How Much Did You Care about Donor's Age?

How Much Did You Care about Donor's Age?

October 5th, 2011, 4:18 pm #1

It seems a lot of the in-house donor's at the clinics I'm considering are around 30 years old. My DH and I had decided we want mid-20s at the oldest to make sure eggs are robust and fresh. I know the official conclusions are that up to early 30s is within the acceptable donor age range, but that seems too old to us.

Do you guys have donor age as an important criteria? What do you know about successes using "older" donors. (Haha, look at me thinking a 30-year old is too old! lol. but you know what I mean.) Are our instincts on or off on this issue? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

October 5th, 2011, 4:57 pm #2

He said if the donor was in their clinic pool then they passed all the tests and are all good candidates. He said they would not be on the list if they were not good candidates. I think my clinic used an age cuttoff of 31. But my RE said even that was a conservative age cutoff.

Lots of my clinic donors were about 29, 30 or 31 and had been previous donors. The donor I ended up using was 25 years old and she was available and met our personal criteria so we went with her. If she was 30 years old I still would have picked her because I liked her profile though.

My RE said if I looked at the donor list and couldn't decide between a few candidates to run them by him and he would give me an opinion as to which one we would have a better chance with.

Good luck!

October 5th, 2011, 4:58 pm #3

It seems a lot of the in-house donor's at the clinics I'm considering are around 30 years old. My DH and I had decided we want mid-20s at the oldest to make sure eggs are robust and fresh. I know the official conclusions are that up to early 30s is within the acceptable donor age range, but that seems too old to us.

Do you guys have donor age as an important criteria? What do you know about successes using "older" donors. (Haha, look at me thinking a 30-year old is too old! lol. but you know what I mean.) Are our instincts on or off on this issue? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
After all, I never had ANY issues that would indícate that I would be infertile, but at 35 I was unsuccessful at IVF because I was, to quote the doctor, 'too old.'

October 5th, 2011, 5:00 pm #4

Thanks!
I wanted them to be proven, i.e., have had a live birth from a previous donation. My donor for my first kid was 32 and the donor for my current pregnancy was 26. Each had their own children already and was proven as a donor. I wanted some reliability- like they were good followers of the protocol, had predictable responses to the meds, etc...Also my clinic does a lot of testing and investigating into the donors so I wanted someone who was thoroughly vetted and was asked back by the clinic.

October 5th, 2011, 5:07 pm #5

Thanks!
read up on it, I think we peak at 25 but the slow down is minimal till 30. My donor was 24.

October 5th, 2011, 5:30 pm #6

Thanks!
7 little ones for 3 families from a single donation - 3 to the original family and another mom and I received the gift of embryo donation from them. So, older is ok IME.

October 5th, 2011, 6:01 pm #7

Thanks!
I used an in-house donor who was 32 nearing 33. She provided us with 41 eggs of which 29 fertilized. I got pregnant on my fresh transfer and we were lucky to get 25 frosties. I am currently pregnant with twins from my first frozen transfer and we still have 20 frosties. I know I am extremely blessed and my results are very, very, very far from normal. Using an "older" donor worked out well for us.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is a tough one. Once I made my decision I never looked back. And honestly, I rarely think about the fact that I had to go the DE route. I have the child I was supposed to have - and she is awesome!

October 5th, 2011, 6:40 pm #8

Thanks!
my donor was 25 and proven several live births. It was important to us to stack what little "odds" there are in our favor. That, was the plan. Above anything else!

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 5th, 2011, 6:41 pm #9

Thanks!
...we had a friend donate for us..she was 32 and she only produced 6 eggs. All of them fertilized and they transferred back 3 on day 3. The other 3 they tried to take to day 5 but they didnt make it.
But we were very lucky and now have a 3yr old DS.
It was the first try and the egg quality wasnt considered great although our clinic doesnt grade eggs because the RE believes that low quality embies can make perfect babies and ..I guess we are proof.
I do wish we would have had frozens but I am eternally grateful for my son.

samys
samys

October 5th, 2011, 6:41 pm #10

Thanks!
I moved on to DE at 35 with unexplained infertility (six failed cycles with great embryos). My first donor was 23 and unproven, and did worse than I have ever done in a cycle - less eggs, only a couple low quality embryos. I was ready to hang myself as it was an agency donor and I spent a ton! Our second donor was 26, proven and a total rock star on her cycle, and gave us our son and another one on the way.

My personal experience was the proven donor was better. If you had two equivalent non-proven donors, I would go for the younger one. (My RE was adamant that I choose a younger donor, she felt that if I went 30 or above I should keep going with myself. I guess everyone has their opinion.)

I think luck comes in to play. Good luck!