how to increase the chances of having siblings from the same donor ?

how to increase the chances of having siblings from the same donor ?

maybe1
maybe1

March 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm #1

Me & DH are in the early stages of preparing for the donor egg process. This would be our first kid, but ideally we'd like to eventually have 3. We think it would be best for the kids to be from the same donor, but we are not sure how to optimize for this. If we wanted to just have 2 kids this would seem reasonably likely with one donor cycle (assuming that no unexpected further fertility issues come up in addition to my POF), but 3 kids seems fairly unlikely. Any suggestions?

Among the ideas we came up with was to go to one of the clinics where the success rates are highest, especially for frozen embrios. But I haven't been able to figure out why the success rates at some places are so much higher than others - is it that their labs/procedures are much better, or is it that their pre-screening of the embrios is much more stringent? If it's the latter, I'm not sure there would be an advantage with our goal in mind.

Also of course doing multiple donor cycles would be a way, but how do we increase the chance of the donor agreeing to do a second cycle? Is it possible to have it in the contract? It somehow seems to me that such approach can not work, it wouldn't feel right to make the donor do another cycle if she's changed her mind and doesn't want to do it anymore...

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 19th, 2012, 9:54 pm #2

I would say pick a proven high producing donor and do a fresh cycle hoping for frozens then do another freeze all cycle with same donor right after you cycle with her even if you get pg from first cycle.. A clinic donor is least expensive and probably willing that way she will not have to travel..

March 19th, 2012, 11:29 pm #3

Me & DH are in the early stages of preparing for the donor egg process. This would be our first kid, but ideally we'd like to eventually have 3. We think it would be best for the kids to be from the same donor, but we are not sure how to optimize for this. If we wanted to just have 2 kids this would seem reasonably likely with one donor cycle (assuming that no unexpected further fertility issues come up in addition to my POF), but 3 kids seems fairly unlikely. Any suggestions?

Among the ideas we came up with was to go to one of the clinics where the success rates are highest, especially for frozen embrios. But I haven't been able to figure out why the success rates at some places are so much higher than others - is it that their labs/procedures are much better, or is it that their pre-screening of the embrios is much more stringent? If it's the latter, I'm not sure there would be an advantage with our goal in mind.

Also of course doing multiple donor cycles would be a way, but how do we increase the chance of the donor agreeing to do a second cycle? Is it possible to have it in the contract? It somehow seems to me that such approach can not work, it wouldn't feel right to make the donor do another cycle if she's changed her mind and doesn't want to do it anymore...

I know how variable it all is but can tell you the cycle that led to my kids produced seven children for three family - three for original family, two for first embryo recipient and two for me. I think you are realistic to be thinking ahead and mine is only one story but it definitely can happen! Maybe you can post on the pink board and ask how many women who went for #3 with the same donor succeeded.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 20th, 2012, 9:49 pm #4

After we did our first DE cycle, we contracted with the same donor again and did a freeze-all cycle to have lots of frozens.

Then 4 years later to have one more child, we asked her to donate again (asked through her agent) and she agreed.

She had already donated 6 times total and "retired" per ASRM guidelines, but clinics often will let them donate further for sibling cycles.

Yes we very much wanted all our kids from the same donor

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm #5

Just curious did you have a child from the first fresh cycle? Any from the freeze all cycle and any from the second fresh cycle?

Expectingtoexpectsoon
Expectingtoexpectsoon

March 21st, 2012, 2:06 pm #6

Discuss the various options with your clinic. You may need to do a cryo-only cycle immediately after your fresh cycle.

Monica
Monica

March 26th, 2012, 4:05 pm #7

I'm a former donor (I cycled back in 2005/2006 but I still visit the boards from time to time.) I cycled for multiple times for one of the recipient couples. However, I also cycled for another couple who, unfortunately, did not become pregnant. About two years later, they contacted me to find out if I would donate again for them. However, by this time I had married and my husband and I were trying to expand our own family so I had to tell them no. I would have absolutely donated again for them if had been able. Even if your donor is willing to do multiple cycles, I would still consider a frozen cycle immediately following a fresh. Most likely, you won't be ready for a sibling cycle for 1-2 years following the first cycle and there could be major changes in your donor's life by this time (marriage, a move, etc) that might make another donation impossible. I know if one of my recipients asked me now to do a sibling cycle, I would try to do it for them, but at this point I'm quite a bit older and reaching the upper age limit for a donor. So age is a factor to consider, too.