How Eggs divided on shared cycle??

How Eggs divided on shared cycle??

Anon7
Anon7

June 18th, 2011, 2:01 am #1

Hi Ladies, Me again.

I know that my clinic, in the event of an odd # of eggs, will give the extra egg to the one who chose the donor first (not me in this case). I'm wondering how they divvy up the eggs, however? Do they put them all in a dish and then divide them at the end, or do they, as they are taking them out, go 1 for you and 1 for you. 2 for you and 2 for you, and so on.

I don't even know if this question has any relevance whatsoever. Not sure if it matters at all. But, on some level I feel like the option of "1 for you and 1 for you" and so on seems more fair.

Am I losing it?

Denise
Denise

June 18th, 2011, 3:38 am #2

Mature eggs one for me one for you..

demomone
demomone

June 18th, 2011, 3:41 am #3

Hi Ladies, Me again.

I know that my clinic, in the event of an odd # of eggs, will give the extra egg to the one who chose the donor first (not me in this case). I'm wondering how they divvy up the eggs, however? Do they put them all in a dish and then divide them at the end, or do they, as they are taking them out, go 1 for you and 1 for you. 2 for you and 2 for you, and so on.

I don't even know if this question has any relevance whatsoever. Not sure if it matters at all. But, on some level I feel like the option of "1 for you and 1 for you" and so on seems more fair.

Am I losing it?
it worked at my clinic. There is a primary and secondary recipient. The eggs are divided up if there are more than a certain amount fertilized.There is a minimum that would only make it a single recipient cycle. If it is an uneven number, the primary get the extra.
Good luck to you

June 18th, 2011, 10:42 am #4

Hi Ladies, Me again.

Am I losing it?
i've always done shared cycles and i've always been the primary recipient (except one cycle where i was secondary and cancelled at retrieval because she only produced 5 eggs and they all went to the primary. this won't be an issue for you, your donor sounds like she's doing great.)

whenever i get the fertilization call they'll say how many eggs i got and how many were immature, then how many fertilized. i think to myself, if they were immature why did you give them to me?!? this makes me think it's just a fair, even split. one for you, one for me... etc.

and, yes you are losing it
but it's completely understandable, cycling is maddening and the 2ww is even worse! with a day 3 transfer, at least you don't have to wait so long for transfer day, but then it's the longest 2ww in the world! looks like you'll be going to blast, but yeah... next week is gonna creep by.
Last edited by BabyCotton on June 18th, 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anon7
Anon7

June 18th, 2011, 3:27 pm #5

it worked at my clinic. There is a primary and secondary recipient. The eggs are divided up if there are more than a certain amount fertilized.There is a minimum that would only make it a single recipient cycle. If it is an uneven number, the primary get the extra.
Good luck to you
I may be thinking about this wrong, but I don't think so. They HAVE to divvy the eggs up before they fertilize them, because there are two different sperm from two different recipients that will be fertilizing those eggs.

I really don't like the idea that I might be considered a 'secondary' recipient since I've paid the exact same amount of $ and I've had to deal with the awful shots, appointments, etc. Hmmmm. It's probably a mute point so I won't get my high hormone back all raised on that one. Thanks for the input.

Anon7
Anon7

June 18th, 2011, 3:31 pm #6

Mature eggs one for me one for you..
but I'm trying to be calm, because I'm just really needing one good one, so if I don't have a bunch of frozens, but am successful, that's okay. Thanks for the input.

Anon7
Anon7

June 18th, 2011, 3:34 pm #7

i've always done shared cycles and i've always been the primary recipient (except one cycle where i was secondary and cancelled at retrieval because she only produced 5 eggs and they all went to the primary. this won't be an issue for you, your donor sounds like she's doing great.)

whenever i get the fertilization call they'll say how many eggs i got and how many were immature, then how many fertilized. i think to myself, if they were immature why did you give them to me?!? this makes me think it's just a fair, even split. one for you, one for me... etc.

but it's completely understandable, cycling is maddening and the 2ww is even worse! with a day 3 transfer, at least you don't have to wait so long for transfer day, but then it's the longest 2ww in the world! looks like you'll be going to blast, but yeah... next week is gonna creep by.
I'm POAS addict for sure. I'm already planning to start testing 5 days past transfer, which would = 10dpo. There's so much invested in this, I'm going to be even more terrified to POAS than I was with my 3 OE cycles. With those, I almost expected a failure but was still really hoping.... .

That sucks about the primary & secondary. Then the primary should be kicking in a little extra $, no? Grrrrr. See, I AM losing it! Calm blue oceans.

June 18th, 2011, 4:07 pm #8

That is the only fair way.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 18th, 2011, 5:15 pm #9

Another thing I always wondered is why can't the clinic wait to figure out which eggs are mature, then divide those among the recipients. I always wonder, what if by some freak of nature one person got lots of immature eggs and then one person got more mature eggs. It just seems like if we knew which were mature first, then divided those, then all recipients would be on the same footing and have an equal shot at least at that point (now once the sperm is added, all bets are off).

I'm sure there's some science to why the split is done right after retrieval, and not after determining what is mature and what is not, I just don't know or understand why.

June 18th, 2011, 5:42 pm #10

Hi Ladies, Me again.

Am I losing it?
They will usually divy up the immature ones too, just in case they might fertilize. If any clinic just starts dividing them as they are retrieved, then I wouldn't be too happy with that because then one recipient could get completely jipped.