How much weight did you gain?

How much weight did you gain?

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

May 26th, 2011, 2:46 pm #1

Hi ladies. I know this probably shouldn't be high on the list of my worries at this point, but I've gained so much weight during this whole IVF, and now DE process that it's distressing. Between shots, recovering from shots, not exercising during shots, not exercising when in 2ww and everything else, I feel like I've relinquished nearly all control over my body. And I've gained a ton of weigh and am up nearly 2 sizes in the last 2 years. And the latest meds (Lupron and folate) seem to have done a serious number on my digestive system - let's just say there is movement. I had a few months in b/w cycles to get myself back into some semblance of shape, but I blew that opportunity, so now I'm mad at myself on top of everything else. There's some vanity involved, but mainly, I just want a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks for listening.

Calm
Calm

May 26th, 2011, 3:21 pm #2

...in the two years of IVFs and DE cycles, I likely put on 25 lbs. Some of it drug related for sure (not sure which one was worse, but for me it seems to progesterone was the culprit) - but mostly because I often used really yummy fattening food to make myself feel better! On top of it all, I let the schedule of shots, etc. give me a great excuse not to go to the gym at night! This is hard stuff and it is so hard on our bodies. But what it does to our brains...for me that is worse! I don't think there is a simple answer - but I do know that beating yourself up about it likely just makes things worse. First thing, give yourself a break and know that this process is amazingly challenging. Chin up for having the courage and the strength to charge on...that makes you amazing!!!

After our first DE failed, I got the follow up report from the RE stating that my weight could be a factor...something he never mentioned in person, since he likely knew that would set me off. Even though I know a healthier weight is better, I could never really deal with it - with so many other things to worry about/plan for/track. A "diet" was the last thing I needed to add to the list. I am sure you can relate! Not sure why, but one Saturday morning, I woke up and went to Weight Watchers. I was between cycles and for some reason, the structure of it felt like a cycle to me...very familiar! I didn't go nuts, just followed along...fell of the wagon regularly, but recovered the next day. A pound here and there have added up to 16 lost. Haven't been motivated to excercise at all...hoping that happens one of these days

I, too, beat myself up about it...and it really is an energy drain. Set yourself free and make tiny changes - a healthier you will be a happier you. But don't stress and try not to set crazy expectations (I know, easier said than done!). Baby steps

May 26th, 2011, 5:20 pm #3

Hi ladies. I know this probably shouldn't be high on the list of my worries at this point, but I've gained so much weight during this whole IVF, and now DE process that it's distressing. Between shots, recovering from shots, not exercising during shots, not exercising when in 2ww and everything else, I feel like I've relinquished nearly all control over my body. And I've gained a ton of weigh and am up nearly 2 sizes in the last 2 years. And the latest meds (Lupron and folate) seem to have done a serious number on my digestive system - let's just say there is movement. I had a few months in b/w cycles to get myself back into some semblance of shape, but I blew that opportunity, so now I'm mad at myself on top of everything else. There's some vanity involved, but mainly, I just want a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks for listening.
I am on a medically supervised diet (HMR healthy solutions) to get rid of it. I have never been this heavy. And then it would not go away! It scared me!

Note: That's just the last cycle!!! It is more if I count every procedure.

Yeesh!
Last edited by arive on May 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2011, 5:20 pm #4

...in the two years of IVFs and DE cycles, I likely put on 25 lbs. Some of it drug related for sure (not sure which one was worse, but for me it seems to progesterone was the culprit) - but mostly because I often used really yummy fattening food to make myself feel better! On top of it all, I let the schedule of shots, etc. give me a great excuse not to go to the gym at night! This is hard stuff and it is so hard on our bodies. But what it does to our brains...for me that is worse! I don't think there is a simple answer - but I do know that beating yourself up about it likely just makes things worse. First thing, give yourself a break and know that this process is amazingly challenging. Chin up for having the courage and the strength to charge on...that makes you amazing!!!

After our first DE failed, I got the follow up report from the RE stating that my weight could be a factor...something he never mentioned in person, since he likely knew that would set me off. Even though I know a healthier weight is better, I could never really deal with it - with so many other things to worry about/plan for/track. A "diet" was the last thing I needed to add to the list. I am sure you can relate! Not sure why, but one Saturday morning, I woke up and went to Weight Watchers. I was between cycles and for some reason, the structure of it felt like a cycle to me...very familiar! I didn't go nuts, just followed along...fell of the wagon regularly, but recovered the next day. A pound here and there have added up to 16 lost. Haven't been motivated to excercise at all...hoping that happens one of these days

I, too, beat myself up about it...and it really is an energy drain. Set yourself free and make tiny changes - a healthier you will be a happier you. But don't stress and try not to set crazy expectations (I know, easier said than done!). Baby steps
It's probably more if I start with the whole thing, all the RE procedures.

May 26th, 2011, 11:27 pm #5

Thanks for listening.
Meds, stress and life of IF did the deed.

May 26th, 2011, 11:50 pm #6

It's depressing to look at my medical records. Phooey! 2 years ago I weighed 30 lbs. less!

Also, it seems to be stubborn weight to lose.

May 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm #7

Thanks for listening.

In the 5 yrs we were on ART I put on a total of about 50lbs - the biggest gain was after starting DE when I was put on steroids on top of the estrogen/progesterone weight gain. The last two cycles, when the Dr tripled the prednisone dose really packed on the weight.

I had managed to lose 30lbs after our little guy was born (fresh DE cycle #4) but quickly gained it back when I was put back on steroids for our final FET when he was 7 months old. Four months back on steroids started the weight gain right back up again. And yes, its very hard to lose the hormone/steroid weight!

So far this pg I've only gained 7.8lbs at 7 months (thinking I'm losing steroid weight as I gain baby weight) but I have a long hard road ahead when this little one is born. I doubt I'll ever see the 110lbs I was when all this started, but I'd like to get back down to around 140~

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

May 29th, 2011, 12:58 am #8

Thanks for listening.
at least I didn't gain another pound. Right? This process is utterly dreadful!

K
K

May 29th, 2011, 12:42 pm #9

I'm with you!!!!! Nt

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

May 31st, 2011, 12:41 am #10

Only 22 more to go. This will certainly not happen by next week.

Maybe it's the heat, but I've been eating mostly fruits and vegetables for the last few days. I don't eat chicken or meat as it is, only fish. So I've cut out sweets, and most starches. I also hit the yoga studio twice this weekend and went jogging. Amazing what a long weekend can do for a girl.

Alas, back to the grind tomorrow!