How many to transfer?..newbie question

How many to transfer?..newbie question

Pip
Pip

November 14th, 2011, 5:05 pm #1

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to DE and currently just finished my BCPs and waiting for AF to arrive so I can start estrogen.
I am in the UK and going abroad for DE. My donor is totally anonymous, I will not even know her age until I get a BFP.The clinic use vitrified eggs, although I have requsted a fresh donor cycle but it depends on the day, also they use ICSI.They take to embryos to day 3 only.The donors are generally students in their early 20s.
So I am really in a quandry as to how many embryos to transfer. I am not adverse to having twins but would prefer not to but I really want this to work.. I have been waiting so long for a baby
My heart says transfer two.

I wonder what your thoughts are?

November 14th, 2011, 5:44 pm #2

says about the embryos on day 3 to make a final decision. Clearly factors involved are quality of embryos, how well you 'do' implantation e.g. and skill of clinic.

However, I personally would counsel that you have 2 day 3s transferred.

I had a frozen donor embryo transfer of 2 x day 3 embies and ended up with twins. If you transfer 3 then you really do need to be prepared for twins IMHO.

What are the clinic's stats. like for twins?

Why are they not considering taking the embies to blast?

My twins were conceived in IVI Valencia and am yet to have any info. from the clinic except blood type and age of donors, despite being promised more.

My twins are now aged 5 and I still do not know whether their donors were actually Spanish or not.

In my case, I have chosed to be completely open with my two and started telling them about DE from birth. I would love to know their donors' nationality and a bit more about them.

Anyway, lots of luck for your transfer...

Best,
Daisy
xxxx

November 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm #3

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to DE and currently just finished my BCPs and waiting for AF to arrive so I can start estrogen.
I am in the UK and going abroad for DE. My donor is totally anonymous, I will not even know her age until I get a BFP.The clinic use vitrified eggs, although I have requsted a fresh donor cycle but it depends on the day, also they use ICSI.They take to embryos to day 3 only.The donors are generally students in their early 20s.
So I am really in a quandry as to how many embryos to transfer. I am not adverse to having twins but would prefer not to but I really want this to work.. I have been waiting so long for a baby

I am in the U.S., but went overseas to the Czech Republic for treatment for financial reasons (mostly). Anyway, I didn't know that any European clinics were using vitrified eggs. Personally, I'd rather go to a clinic that takes the embies to blast, especially if you'd rather avoid twins. Yeah, w/3d embies, I'd transfer two. But if you haven't already put your money down, I'd go to another clinic. Even at KRMG in Zlin, which is pretty stingy about donor info, they'll give you your basic donor info before tx. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Pip
Pip

November 14th, 2011, 6:48 pm #4

Hi Ladies,

Daisy- I'm at IVI Valencia too. The clinic I used for trt with OE has a link with it so that swayed me.
It must be disappointing for you not to know the donors nationality.I do feel Valencia take the anonimity thing to extremes, I heard that some of the other IVI clinics will give you more information and Spanish law does allow you to know much more than Valencia tell you.

I did not hear that I would get so little information until after I had paid for the treatment so unfortunately I am tied.However if it doesnt work I think I will go elsewhere.
Thank you for your advice!

November 14th, 2011, 6:53 pm #5

(if you haven't already), is to make sure you and DH are up to date with relevant testing to check for issues which cause DE to fail.

These include,
Uterine
Thyroid
Sperm
DH karyotype
Clotting issues
autoimmune issues
Infection (you and DH)

The GP can do many of these basic tests, and I would urge you both to try and do as many before cycling.

Despite lack of information about my donors, I just want to say that IVI are extremely professional and competent (one of best clinics in Europe) and my treatment there was very, very good.

I am of course delighted that my cycle there resulted in two beautiful children who are the love and light of my life and I do not regret a single moment that it took to bring them into the world.

Best of luck to you,
Daisy
xxxx

November 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm #6

Hi Ladies,

I am traveling too, but to Czech Rep. I had two fresh cycles which failed and in both instances I transferred two 5-day blasts. The donors were first time donors, young, the first had a child already so I considered proven on that basis but the second donor was not proven.

Then, the third cycle I really considered transferring three due to my previous lack of success but my donor for this cycle was proven with one lucky recipient before me currently pregnant and I was to be her second donation cycle. So I took this as better odds and decided to stick with two again and not put back three. I have one frozen blast out of that cycle. The great news is that I just got bfp on home test and go for beta end of the week! So I am glad now I only went for two again.

Good Luck Pip with whatever you decide.

Pip
Pip

November 15th, 2011, 10:01 pm #7

Thank you Aoife and congrats!!! nt

verynew
verynew

November 16th, 2011, 8:41 pm #8

Hi Ladies,

27 yo donor, anon, in Argentina. If you dont want twins, be careful with 2 as there are a few ladies on the board who ended up with twins on transferring 2. If you are OK with twins, 2 is preferable. However, if you are transferring one only, preferably if your clinic grows to blast, thats better. Good luck