her religiously. she seems terrific and i can't imagine that she wants anything but the very best for her clients.

http://www.tertia.org/

i would think maybe she could somehow help you to figure things out if you were to contact her.

NOTE: i don't know anyone who has used her. i just think it would be where i would start if i were to go to south africa.
Tertia is terrific and am lucky to count her as a friend. You couldn't find a better person to help you in a donor search.

Increasingly, however, South Africa is becoming more and more 'anonymous' in it's approach. You are now unable to look at adult pictures of donors, and actually meeting them (something I did a few years ago) is now really frowned upon and not supported by agencies.

At the same time, I think systems in SA are still relatively open, and you are more likely to find out the identity of your donor there (if you wanted to) compared to other countries.

January 31st, 2012, 11:09 pm #7

The country most likely to be able to accommodate you. Maybe the other women who cycled in South Africa can speak to this, but my impression is that you could find an agency donor who would be open to contact. But agency means more money, and South Africa is lower cost, but not the lowest cost international option. I'm just not sure how you would handle flyers, for example, without making a separate trip to the country in question. Targeted online advertising to a student body would probably be the most effective way to do it, but would likely not be cheap, if available. There is a Johannesburg Craiglist, but I think most of women who cycled in S.A. used Cape Fertility in Capetown, and those cities are far from each other. You could see whether the local colleges have campus newspapers; classified ads might not be too expensive. Hope others have better suggestions! Maggie (in VA)
It's the law, and they were really cracking down on Robin (owner of the Global Egg Donors agency) when I was there three years ago. She had been allowing IPs to meet their donors if both agreed. She had to stop doing that, as well as take down her adult photos. You might want to ask Tertia (Nurture agency) just to make sure; I know her and I'm sure she'd give you a straight answer.

Maya

February 1st, 2012, 12:39 am #8

HI all, thanks for your input. I've looked seriously at SA and have had email contact with Tertia but Maya is correct with the anonymity issue. We are actually looking at Kenya. They have a decent sized donor program with a 60% success rate and the cost is around the $5000 USD (that includes ALL meds even progesterone support if you are successful!). Their own donors are anon but we can advertise in country ourselves for a non-anon donor. A FET is only $300!!! (and I believe they are vitrifying).

Even though I am Caucasian I am happy to choose a dark-skinned donor as my DH is Kenyan and our OE son is quite dark. We also have tons of family in the area of the clinic so the trip will be a 'double hit' of fertility treatment and family get-together! Now obviously I have people 'on the ground' so to speak who could hand out flyers etc but we didn't want to tell family about DE until we tell any possible children. Thus that avenue is out! I hadn't considered a newspaper ad (see, told you I don't see 'outside' the box!!!) so I think that sounds a great idea.

THK, I am in QLD currently with very wet feet! Thankfully the rain has stopped now! Thanks for your suggestion, I have looked at that option, but with DH needing a visa for most countries and the family aspect, Kenya is an 'easier' fit. Although I must say I didn't realise that KL had Caucasian donors, so will keep that on the list as an option. We go to the USA regularly but can't afford the high cost of finding an agency donor willing to be known. Thanks also for your email addy. I've seen pics of your little guy and he sure is a cutie!

Maya, nice to 'see' you again!

Thanks guys,
AHG

E&H
E&H

February 1st, 2012, 2:00 am #9

She has donated here before, I'll email her and ask, if she doesn't mind I will email you her contact. I think Kenya is a great place for you to go. I would do a safari at the same time, its the best place for Safaris.

February 1st, 2012, 4:13 am #10

HI all, thanks for your input. I've looked seriously at SA and have had email contact with Tertia but Maya is correct with the anonymity issue. We are actually looking at Kenya. They have a decent sized donor program with a 60% success rate and the cost is around the $5000 USD (that includes ALL meds even progesterone support if you are successful!). Their own donors are anon but we can advertise in country ourselves for a non-anon donor. A FET is only $300!!! (and I believe they are vitrifying).

Even though I am Caucasian I am happy to choose a dark-skinned donor as my DH is Kenyan and our OE son is quite dark. We also have tons of family in the area of the clinic so the trip will be a 'double hit' of fertility treatment and family get-together! Now obviously I have people 'on the ground' so to speak who could hand out flyers etc but we didn't want to tell family about DE until we tell any possible children. Thus that avenue is out! I hadn't considered a newspaper ad (see, told you I don't see 'outside' the box!!!) so I think that sounds a great idea.

THK, I am in QLD currently with very wet feet! Thankfully the rain has stopped now! Thanks for your suggestion, I have looked at that option, but with DH needing a visa for most countries and the family aspect, Kenya is an 'easier' fit. Although I must say I didn't realise that KL had Caucasian donors, so will keep that on the list as an option. We go to the USA regularly but can't afford the high cost of finding an agency donor willing to be known. Thanks also for your email addy. I've seen pics of your little guy and he sure is a cutie!

Maya, nice to 'see' you again!

Thanks guys,
AHG
Hi ya,
I love Qld. I heard there are floods again which is awful. I am pleased to hear the rain has stopped its such a worry hey take no chances.
Thought I might ment that the KL clinic has African donors as well (many africans in KL). Kenya sounds good $$ wise. If you go there make sure they vitfify at the clinic.
Write me anytime and if you are out this way (purrth) let me know and we could meet up if you wish, best of luck to you honey
THK