How many to transfer...the neverending mind battle :) m/c mentioned

How many to transfer...the neverending mind battle :) m/c mentioned

bethphx
bethphx

September 2nd, 2011, 7:17 pm #1

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
Quote
Share

Denise
Denise

September 2nd, 2011, 7:30 pm #2

My vote is two twins are awesome in my opinion!
Quote
Share

Joined: March 25th, 2008, 8:46 pm

September 2nd, 2011, 7:53 pm #3

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
and let that decide. I am completely pulling this out of my ahem but suppose twins are 4 times as likely to be micropreemies as singletons for example. I'd compare absolute and relative risk. Though if I were standing in your shoes and had never been in mine, I am pretty sure I'd go for 2 this time.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 6th, 2007, 1:08 am

September 3rd, 2011, 6:35 am #4

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
but depending on the cost of each transfer - FETs are fairly cheap here but dont know about USA. My reasons for doing a single embryo transfer is not because you may end up with twins but if your lining is not perfect I wouldn't waste the embryos but then again if it was really good I would consider putting in two in the hope that one would take, maybe my reasoning is a little off but I would rather have twins than waste 2 embryos if the lining
Last edited by Chrismal2 on September 4th, 2011, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

aussiehoneygirl
aussiehoneygirl

September 3rd, 2011, 6:58 am #5

My thoughts echo E&H's exactly! I wouldn't want to risk losing the embies to a thin lining but if a good lining came up I would absolutely put back 2.
Sorry about your m/c too.
Best of luck.
Quote
Share

Joined: December 15th, 2006, 3:54 am

September 3rd, 2011, 11:59 am #6

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
My RE's recommendation was to transfer one and not waste the others in the event we had to keep trying. However, I already had a child, so that played into our decision as well. And, I work full time and wanted to continue working so twins would have been really difficult, not to mention my son was a preemie so we didn't want to risk it. I'd also wait to see how your blasts thaw.

Hope this helps with your decision and I hope this next cycle brings you a sweet baby!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 31st, 2011, 3:38 am

September 3rd, 2011, 3:34 pm #7

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
I'm so glad to see that you are close to your next transfer!!! Would you consider doing genetic testing? (More importantly, is your clinic expert at it?) We did CGH and only 55% of the embryos were genetically viable, despite the fact that most looked really good. After debating it over and over and every which way, we did CGH and a single transfer. Went well for us (so far), as I'm 15 weeks now. We knew we didn't have the bandwidth to manage twins, and I doubted my body's ability to carry twins. We didn't want to run the risk.

Goog luck!
LM
Quote
Like
Share

bethphx
bethphx

September 3rd, 2011, 9:46 pm #8

but depending on the cost of each transfer - FETs are fairly cheap here but dont know about USA. My reasons for doing a single embryo transfer is not because you may end up with twins but if your lining is not perfect I wouldn't waste the embryos but then again if it was really good I would consider putting in two in the hope that one would take, maybe my reasoning is a little off but I would rather have twins than waste 2 embryos if the lining
It seems that many other clinics are 2-3K...so it's a big chunk each time...clinic has higher than avg success rates though. I just don't think my lining will get much better- at least it hasn't this year- and to be honest I think that is just my nml lining and probably got preg with my DD with that...
Quote
Share

Joined: September 13th, 2008, 5:13 pm

September 4th, 2011, 3:18 am #9

Ok so getting ready for an FET the week of Oct 10th. As you know I did a transfer end of July which resulted in great initial betas, that stalled out, increased and ended up miscarrying at 5 wks...We have 13 great looking blasts still frozen. Reallly the only issue has been my thin lining which we got to just over 6mm last time. I also am worried that it was the switching from PIO to suppositories without having levels check (the clinic doesn't check again) that may have contributed so my plan is to stay on the PIO this time. So obviously we want the next one wo work and are consideirng transferring two embies. My initial thoughts were to do another SET and then if this one doesn't work, then move on to two at a time, but with my thin lining, I am almost thinking we should transfer two at a time now. Clinic has 55% FET success rates and mant still do SET with there FETs at his clinic. He hasn't given me an estimate of what the chances for twins would be in my situation but I will ask next week. What do you ladies think? We would love to have one kiddo at a time, but if you ask me if I would rather have no pregnancies or a twin pregnancy obvioulsy I would choose twins! But I am thinking maybe we should still do 1 or two more SET's first. It's just so hard financially. I wish this were free and I could just transfer one at a time until it worked.... Thanks for listening...
I love my twins, but I didn't have any previous LO's. Know it's hard; know it's $$$, but it's much better to have a singleton. {{Hugs}} Know it's hard to decide; been there. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
Quote
Like
Share

bethphx
bethphx

September 4th, 2011, 2:27 pm #10

next time especially because of my daughter having special needs but like I said I would rather come out with twins than no babies for sure so will move on to transferring 2 eventually. I think twins woulod be awesome as well but there is risk, it's harder on your body and would make caring for my daughter harder....thanks for the opinions
Quote
Share