high success rate RE not enthusiastic

Dee
Dee

January 24th, 2014, 6:56 pm #1

I had a consult with a new RE a few days ago. I really want to work with him because his clinic has very high success rates, specifically for donor egg IVF. We went through my whole IVF history, with the last 4 failures I've had, and then he did not seem overly enthusiastic about working with me. Or maybe its just my imagination. He said, well, you can certainly try our clinic. I almost started crying because he did not seem overly enthused about working with me - he could probably envision me dragging down his excellent statistics. But he said he wanted to examine me right away. I've never encountered this during an initial consultation with an RE. I think he was thinking there is something wrong with my uterus, to have had so many failures. He seemed very surprised when he did the sonogram, that my uterus was totally normal and had a good lining size and pattern.

January 24th, 2014, 8:29 pm #2

First, you may well be right that he's concerned about bringing down his clinic's stats. But he could be thinking about a dozen other things. He may have been absorbed in considering what might be causing your failures. He may not have a great bedside manner. He might have hemorrhoids. I wouldn't read too much into his wanting to examine you right away. I have been startled at some of the things women here and on another board have posted that they learned after several cycles. Wishing you only good luck as you go forward! Maggie (in VA)

Dee
Dee

January 24th, 2014, 8:40 pm #3

Whatever is wrong (if anything) with me cannot be determined by sonogram or even hysteroscopies. I've had tons of them, done by the best doctors in the USA. The only test left is an HSG, and some more immunology testing. Then I am done with testing.

We are going to do more testing on my husband's sperm. This RE thinks he has something that can help my husband.

Anne
Anne

January 24th, 2014, 9:41 pm #4

I had a consult with a new RE a few days ago. I really want to work with him because his clinic has very high success rates, specifically for donor egg IVF. We went through my whole IVF history, with the last 4 failures I've had, and then he did not seem overly enthusiastic about working with me. Or maybe its just my imagination. He said, well, you can certainly try our clinic. I almost started crying because he did not seem overly enthused about working with me - he could probably envision me dragging down his excellent statistics. But he said he wanted to examine me right away. I've never encountered this during an initial consultation with an RE. I think he was thinking there is something wrong with my uterus, to have had so many failures. He seemed very surprised when he did the sonogram, that my uterus was totally normal and had a good lining size and pattern.
Went to a top clinic after 2 DE cycles elsewhere. I wanted their "magic" screening to see if there was something the other clinic was missing. When nothing turned up, they said it was probably an embryo problem and they see it all the time. I asked if I could bring the same donor we failed with, they said sure as long as she passes the screening.

They knew about my various immune diagnoses and meds (yes I went through all that) but dropped that stuff. Said I needed better embryos, they see this everyday (we had transferred 14 embryos, they didn't care and didn't screen me out). Not only is the lab better at a top place, the stim phase for the donor is handled much better, resulting in better quality eggs. They said eggs and embryos get stressed out and weakened from sloppy stim and lab work. We never thought embryo quality was a problem, our donor was 25 and made lots of eggs, we thought it would have been easy for the old clinic to make good embryos from that.

The top clinic said they see this crap all the time.

On transfer day they only wanted to tx one blast, despite my bad history and transferring 3 at a time at the old clinic. They certainly were not worried about keeping up the high stats, if they were they could have suggested I tx 2 or declined treatment altogether. They said most of their DE business was from people with failed cycles elsewhere, making the high stat numbers even more impressive.

January 24th, 2014, 10:37 pm #5

I'm assuming it was. He may just not have a very demonstrative nature. I'm sorry-- when you already feel fragile, it doesn't take a lot to leave you shaken. I'm sorry that this happened! As you said, your uterus looks great, and he didn't turn you away. Maybe he just lacks bedside manner??

Hugs,
Sophie

Dee
Dee

January 25th, 2014, 12:24 am #6

Went to a top clinic after 2 DE cycles elsewhere. I wanted their "magic" screening to see if there was something the other clinic was missing. When nothing turned up, they said it was probably an embryo problem and they see it all the time. I asked if I could bring the same donor we failed with, they said sure as long as she passes the screening.

They knew about my various immune diagnoses and meds (yes I went through all that) but dropped that stuff. Said I needed better embryos, they see this everyday (we had transferred 14 embryos, they didn't care and didn't screen me out). Not only is the lab better at a top place, the stim phase for the donor is handled much better, resulting in better quality eggs. They said eggs and embryos get stressed out and weakened from sloppy stim and lab work. We never thought embryo quality was a problem, our donor was 25 and made lots of eggs, we thought it would have been easy for the old clinic to make good embryos from that.

The top clinic said they see this crap all the time.

On transfer day they only wanted to tx one blast, despite my bad history and transferring 3 at a time at the old clinic. They certainly were not worried about keeping up the high stats, if they were they could have suggested I tx 2 or declined treatment altogether. They said most of their DE business was from people with failed cycles elsewhere, making the high stat numbers even more impressive.
Would like to know which clinic that was that you cycled at.

I too, have failed with transfers of 3 embryos. I now realize my clinic always transfers 3 fresh embryos because they probably have poor success rates, and this is a way they try to bump it up. That should have been a red flag for me that my clinic was not so great.

You are right about the quality of the lab. Dr. Saleh told me the quality of the lab is the most critical component. If the lab is a poor quality one, the resulting embryos are often poor quality.

Mimi
Mimi

January 25th, 2014, 7:47 pm #7

Whatever is wrong (if anything) with me cannot be determined by sonogram or even hysteroscopies. I've had tons of them, done by the best doctors in the USA. The only test left is an HSG, and some more immunology testing. Then I am done with testing.

We are going to do more testing on my husband's sperm. This RE thinks he has something that can help my husband.
If you haven't had an HSG, that's potentially huge. An HSG is the only test, to my knowledge, that can detect if there's fluid in the fallopian tubes, which sometimes happens when they get partially blocked. That fluid, leaking into the womb, can torpedo a pregnancy with a perfectly healthy embryo. The HSG test itself sometimes unblocks the tubes and solves the problem.

Best of luck!

January 25th, 2014, 10:47 pm #8

Good luck with the HSG - it's not too much fun but a really valuable test - It's required at my clinic (ORM) before cycling at all (OE or DE IVF) so it's odd your RE hasn't ordered one before IVF, much less with 4 under your belt - goodness! Even my regular gyn suggested it before pursuing intervention from RE. Hope you get some answers and success at a new clinic

Dee
Dee

January 26th, 2014, 2:39 am #9

If you haven't had an HSG, that's potentially huge. An HSG is the only test, to my knowledge, that can detect if there's fluid in the fallopian tubes, which sometimes happens when they get partially blocked. That fluid, leaking into the womb, can torpedo a pregnancy with a perfectly healthy embryo. The HSG test itself sometimes unblocks the tubes and solves the problem.

Best of luck!
I had an HSG but it was over 5 years ago.

January 26th, 2014, 4:59 am #10

HI Dee,
I can imagine how you must be feeling hurt right now. Listen petal have you read Dr Beer's book 'Is your body baby friendly'. If not then get it and read it from cover to cover. iMHO it pretty much covers why things could not be working for ladies ttcing. I felt megga hopeless then got that book and had hope my problems could be sorted. Read it and go from there.
I wish you well Dee. its hard when doctors don't seem optimistic but you only need one embryo to stick and you are on your way. Don't look back honey bc you are not going that way, best, THK