How do most of you finance your DE cycle?

How do most of you finance your DE cycle?

Sarah-CA
Sarah-CA

November 16th, 2010, 3:31 pm #1

After having to exhaust a huge chunk of our saving after numerous IVF cycles with OE, we don't have much money left for DE cycle. I am curious to see how soon you ladies went straight to DE cycle after OE cycle. I am 34. I think I have some time. I was thinking of saving up and waiting to do DE 2 years later. Please share your thoughts with me.

W
W

November 16th, 2010, 3:44 pm #2

and NOT straight from OE to DE, unfortunately! basically we run them up, pay them down, then run them up again. no way was I going to go to a local bank in a small community and ask for a note for ART treatments, we might as well put it in the newspaper doing something like that. saving the money, forget it...there is NO time for that. we are lucky that we run our own businesses and we can write off a lot of our medical expenses, that does help, and outside of unforeseen disasters like a world recession, we do pretty well and can pay off our cards rather quickly. things are FINALLY improving here so hopefully no more set backs for us.

GL, I know the money end of this game can be quite a challenge, we are just over the 85K mark now ourselves.

W

Anon for this
Anon for this

November 16th, 2010, 5:32 pm #3

After having to exhaust a huge chunk of our saving after numerous IVF cycles with OE, we don't have much money left for DE cycle. I am curious to see how soon you ladies went straight to DE cycle after OE cycle. I am 34. I think I have some time. I was thinking of saving up and waiting to do DE 2 years later. Please share your thoughts with me.
We took a loan from DH's 401K. This way, we pay back ourselves. A loan from a commercial bank or credit union would have been insanely expensive.

November 16th, 2010, 6:06 pm #4

I am single and have a decent but not great job. I ended up spending about 20% of my annual income, 2 years in a row for OE IVF and then DE. For me it was a lot.

Once I decided to pursue DE I quickly realized I could not do it in the US. I chose Intersono Clinic in Ukraine. This was a wise choice because ultimately it took 3 tries with DE to get a viable pregnancy that turned into my kid. I saved up for each treatment/travel, etc...it was about 6-7K per attempt. Because I am single, I thought it would be really irresponsible to go into deep debt/borrow from my 401, etc...I am a pay as you go kind of person I guess.

Good Luck to you. This is a heart wrenching process and the financial stress and strain only makes it worse. I am very happy with my clinic and happy I chose the least financially stressful choice for me..

Take Care

November 16th, 2010, 6:06 pm #5

That is me, Aufrecht, not anonymous

Lizzie
Lizzie

November 16th, 2010, 7:16 pm #6

Luckily I have very good insurance, where everything (except donor compensation) was covered. If your insurance covers any of it, it pays to know your policy inside and out. Turns out even the BCBS rep didn't realize donor meds were covered. I had to point to the paragraph that clearly stated it before they would approve it.

Still, we paid the compensation and agency fees etc and altogether that was around 40k. That is over the course of 7 DE cycles (the first few was a known donor who did not charge us). My DD was finally born last year.

W
W

November 16th, 2010, 8:12 pm #7

and NOT straight from OE to DE, unfortunately! basically we run them up, pay them down, then run them up again. no way was I going to go to a local bank in a small community and ask for a note for ART treatments, we might as well put it in the newspaper doing something like that. saving the money, forget it...there is NO time for that. we are lucky that we run our own businesses and we can write off a lot of our medical expenses, that does help, and outside of unforeseen disasters like a world recession, we do pretty well and can pay off our cards rather quickly. things are FINALLY improving here so hopefully no more set backs for us.

GL, I know the money end of this game can be quite a challenge, we are just over the 85K mark now ourselves.

W
we do have some IF coverage as well on our policy.

slipped my mind.

W

November 16th, 2010, 10:42 pm #8

cost us $6,200 and they financed $2,000 interest free for one year. If fresh was unsuccessful, then FET's were at no charge (accept meds and monitoring) for the first 12 months. For a previous FET we charged it all on an interest free credit card and paid it off within the 12 months. SACRAFICE! SACRAFICE! SACRAFICE!

November 16th, 2010, 11:46 pm #9

Hi,
If I cycle in my own country, Australia, then our Medicare system covers a large proportion of it. Note that IVF cycles here cost around $6000 plus a pop and not the HUGE prices in the US.
However, last cycle I did in KL we couldn't claim Medicare so we self funded.
I thank my mom for that. She is no longer here but she left me money and I used some of it to cycle.
The cycle was sucessful and am 33 weeks pg tomorrow, TH

November 17th, 2010, 12:22 am #10

Which helped A LOT! (By the end, though, I just used credit cards!)

Maya