How long did you stay at work...

How long did you stay at work...

April 25th, 2012, 3:46 pm #1

and when did you deliver? Trying to decide when to request maternity leave, and wondering if due dates tend to be more accurate for DE moms. Thanks in advance! (FTM with singleton due on 8/31)

April 25th, 2012, 4:34 pm #2

Your 12 weeks of FMLA leave includes any bed rest or leave you take related to your pregnancy, plus your actual maternity leave after delivery. So I worked until my doctor said stop, even though I might as well have been a traffic bollard sitting at my desk for the last two months. That was 35 weeks with twins. I delivered about two weeks later, so I effectively got ten weeks of maternity leave. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

ETA: I was induced at just shy of 38 weeks due to a BP spike and fear of pe. W/a singleton, especially if you're younger, that's less likely to happen.
Last edited by maggie1961 on April 25th, 2012, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 5:28 pm #3

and when did you deliver? Trying to decide when to request maternity leave, and wondering if due dates tend to be more accurate for DE moms. Thanks in advance! (FTM with singleton due on 8/31)
nt
Last edited by Maybelline on August 15th, 2016, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 5:46 pm #4

DD was about 10 days early but I was planning on working as long a possible. I figured I would need the time after dd came more than before she was born. I felt pretty good so didn't have any issues working.

April 25th, 2012, 6:22 pm #5

Well, with my DD (OE) I literally worked until noon of the day I went into labor. I work at a school and my maternity leave fill-in was lost and confused about the testing she needed to do so I was there with her even though I was sick (fever and sore throat). Went home, fell asleep, went into labor at 11 p.m. That was 38 1/2 weeks. With the twins I worked until 34 weeks (which was way too long) and my water broke at 36 weeks. That 2 weeks off was good for me, but I had a younger child at home so I wasn't just resting. I think everyone is different and every pregnancy is different. You'll have to see how you're feeling as you go on.

April 25th, 2012, 6:33 pm #6

DD was about 10 days early but I was planning on working as long a possible. I figured I would need the time after dd came more than before she was born. I felt pretty good so didn't have any issues working.

Thanks. That's what I thought I would aim for.

However, I do fear having my water break on the subway or in the middle of a meeting, so I was planning to work till one day before my due date. However, DH thinks I'm cutting it too close.

From what I have heard online, some women don't even have their water break, and contractions will start and last many many hours before they have to be taken to the hospital. Is that right?

April 25th, 2012, 9:45 pm #7

Sometimes the water doesn't break on its own and the OB does it. Mine broke but I never actually had contractions. We went to hosp after water broke but I didn't deliver dd for another 36 hours or so via C-sec. I thought when my water broke it would be a big gush but it was more like a continual streaming. If you are feeling okay I think you can work as long as you want to.

April 25th, 2012, 10:31 pm #8

but I have a sedentary occupation. I drive to work and sit. I wanted my maternity leave to be as much for the baby as possible. For me, there was no reason to start it before labor.

April 26th, 2012, 2:35 am #9

With both pgs., I intended to work as long as possible, but I had SPD both times & with #1, I was in agony by the end. I took 1 wk. off using annual leave & then delivered by planned c-section at 38 1/2 wks.

With #2, I planned to do the same thing, b/c the SPD was so bad. I was really upset that my ob/gyn ordered me out of work at 34 wks. b/c he was concerned about my blood pressure. Literally, I was cleaning off my desk crying I was so beside myself over it.

1 wk. later, at 35 wks., my water broke. So I only had a wk. off, which is what I would've planned, but it all happened much earlier that I expected.

In hindsight, I doubt I could've made it much longer short of a wheelchair. That's how agonizing SPD was for me.

You just never know & while you can plan, what happens toward the end of your pg. is often not predictable.

I was posting on the board at the time & had board friends warning me to be careful, but I was so intent on sticking with my plan. When my ob/gyn's nurse called & told me in no uncertain terms that I was done at work, it was very traumatic.

Hang in there & play it by ear.

April 26th, 2012, 12:37 pm #10

I had c-sections scheduled for both of my girls.  For DD 1 I took two days off prior to her birth on her scheduled c-section date.  For DD 2 I had a scheduled c-section date but she decided to come early.  I was at work having contractions and wasn't sure if I was in labor.  I ended up going to L&D to check and had her via c-section that same evening.  Good luck!

Pandora