how many embies to transfer

how many embies to transfer

jmassage
jmassage

September 5th, 2012, 2:35 am #1

This is our first DE cycle. Transfer should be sometime next month if all goes as planned, so we have some time. I am having a difficult time deciding on how many envied to tfer. One or two...I am 34 and we did ivf with OE in Jan. Only had one to transfer on day 3. It was 8 cell. I got BFP but m/c at 6 weeks. Twins feels so overwhelming, but I'm fearful if we only implant one it won't stick. It's a proven donor and I believe both recipients from the previous cycle had very high first betas. Do the chances of multiples go up a lot?? I plan on talking to the doctor on Fri about this. We have had so much disappointment over the last three years so part of me wants to play it safe and go for two in hopes that at least one sticks. But that other part of me gets overwhelmed thinking about multiples. Such a hard decision.

September 5th, 2012, 3:09 am #2

My rule of thumb is only transfer as many as you'd be comfortable raising - The chances of DE working are SO much higher than OE - I did an elective single embryo transfer (eSET) in March and I'm thrilled to be pregnant. I know it's hard to rationalize after disappointment with OE cycles, but it really is a different ballgame with DE - and hopefully you can freeze some embryos just in case you're on the down side of the odds....

September 5th, 2012, 5:54 am #3

Hi ya,
If you would be ok with twins then go for a two emby transfer. If not go for a SET. I did a two emby transfer and had one. I was dissapointed at the ultrasound but thats the way it goes.
By the time you get past transfer and are in the 2ww it is really in the hands of the gods. this is how I used to think at that point anyway.
best wishes to you, THK

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 5th, 2012, 2:04 pm #4

This is our first DE cycle. Transfer should be sometime next month if all goes as planned, so we have some time. I am having a difficult time deciding on how many envied to tfer. One or two...I am 34 and we did ivf with OE in Jan. Only had one to transfer on day 3. It was 8 cell. I got BFP but m/c at 6 weeks. Twins feels so overwhelming, but I'm fearful if we only implant one it won't stick. It's a proven donor and I believe both recipients from the previous cycle had very high first betas. Do the chances of multiples go up a lot?? I plan on talking to the doctor on Fri about this. We have had so much disappointment over the last three years so part of me wants to play it safe and go for two in hopes that at least one sticks. But that other part of me gets overwhelmed thinking about multiples. Such a hard decision.
When we did our first DE cycle. I thought twins would be overwhelming, so we only transferred one. Unfortunately, that cycle turned out to be a chemical pregnancy. The second time, we transferred two frozen ones - and one took, with a really good beta. My RE says that even if you transfer two, there's only about a 20% chance of twins, so I would tell you to go with what makes you the most comfortable.
Regardless, I wish you the very best of luck this time!!!

September 5th, 2012, 2:30 pm #5

My first fresh cycle (young, proven donor) failed. That was a SET, which my clinic highly recommended due to their stats and the embryo quality. That was a BFN. I was already 43, had a 2 year old at home and a FT job, and a sick mother I was helping care for. I had to drive a distance to get to the clinic, monitoring, etc. I just could not imagine continuing to do SETs and I too felt that my chances were better by transferring two. My RE was not happy with me but they did it. Twin boys born big and fiesty at 36 weeks. I love them to death and of course can't imagine life without one of them.

Multiple pregnancies are more risky, statistically, but that doesn't mean your's would be. I have known lots of women pregnant with singletons that ended up on bedrest, leaking fluid, pre-eclampsia, etc. But the increased risk (to you and babies) is something to seriously think about.

If you are scared about twins and you can afford to do SETs (financially and time-wise) that is a great option. Good luck!

September 5th, 2012, 3:17 pm #6

When we did our first DE cycle. I thought twins would be overwhelming, so we only transferred one. Unfortunately, that cycle turned out to be a chemical pregnancy. The second time, we transferred two frozen ones - and one took, with a really good beta. My RE says that even if you transfer two, there's only about a 20% chance of twins, so I would tell you to go with what makes you the most comfortable.
Regardless, I wish you the very best of luck this time!!!
With transferring 2, the chance of twins can vary a lot by clinic - my clinic has 50% twin stats, so for me it was a no brainer to transfer one.. Also, keep in mind that even with all this science nature can still throw a curve ball with natural twins

LizLA
LizLA

September 5th, 2012, 3:52 pm #7

Tx 3 great blast and we were hoping for twins...Only one perfect baby:)

September 5th, 2012, 4:58 pm #8

I would really think about tx'ing only one on a 5-day tx if you have no other known gyn issues. Yes, twins are pretty overwhelming. And you will almost surely have a safer and less complicated pregnancy with a singleton. But I know how hard that decision is. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

September 5th, 2012, 7:38 pm #9

As someone said, clinic stats vary widely. Our RE strongly recommended transferring only one, and we followed that advice and now have a healthy 9-month-old. He did come 7 weeks early, though, so I can only imagine the problems we might have had with twins. I was 43, so age was probably also a factor in the doc's thinking. Also, bear in mind that getting pg and staying pg are two different issues. I gathered from our RE that our chances of live birth might actually be better if we transferred only one.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Dee
Dee

September 5th, 2012, 9:28 pm #10

I used to transfer 2 embryos, now I will only consider clinics who allow me to transfer 3. I have had a few failures with donor egg IVF and we have some problems with male factor infertility, which means they have to use ICSI to fertilize the eggs. Male factor problems can sometimes affect successful outcomes with DE. I also believe that eggs from young donors can have problems. I took 3 last time and taking 3 again this time.